Who Is Paul Ryan?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I am focused on financial, tax, regulatory, foreign policy and defense issues as I believe they are the places where the current government is going the wrong way. And I expect these are in the top 10 for Romney/Ryan.

Both candidates are, however, strong family values advocates and have elsewhere argued that the foundation of a strong nation rests in culture and the building block of that is a strong nuclear family.

Does this perspective trump the five issues I note above? I don't think so as the policy proposals and legislative initiatives that each has out there don't reflect any substantive agenda for social mores tinkering. The perspective is more likely the motivation behind the complex yet practical approach they are shooting for.

There are lots of hot buttons for American liberals like abortion and gay rights, but despite what Romney and Ryan feel individually these are not shown as being in any way a legislative or regulatory priority. They are not activists in those arenas.

Based on everything I am reading and listening to, they really do believe that if the economy is fixed, many social issues will be as well.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still highly upset with the GOP for such abuses as Terry Schiavo, defending DOMA, denying adoption to gay couples, and numerous other social/cultural issues.

Trust in them to focus only on fiscal/regulatory/tax issues must be earned, not bestowed.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still highly upset with the GOP for such abuses as Terry Schiavo, defending DOMA, denying adoption to gay couples, and numerous other social/cultural issues.

Trust in them to focus only on fiscal/regulatory/tax issues must be earned, not bestowed.

I know where you are coming from. I guess we will see how their platform evolves but I think it is most likely that they will stay away from those issues than be activist for or against.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
VIDEO: Erskine Bowles: Ryan budget is "sensible...honest, serious"

Erskine Bowles, Clinton's former Chief of Staff and co-chair of Obama's budget-deficit commission (the recommendations of which Obama completely ignored) had some interesting things to say about Paul Ryan -

“Have any of you all met Paul Ryan?” Bowles asked. “We should get him to come to the university. I’m telling you this guy is amazing.

“I always thought that I was okay with arithmetic, but this guy can run circles around me.

“And he is honest, he is straightforward, he is sincere. And the budget that he came forward with is just like Paul Ryan. It is a sensible, straightforward, serious budget and it cut the budget deficit just like we did, by $4 trillion…

“The President came out with his own plan and the President as you remember, came out with a budget and I don’t think anybody took that budget very seriously. The Senate voted against it 97 to nothing.

“He, therefore, after a lot of pressure from folks like me, he came out with a new budget framework and, in that new budget framework, he cut the budget deficit by $4 trillion over 12 years. And, to be candid, this $4 trillion cut was very heavily back-end loaded. So, if you looked at it on a 10 year basis and compared apples-to-apples, it really was about a two and a half trillion dollar cut.”

Of course we know that Harry Reid's Democrat controlled Senate has unanimously rejected every single one of Obama's budgets. And year after year after year refuse to bring up one their own, while not allowing budgets that the House passes year after year after year to come to a vote.

I wonder what the vote would be if a Simpson-Bowles budget was actually introduced.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Still sticking with the ad hominem attacks, eh boys? That is what is known as a logical fallacy.

Can't you do a bit better than that? :cool:

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
The House Budget Committee produced three videos, narrated by Paul Ryan, that I found to be clear explanations of their budget proposal, how they intend to address Medicare and how to approach tax reform for growth.

Paul Ryan explains without the filter of political media; well worth watching what will likely be coming down the pike should Romney/Ryan win in November...

The Path to Prosperity: America's Two Futures

The Path to Prosperity: Saving Medicare

Path to Prosperity: 3 Steps to Pro-Growth Tax Reform

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
tumblr_m8r46meYBl1rv57kko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m8piscdA5h1rv57kko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3eowjJVR21rv57kko1_400.jpg

tumblr_m3cxo5afoc1rv57kko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3b8wji9Oi1rv57kko1_500.png

https://twitter.com/PaulRyanGosling/status/234760423071686656

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
The endorsements keep coming in. Now former Sen. Alan Simpson, co-chairman of the Simpson-Bowles commision on debt and deficit reduction has some very positive things to say about Paul Ryan -

POLITICO - Alan Simpson: Paul Ryan speaks 'hard truth'

By TOMER OVADIA | 8/17/12 5:50 PM EDT

Former Sen. Alan Simpson, co-chairman of the Simpson-Bowles commision on debt and deficit reduction, on Friday called Paul Ryan “a spokesman of hard truth against fakery.”

“He encourages me. Erskine [Bowles] and I felt he was one of the sharpest guys we dealt with,” Simpson said on Fox News. “He doesn’t have to have a staff member there feeding him stuff and little memos. He can go a half an hour without a note. He knows the issues.”

“He also said to us — I think a year and a half ago — you know, ‘If we can’t get something done in America, there’s no need for me to smash my head into the wall around here, I have things to do back in Wisconsin,’” Simpson recalled. “And now, this thing [the GOP vice presidential nomination] comes to him, I don’t think he was seeking it, but let me tell you, he becomes a spokesman of hard truth against fakery.

When asked if he was offended that the Simpson-Bowles plan “is collecting dust on a shelf,” Simpson predicted its return.

“No, because it’s maybe on the shelf, but it’s like Dr. Frankenstein is about to come by and inject some electrodes into the corpse and it’s going to rise from the shelf,” Simpson replied. “Let me tell you, everyone is saying — or a lot of people with the, you know, with clarity — are saying this baby has not gone away.”

Simpson also said he wasn’t optimistic that Congress would make progress on addressing the fiscal cliff before the November election.

“These guys will do nothing, either party, nothing, just B.S. and mush, the whole way through,” he said. “Then, between the Nov. 6 and Dec. 31, they’re going to be really mucking around in 5 to 7 trillion bucks of quicksand. And it will have to be discussed.”

He later added: “I didn’t think that Erskine would ever say that we would go over the fiscal cliff, but Erskine says we will go over that cliff now.”

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
A former Republican senator speaks out in support of his party's Presidential ticket? Wow, quite a shocker. It's a world gone mad, I tell you.

:D