Who Is Paul Ryan?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I am not going to post much this weekend as I have plans with my family, but I thought that I would first like to offer up a reference to the best introductory article on Paul Ryan that I have read this morning.

No, it is not a rah rah puffery piece from the RNC, nor is it the all too typical caricature that comes from rabid Democrats and so-called "progressives."

The piece comes from The Weekly Standard, a conservative publication with a reputation for independence from party politics. It is an interesting and thoughtful perspective, published before Romney's pick, that neither panders to nor demonizes Ryan, but attempts to capture some of the nuances that have put him into the national spotlight.

Man with a Plan
How Paul Ryan became the intellectual leader of the Republican party
by Stephen F. Hayes

For many in this forum Paul Ryan is a relatively unknown policy wonk.

Paul Ryan is, of course, the Chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives Budget Committee, where he works to bring fiscal discipline and accountability to the federal government. He is a senior member of the House Ways and Means Committee, which has jurisdiction over tax policy, Social Security, health care and trade laws.

His life work has been to deal with complex realities. Unlike Joe Biden, Paul Ryan is no intellectual lightweight.

This election will determine whose ideas will guide the nation for the next four years.

Ryan has old-fashioned goals like saving America from fiscal bankruptcy, economic stagnation and a European-style entitlement state. Most people would agree those are well worth pursuing, his opponents say otherwise.

It should be no surprise that Mitt Romney, a finance guy, a guy that builds extraordinarily talented teams, that looks for intellectual capability and forthrightness, has picked Paul Ryan as his #2.

This will be a dirty election. Democrat lies, distortions, mockery and knee jerk criticisms have begun. But these attacks, like those which greeted Sarah Palin, are not meant to do more than demean and deflect from the appallingly weak record that Obama has. The attacks won't elevate the discussion nor are they meant to clarify the policy choices that each side offers. They are simply attacks on the person and not the ideas.

Paul Ryan, like Mitt Romney, is a very hard man to demonize. So maybe, just maybe, we will have a battle of ideas this time around. I would like that.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Wow. You say this is an independent evaluation?
Or were you being sarcastic?
Or is it a troll?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Screwing workers for giant corrupt corporations in league with religious extremists with a alliance of uninformed public lied to by talk radio is "old fashioned America"?

Maybe 1930s Germany. Not the USA.

Jan 25, 2011
Independence from party politics??? You lost me at

This will be a dirty election. Democrat lies, distortions, mockery and knee jerk criticisms have begun.

Mea culpa. Read the part below the link as though it was from the article.

Read the article and it's a fluff piece. Telling particularly when it comes to the segment on his budget proposal. Details how much GOP in congress loved it. Nothing about the wide ranging criticisms it received from multiple independent sources and the general public.

Last edited:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
..a conservative publication with a reputation for independence from party politics...

what the heck does that mean? Who are you trying to kid?

enjoy the time with your family!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Q: Who is Paul Ryan
A: The final nail in Romney's November, 2012 coffin.

Thanks GOP

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Not a single poster thus far has bothered to read the linked article.

Not a single poster thus far has a clue as to who Paul Ryan is.

But they still jump from thread to thread to throw a tantrum.

Good times, good times. :awe:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
That was a surprisingly unbiased take on Ryan and the Democrats, I will have to look to that site more in the future for their blatantly fair and balanced political opinions. :)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I am not going to post much this weekend as I have plans with my family, but I thought that I would first like to offer up a reference to the best introductory article on Paul Ryan that I have read this morning.

No, it is not a rah rah puffery piece from the RNC, nor is it the all too typical caricature that comes from rabid Democrats and so-called "progressives."

The piece comes from The Weekly Standard, a conservative publication with a reputation for independence from party politics. It is an interesting and thoughtful perspective that neither panders to nor demonizes Ryan, but attempts to capture some of the nuances that have put him into the national spotlight.

Man with a Plan
by Stephen F. Hayes

Paul Ryan is, of course, the Chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives Budget Committee, where he works to bring fiscal discipline and accountability to the federal government. He is a senior member of the House Ways and Means Committee, which has jurisdiction over tax policy, Social Security, health care and trade laws.

His life work has been to deal with complex realities. Unlike Joe Biden, Paul Ryan is no intellectual lightweight.

This election will determine whose ideas will guide the nation for the next four years.

Ryan has old-fashioned goals like saving America from fiscal bankruptcy, economic stagnation and a European-style entitlement state. Most people would agree those are well worth pursuing, his opponents say otherwise.

It should be no surprise that Mitt Romney, a finance guy, a guy that builds extraordinarily talented teams, that looks for intellectual capability and forthrightness, has picked Paul Ryan as his #2.

This will be a dirty election. Democrat lies, distortions, mockery and knee jerk criticisms have begun. But these attacks, like those which greeted Sarah Palin, are not meant to do more than demean and deflect from the appallingly weak record that Obama has. The attacks won't elevate the discussion nor are they meant to clarify the policy choices that each side offers. They are simply attacks on the person and not the ideas.

Paul Ryan, like Mitt Romney, is a very hard man to demonize. So maybe, just maybe, we will have a battle of ideas this time around. I would like that.

where he works to bring fiscal discipline and accountability to the federal government
Uh, no. Where he works to keep tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the credit rating of the United States

Unlike Joe Biden, Paul Ryan is no intellectual lightweight.
Biden has a doctorate in jurisprudence from Syracuse University while Ryan has a B.A. from Miami University

Ryan has old-fashioned goals like saving America from fiscal bankruptcy, economic stagnation and a European-style entitlement state
Ryans tax plan will increase the deficit. His policies are the very ones that caused the current fiscal problems. He wants to end the American program of Medicare

This will be a dirty election. Democrat lies, distortions, mockery and knee jerk criticisms have begun.
The Republicans started it with their ad saying Obama wants to end welfare reform when he actually wanted to do exactly what Mitt Romney and Republicans asked him to do. Worst dirtiest ad I have seen in a long time.

Paul Ryan, like Mitt Romney, is a very hard man to demonize.
Oh, no you didn't go there. Romneys record of destroying jobs and Ryans plan to kill grandmothers will make it very easy to demonize them.

Your whole premise that you are posting a piece from a far right wing site like the Weekly Standard and claiming they have a reputation for independence from party politics would make a maggot throw up. The Weekly Standard is owned by Rupert Murdock and Newscorp

Last edited:

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
I can tell you who he isn't: the 45th Vice President of the United States of America.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
you have no leg to stand on.

Haters gon' hate, playas gon' play.

0ff.gif

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

The piece comes from The Weekly Standard, a conservative publication with a reputation for independence from party politics. It is an interesting and thoughtful perspective, published before Romney's pick, that neither panders to nor demonizes Ryan, but attempts to capture some of the nuances that have put him into the national spotlight.

Man with a Plan
by Stephen F. Hayes

A very long winded opinion piece.

How much was Mr. Hayes paid for this rather large dollop of fluff?

Those things come from both sides, or are you too wrapped up in yourself to notice?

Social Security going insolvent: all too true. Maybe we should put an end to putting the interest from the SS funds into the General Fund.

Medicare insolvency: we probably need to revamp Medicare Part D and quit paying fixed prices for medications. That's already cost us several hundred billion in the few short years since it was enacted.

Government waste in general: Term limits for congresspersons and no lifetime pension; you're there to do the country's business, you're not there so that you can be taken care of for the rest of your life. While we're at it they can start paying real world prices for their meals at the congressional cafeteria.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Paul Ryans 1'st congressional district in South East Wisconsin is a district in flux. The Northern part near Milwuakii is a Union strong hold, the Southern part may have been more rural but i now trending suburban.

In 2008 Obama carried the first over McCain while Ryan, then a non entity, won again in 2008.

What is not known yet is will Ryan campaign as both the Romney VP and also as a safety try to retain his congressional seat?

And despite Pjabbers high opinion of Ryan, Ryan is going to be very contraversal. Not only as a 18 carrot phony who never cut any GOP budgets, but also Ryan hype will make him into a very desperate character as he threatens to become the grinch as he steps on the third rail of American politics, namely social security.

But Romny done made his VP pick, and in November of 2012 we will all know how wise it was?

Why should I add in more partisan hype than there already is. As we will be all sick of of Partisan hype by November 2012. As I advise everyone, regardless of partisan affilaition, to stock up on barf bags that will sell at premium by mid-October.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I can guarantee you that Republican congressman are on the phone to Romney right now telling him he has to disavow Ryans Medicare proposals or they will lose the house big time and Romney is finished as a candidate.

I guaran-f*cking-tee it.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Biden has a doctorate in jurisprudence from Syracuse University

Um, you do realize that a doctorate in jurisprudence is a plain vanilla law degree right? As in every lawyer in the country has one. And, while it pains me to say this as a Syracuse University alum, in contrast to S.U.'s top ranked schools of Communications and Public Affairs, Syracuse University's law school ranks all of 96th in the country.

Joe Biden is an idiot with a long record of moronic statements and gaffes that makes Sarah Palin's record of public statements look like Thomas Jefferson's. Biden earned poor grades in both college and law school and was later found to have plagiarized a law review article in a law school paper. An interesting foreshadowing of Biden's more well-known incident of plagiarism during his ill-fated campaign for the Democratic Presidential nomination in 1988.

If Biden were a Republican, he would have been hounded from office by the media decades ago.

I'm still not going to vote for Romney though.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I had a GREAT weekend sailing! Having been out of the country for quite a while I forgot how much fun can be had in the Maritime Republic of Eastport!

I see that Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan had an AWESOME weekend as well! :awe:

You might not know it if your worldview comes from the HuffnPuff Post or MSDNC or by the humongous number of (Obama/DNC/CPUSA approved) hate threads against Ryan on ATPN (guys, do you REALLY need so many threads to basically say the same thing over and over again - just do one thread and repeat yourself, oh, say, 1,000 times, or until you are blue in the face) but the headlines elsewhere read like the Romney/Ryan team are gathering steam.

GALVANIZED - ROMNEY, RYAN DRAW MASSIVE CROWD IN NC

ROMNEY CAMPAIGN RAISES $3.5M WITHIN 24 HOURS OF RYAN PICK

RYAN SPEECH: 'IF YOU HAVE A SMALL BUSINESS, YOU DID BUILD THAT!'

HUGE CROWDS LINE MANASSAS STREETS FOR ROMNEY-RYAN

10,000+ ROMNEYRYAN RALLY IN WI

A0I6HoqCEAAgvnp.jpg:large

OK, OK, just so the Obama fanboyz don't feel left out of alllllll the excitement...

OBAMA CAMP: 1,000 ATTENDED 'HALF-FULL' FUNDRAISER

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
From what we know of Ryan's "plan" is that it has no specifics on how he plans to remain revenue neutral.

We see more tax cuts, that are disproportionally tilted towards the mega-rich, and a complete dismantling of Medicare as we know of it today. Republicans in Congress don't believe in Medicare, and the voucher system in Ryan's plan is their way of systematically dismantling it. We see cuts in infrastructure, education, science/tech. We see the doing away of subsidies for clean energy while keeping subsidies for Big Oil in place. We see NO meaningful cuts to our bloated defense.

Please tell me how this is forward thinking. This is pure lunacy and anyone arguing otherwise hasn't even bothered to read his "plan". Republicans in this country are a joke. The sooner we can eradicate this political party from existence, the better.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
[ ... ] (guys, do you REALLY need so many threads to basically say the same thing over and over again - just do one thread and repeat yourself, oh, say, 1,000 times, or until you are blue in the face) ...
Physician, heal thyself. There were already at least four active Ryan threads when you started this advertisement, and all you've ever done here is "basically say the same thing over and over again". :)