Who here plays hockey? *update* bought all my stuff!

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm just getting into this now; at 25 years old I finally have the money to buy some equipment. I'm a decent enough skater, and last night I went to a stick & shoot at the local ice rink. I did better than I thought I would. So I think I'm going to join a league or something. I need to buy some equipment though. What can you tell me about the equipment? Some of it is very expensive, I don't want to make that kind of investment. Any advice you can give is appreciated.

*update* Well with some smart shopping, I got everything I need, now to go play some hockey! I found some things on sale at the local Sports Authority, and bought some things on sale from HockeyMonkey.com.
-CCM 852 Shoulder Pads
-CCM 852 Shin Guards
-Itech 1055 Elbow Pads
(these three totaled $130)

-Easton Xtreme gloves ($30)
-CCM HP60 pants ($15!)
-Bauer 1000 helmet ($26)
-Socks, girdle, jersey, misc ($30)
-Nice Easton bag that didn't have a tag so they sold it to me for $25
-My old hockey skates, CCM Mustang 205's (don't remember what I paid, maybe $100)

Total comes to $356. Skates I bought probably 3 years ago, so the real price is $256! Not bad for a full hockey outfit! Some of the stuff is pretty bottom of the barrel (the pants), so those will be the first thing I upgrade, probably when end-of-season sales come around. The pants were really just to get me onto the ice. But the shin, shoulder, and elbow pads look like good quality stuff.

There's a stick and puck session in about an hour that I'm going to go to. I'm excited! :)

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2001
There are some places you can buy used equipment (it's pretty nasty, though). Don't skimp on the equipment. If it's a full contact adult league, you'll want good padding, it can get a little rough :D

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Lots of consignments stores and sport trader stores for that stuff .
Lots of it is like new esp if you are smaller than your avg teenager who outgrows it in 3 months.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: desy
Lots of consignments stores and sport trader stores for that stuff .
Lots of it is like new esp if you are smaller than your avg teenager who outgrows it in 3 months.

I'm 6 foot, 200 pounds. Not going to fit into any small teenager's stuff!

I was going to shy away from used equipment. After 2 hours of stick and puck last night, I was drenched in sweat. Anything used more than a couple of times is going to be nasty!

alareau

Sep 3, 2000
Just make sure you join a league that has a division of your caliber.

Also if you can wait till april - may, a lot of the stores will start have major sales on hockey equipement.

brentman

Dec 4, 2002
If you are unsure of how bad you want to play/will stick with it, Buying used stuff isn't that bad. Pants and helmet are gonna be the big cost aside from the skates. Depending on the league you are joining, you might not need shoulder pads. I rarely wear mine anymore in the two adult leagues I play in, though you might want them if you plan on blocking shots or being in front of the nets. Most of the gear is fine enough to protect you, it is merely a matter of how much you want to spend. Remember, it may feel uncomfortable at first, but you will break it in and most stuff will mold to you.

Try to go and play pick-up a few times, make some friends there. Talk to rink owners/managers as they can help you get on a team if you don't have friends that play.

Equipment is the least of your costs if you are hard on sticks. :( I broke a stick a week in high school hockey, but now mine last a lot longer (non-contact league and I quit taking slapshots). I still use wooden one piece sticks (~$15-35), a lot of guys prefer getting a nice composite/aluminum shaft and changing the blades (good idea til you get the thing bent in the boards or a door after your short warranty period). Find something that feels comfortable.

Well good luck to you, where are you located? Im near Pittsburgh if you are in the area.

Have fun, play hard! :)

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I've known lots of teenagers bigger than that.
But here in Canada I sppose we have a lot more equip available ;)
Sweaty? throw it in the machine. .

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: desy
I've known lots of teenagers bigger than that.
But here in Canada I sppose we have a lot more equip available ;)
Sweaty? throw it in the machine. .

Throw some shoulder and knee pads in the machine? :confused:

Brentman: I grew up around Pittsburgh, I'm heading there tonight actually. I used to go skating at Kirk Nevin when I was a kid. Or Schenley. Never been to Golden Mile, though. Maybe I should take my equipment and find some stick & shoot sessions this weekend.

brentman

Dec 4, 2002
You can always just fill a tub and soak the pads in it, then air dry em.

The rink in Delmont, PA is really nice. Golden Mile, if still open, is a complete sh!thole. Don't even waste your time. Last time I was there it was a nightmare... leaning boards, no ice around the boards just the cement floor, bumpy ice from leaks in the roof. Ugh, terrible.

I live right near Kirk Nevin, and the Center Ice Arena in Delmont (on Rt 22) is where I always play. Both are nice rinks though.

There should be sticktime sessions friday and saturday.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
I play goal... don't talk to me about expensive equipment! ;)

Seriously, to start out I'd recommend:

1) Skates: Get a mid-range pair. Low end cheapies lack ankle support, high end is overkill. FIT is the key here, they have to be comfortable. Walk around in them. Maybe look into the ones that can be 'baked' to your foot. Used skates isn't a bad idea as people often go out and buy the best, then find they picked the wrong fit, or just give up playing for whatever reason. At least take a look at used for skates. Check CCM and Bauer.

2) Shin pads: Just get a nice, mid to low end pair. You aren't going to be blocking shots or anything, so just get a pair that fit well and are relatively light. Again, used is worth a look here. Any brand is fine.

3) Pants: Go for FIT first off, and keep the price sensible. Pants are fairly generic across the board, but most important IMHO is butt protection on them as you are more likely to fall backwards a few times (happens to the best) and lower spine bruises from hard ice are no fun. I'd go new on these. Any brand is fine.

4) Shoulder Pads: Again, unless the store has a set that was worn, like once and is steeply discounted - go new. Pick out a set that has good sternum, spine, and shoulder protection - hard plastic (not just foam). But wear them in store and move your arms about - look for good, relatively unrestricted movement. Make sure they fit well. Koho and CCM are good brands for these.

5) Elbow Pads: Try to get hard-capped ones (with plastic where the elbow is). Any brand should be fine, and these don't need to be expensive.

6) Gloves: Get ones with long wrist guards and good padding. New gloves have come a long way in the last 5 years, so go new or nearly new. Make sure they fit well.

7) Neck guard: I highly recommend you buy a "Crouch Collar" or equivelant - its a collar that is designed for one thing - to lessen the chances of a skate cut to the neck.

8) Helmet: This is a BIG one, and surprisingly its the purchase most people skimp on. Get a GOOD helmet from CCM or Koho, make sure it fits, and for pete's sakes get good, FULL face protection (either clear lexan or a cage). Wear it properly. Remember you are only playing for fun, its not worth a head injury (or eye injury).

9) Sticks: Start out with mid-range wood and see how it goes. Koho, Sherwood, CCM, etc are good brands. Don't listen to the salesman who tries to sell you a composite like the Synergy - these are $100 and up and of questionable durability and benfit to all but the pros.

Good luck!

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Brentman, I don't know what kind of league you play in that people don't take slap shots and in which you can get away with not wearing shoulder pads, but Triumph should definitely wear shoulder pads.

Decent hockey equipment is expensive if you buy new... Do what you like with that information. I strongly suggest that whether you buy new or used you buy some quality eqipment (and yes, you can put everything in the washing machine).

Here are a few tips and comments on buying equipment:
- If you buy new, you'll be looking at spending a grand or more in equipment for something decent
- Personally, I like Bauer equipment but I'm not sure it's still availale in the US
- Stay away from anything that looks expensive, usually it's the same equipment as the cheaper models but with nice materials covering it up
- Make sure you buy something that allows you some flexibility, buying hulking huge pads isn't necessary

brentman

Dec 4, 2002
Raynor, our league allows slapshots, I just don't take them (cuz mine sucks). Being non-contact and the fact that I don't play defense, I dont worry about getting hit with a puck so I don't wear shoulder pads all the time.

Definitely look for pads that allow you mobility, as its the most important part of the game.

I think Optimus hit it right on with his suggestions.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Here's what I have already:
- Old CCM 205 Mustang skates. They're broken in for my feet, and I have strong ankles. I can skate with them barely tied.
- A cheap Bauer helmet (sorry Optimus!) but it does have a full face shield.
- Easton Xtreme gloves, I think they're the 2nd cheapest in the line.

Raynor is saying I'll be spending a grand in equipment. Looking at prices online, I can't see how that is unless you're buying top of the line everything. Pants are ~70, knee pads ~50, elbow pads ~40, shoulder pads ~70, bag ~50, plus whatever for jerseys and socks. That's ~300 not counting what I already have. So Raynor, your info seems to be conflicting... Good equipment costs 1000 dollars, but avoid the expensive stuff because it is just pretty'ed up cheap stuff. So what do you recommend?

brentman

Dec 4, 2002
Raynor is, or at least was, right about the ~$1000. Thats close to what you'd pay for all new stuff at a pro shop or whatever. Having skates and a helmet saved you ~400 and gloves can get expensive too.

Online shops seem to be cheaper tho, more selection too. I always try to go to a proshop and try stuff on, then order it online if i can find a better deal.

I have bought from epuck.com they are a good seller. I hear good things about hockeymonkey and hockeygiant also. It is a good idea to at least visit a proshop tho.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph
Here's what I have already:
- Old CCM 205 Mustang skates. They're broken in for my feet, and I have strong ankles. I can skate with them barely tied.
- A cheap Bauer helmet (sorry Optimus!) but it does have a full face shield.
- Easton Xtreme gloves, I think they're the 2nd cheapest in the line.

Raynor is saying I'll be spending a grand in equipment. Looking at prices online, I can't see how that is unless you're buying top of the line everything. Pants are ~70, knee pads ~50, elbow pads ~40, shoulder pads ~70, bag ~50, plus whatever for jerseys and socks. That's ~300 not counting what I already have. So Raynor, your info seems to be conflicting... Good equipment costs 1000 dollars, but avoid the expensive stuff because it is just pretty'ed up cheap stuff. So what do you recommend?

OK, what I meant was find good equipment not overpriced equipment for the looks. I was basing myself on what it cost me to get a decent set of equipment. I did it all in store for a full set of equipment and I was basing it in Canadian dollars. You'll see you can buy a chromed mask grill or a plain one, or

Good skates are easily $200-$300
Gauntlets are $100+
Helmet is $100+ for a good one with a good cage (I don't like the lexan)
Shoulder pads are $100 or so
Pants are $80+
Elbows are $40+
2 decent sticks are $70+ (and you'll be using more than 2 over a seaon)
Hockey bag is $50+
And there's a bunch of odds and ends I'm not mentioning and these are pretty conservative prices (again in CDN dollars).
I really recommend that you stay away from etailers, you're better off going to B&M and trying on the equipment for yourself.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
i suck at skating, always managed to hit people instead of the puck.

no hockey for me. ;)

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I only play roller hockey too.... I'm too small / non-physical to play in a contact ice hockey league. (5'7 140 lbs)

My suggestion though would be to NOT drop the cash on all that equipment until you play a few pickup games, find a friend or someone at the rink you can borrow equipment from at first. Nothing sucks worse than spending tons of money then deciding you don't really want to play.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I played hockey as a kid. It's very fun, great way to keep in shape or get into shape. If I could I would join up now but time just won't allow that.

Don't forget to air out your pads. I remember having to smell people's stank ass pads and it is a smell you DO NOT WANT to smell.

Check out www.greatskatecatalog.com or serach google for great skate catalog. I used to order all of my equipment from them.