Who here isn't into MMA?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I couldn't care less. Barbaric "sport" in my opinion. I don't understand why it's gotten so enormously popular in the past few years. I think it says something about our society. As we grow further and further apart from each other in our technological, twitter world, unspeakable violence becomes less revolting and more entertaining.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
Why do trashy people think wearing Tapout gear makes them look cool or tough?

This this and this.

Especially last year the sudden coming out of the gear, when people who knew nothing at all about MMA began to wear the clothes.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Another one here that isn't into it. Just can't get over the part where there's two sweaty, shirtless guys, sometimes in short shorts, arms and legs wrapped around each other, rolling around on the ground, sometimes grunting.
Not that there's anything wrong with that or remotely sexual about it.
Shhh! They get uncomfortable if you point out the homoerotic aspects of their "sport".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm indifferent until someone brings it up and questions why I'm not interested as if it is some sort of failing on my part.

Generally I ask such people if the established ways of dealing with the male desire to dominate other males are now so insufficient that they had to invent a new one which involved more overtly homosexual themes?

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm already watching/playing a sport with some MMA in it - Ice Hockey. :)

May 13, 2009
Love it. Also have a tapout tee I bought at Ross for $10. I'm not a wannabe mma fighter or Internet bad ass. Just enjoy watching some good ole fisticuff exchanges.

Chloraseptic

Jan 4, 2001
best sport out there in my opinion...
but buddy, you're wasting your time trying to convince people on a tech forum to like fighting.
especially with the growth and explosion of popularity of mma in the last 5 years, it's to the point where, it's almost cooler to not like mma.
see the numerous posts above for confirmation :/

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Grappling is way too fucking boring.

I don't want to watch 2 guys leg hump each other for better half of a fight.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Soon Penis Boxing will be all the rage. Just how tough would one need to be to pummel an opponent to unconsciousness with their Penis? Pretty god damn tough from what I can tell.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I dont watch MMA at all.
I understand and respect it, but do not get into it AT ALL. Nor boxing, or wrestling etc etc.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I couldn't care less. Barbaric "sport" in my opinion. I don't understand why it's gotten so enormously popular in the past few years. I think it says something about our society. As we grow further and further apart from each other in our technological, twitter world, unspeakable violence becomes less revolting and more entertaining.

Rome anyone?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
MMA is on it's way out, like poker a few years ago.

Doubtful on both, MMA is getting bigger and bigger. They had the biggest PPV last year IIRC. And Poker had the biggest turn out for the WPT this most recent one. Even with the economy as bad as it is, they're still setting buy in records at $10k a pop. Poker's also still on TV pretty much nonstop. You picked 2 good examples there :D

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
You cannot compare number of rounds to number of rounds, the variables are completely different in an MMA fight than in a boxing fight.

Most boxing matches are boring as shit because all you do is punch and clinch for an entire 12 rounds ( snoozefest ) while you are more inclined for an actual finish in an MMA 'bout because the fight can end in literally hundreds of ways.

Boxing is easier because you don't have to worry about:
[clips]

Can you honestly tell me if you were to pick between boxing and MMA, you'd pick MMA because it's less tougher? I would probably do boxing because all I wouldn't have to worry about all this shit above.

If you were competing in MMA and someone knocked you down, they would get on you like a pirahna whereas you get a count in boxing. How is MMA not more challenging and tougher than boxing?

12 rounds of boxing requires more stamina than lay and pray. Most fights end up on the ground and it's boring as sht, like college wrestling with striking added. You can't just rest on someone and gain energy in boxing, the ref will break you up. 12 rounds of boxing = 36 minutes vs 15 minutes of lay and pray. Whoopdeefckingdo.

Let me ask you, UFC fanboi: Is it tougher to pummel someone with soft boxing gloves or a real fist? UFC fights are shorter because they end quickly. To win in boxing you have to have skill. To KO someone in boxing takes much more skill than a KO in MMA because of stamina and the fact that you have to strike them many more times on average. MMA is a fad with rules that aren't even true to a real street fight, yet it advertises itself as such.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission currently lists the following as fouls:

1. Butting with the head
2. Eye gouging of any kind
3. Biting
4. Hair pulling
5. Fish hooking
6. Groin attacks of any kind
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent. (see Gouging)
8. Small joint manipulation
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head (see Rabbit punch)
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow (see Elbow (strike))
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh
13. Grabbing the clavicle
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
16. Stomping a grounded opponent
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck. (see piledriver)
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent
21. Spitting at an opponent
22. Engaging in unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent
23. Holding the ropes or the fence
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell (horn) has sounded the end of a round
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury
30. Interference by the corner
31. Throwing in the towel during competition

Small joint manipulation, you have got to be kidding me... It's nothing close to a real street fight, false advertising IMO. Bring us back the ball shots of UFC 1-5 where anything went, now that was worth watching. This bastardized version also makes me cringe when you see kids who think they're badasses because they practice UFC MMA; then they are dismantled in a real street fight in 5 seconds by someone who's read and perfected the Dirty Dozen (all illegal techniques by UFC standards).

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm not, I still prefer to watch a boxing match by a long shot. I did watch MMA in the very beginning, but after something like the 10th UFC (whenever they changed a bunch of the rules) I stopped watching. I try to watch matches here and there, but I can't get into it.

KT

Edit: Wait, I think I just saw someone say Boxing is easier. What a bunch of freaking nonsense that is. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

Last edited: