Who here isn't into MMA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Never cared to watch MMA, or any form of fighting for that matter.
I studied Tae Kwan Do for a couple of years before I enlisted, and after I got out, I studied under Sterling Peacock (Matthias David) in my youth, and while he technically wasn't MMA, (kenpo IIRC) he taught a wide variety of self-defense disciplines. Tae Kwan Do, kung fu, thai boxing, boxing, akido, judo, etc. Anything and everything was fair game in his classes. His philosophy was that you never hit your opponent more than 5 times. Twice to get them off their feet, once on the way down, twice more once they were on the ground/floor.

A few years after I studied with him, he went...a bit off the deep end...
http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general203.html

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
rc2cfp.gif

17zmgy.gif

e8a4vm.jpg

2u56lu1.jpg

hendersonbisbing2.gif

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Not interested in any "Fighting" style sport. Amateur/Olympic style Boxing is ok, but even that I have little to no interest in any more.

I don't mind the occasional hockey brawl, but that's because it's part of the Game and the result(most of the time) of some other incident. Fighting for the sake of Fighting doesn't really seem to be a "Sport" to me.

Last edited:

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I am not much of a sport fan. MMA is basically the only sport that interest me. I find the raw violence fascinating.
The sport is gaining more and more popularity.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Who here seems obsessed with convincing others that MMA is not an utter waste of time?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
It's cool. Can't say I've really gotten into it, but if I'm flipping through and it's on I'll usually give it a look.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
How is boxing better? MMA is boxing plus everything else.

Boxing is more skill. There is skill and pure brute in both sports but boxing is more skill. It's a matter of taste.

It's just ridiculously violent. It's like eating a deep fried Snickers bar, just too much.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Boxing is more skill. There is skill and pure brute in both sports but boxing is more skill. It's a matter of taste.

It's just ridiculously violent. It's like eating a deep fried Snickers bars, just too much.

I pray you're trolling because boxing is one aspect of MMA.

You need skills in:

- boxing ( head movement, hand striking )
- kickboxing ( defending against and throwing kicks )
- wrestling ( greco roman or freestyle )
- judo
- submissions/jiu jitsu ( to get out of submissions or apply them )

to be a somewhat well versed MMA fighter, not to mention combining them all and knowing when to use one or the other.

Not to mention you have to use those aspects/skills to defend against other unorthodox aspects - muay thai, various karate, etc.

Here are the skills you need to be a good boxer:

- boxing

There are high level boxers, judokas, wrestlers, jiu jitsu artists that try out MMA and aren't cut out for it because they fail to grasp the other aspects.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

It's just ridiculously violent. It's like eating a deep fried Snickers bars, just too much.

If MMA relies so heavily on brute force than any basically trained guy out of a bar could do it.

The most you could say is boxing is more focused, meaning boxers need to be really really good at boxing. Your average MMA may be less good at boxing in and of itself, but when you add in the other allowed techniques and possibilities it develops a complexity that puts boxing to shame. Just because the intricacies are more general doesn't mean they're inferior.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
I pray you're trolling because boxing is one aspect of MMA.

Ignore the debate about skill, that only a flame war waiting to happen. Its my opinion, you have yours. I never said skill is not needed in MMA, which is what I would have said if I was trolling.

My point is that MMA is "too much" to the point where it becomes just silly.

Furthermore the people who typically watch MMA I cannot relate to. Drunk 26 year old "hey brahs" with backward hats on. Just look at the companies that advertise on the rings.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Furthermore the people who typically watch MMA I cannot relate to. Drunk 26 year old "hey brahs" with backward hats on. Just look at the companies that advertise on the rings.

Oh, so boxing never caters to drunks? You've got to be kidding me. The demographic is pretty much the same, it's just a lot of older people are still loyal to boxing while a rapidly rising young demographic caters to MMA.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Ignore the debate about skill, that only a flame war waiting to happen. Its my opinion, you have yours. I never said skill is not needed in MMA, which is what I would have said if I was trolling.

My point is that MMA is "too much" to the point where it becomes just silly.

Pretty sure the drunk 26 year old ex-frat boys are common fans in most sports, and that certainly doesn't describe all of the fans (at least not the one's I've encountered). MMA is young, hasn't developed the "mature" audience of sports that have been around for half a century or more.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
Oh, so boxing never caters to drunks? You've got to be kidding me. The demographic is pretty much the same, it's just a lot of older people are still loyal to boxing while a rapidly rising young demographic caters to MMA.

Boxing is far more affluent in clientele. Just look at the advertising. End of story.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
I dont care for boxing or MMA. I don't get any excitement out of watching men beating the shit out of each other.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
Expand on this statement, please?

Boxing has many "restarts" in each individual match. A boxer gets a nice hit, knocks the guy down, ref stops the fight and starts to count, giving the other fighter time to get up and shake himself off.

In MMA, you get one nice hit and it's likely over for the other guy as you can keep pounding on him.

Compare it to a Superbowl like match where there is only one game, winner takes all, and to the NBA finals, where it's the best of 7. Overall the better team is likely to win whereas in NFL an underdog could easy claim victory.

And seeing guys jump on top of each other, breaking their arms and crap, punching over and over. I don't want sports for that, I watch it for the skill.