Who here is a huge fan of The Witcher 2?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Steelbom

Sep 1, 2009
Hello Steelbom ,

Witcher 2, one of the best PC games of all time for me. Probably the best RPG I've played in a loong time. I really liked it. Great visuals, an awesome story, and characters that aren't your stereotypical fantasy genre cookie cutouts of good or evil...
Indeed, it's one of the best for me also!
Now that my Ivy Bridge machine is built, I can finally play this game! :awe:
Nice... what GPU? :D

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Just finished my first play through the Enhanced Edition. I did Roche's path this time and found it to be incredible. While I hated the characters I was working for/with (Henselt and Dethmold especially) I felt like it was a very well put together campaign.

On my first play through, I got to Act 3 and followed the main quest and beat the game. If you don't do any side quests, Act 3 is over in a blink of an eye, especially on Roche's path. If you dig around and do the the gargoyle contract, enchanted document, and bygone era quests the game becomes very challenging and fun.

Especially Bygone Era, dear lord the Operator was hard. That quest had a great puzzle and a boss fight that was incredibly challenging and rewarding.

However, the main weakness of this game is the story line. Not that it is a bad story, but that a vast number of the conversation expect you to remember everyone and every location. Remembering and keeping track of everything can be very frustrating, thankfully the journal helps a lot, but it doesn't help you when you are talking to some noble spouting off about the political arrangement of some place. The Enhanced Edition did help by adding Dandelion's little cutscenes summarizing what happened at the end of the chapters. Even if Dandelion's voice acting is terrible.

Also the game is GORGEOUS. The forest your travel through when doing the Act 3 quest, Lilies and Vipers. WOW.

Oh yeah and the Enhanced Edition was free. CD Projeck RED is amazing. They have accrued so much goodwill in my heart that when The Witcher 3 is announced I will be pre-ordering the collectors edition. These guys deserve every penny.

I kind of like this game a lot. Tomorrow my 7970s get here, I'll be starting a dark play through :twisted:

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I just finished Act 1 for the first time. Went with Iorveth. I like the game a lot, now that I've actually started playing it.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Just beat it on dark difficulty. The difficulty is not that hard once you get the first set of Dark armor. But getting that first set is incredibly hard. Farming Nekkars on dark mode at the beginning of Act 1 is insanely hard. Once you are over that hump it truly isn't that bad. The exception is one of the final fights is incredibly difficult.

This is very important for Dark Mode to be playable IMO:
http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/221?sid=DstHuvFvABwAysEyuxsDGzxzxyHwvCvxvtvGGBBD

I guess now it is time for Mass Effect 3 DLC, except I lost all my saves T_T

Steelbom

Sep 1, 2009
Just finished my first play through the Enhanced Edition. I did Roche's path this time and found it to be incredible. While I hated the characters I was working for/with (Henselt and Dethmold especially) I felt like it was a very well put together campaign.

On my first play through, I got to Act 3 and followed the main quest and beat the game. If you don't do any side quests, Act 3 is over in a blink of an eye, especially on Roche's path. If you dig around and do the the gargoyle contract, enchanted document, and bygone era quests the game becomes very challenging and fun.

Especially Bygone Era, dear lord the Operator was hard. That quest had a great puzzle and a boss fight that was incredibly challenging and rewarding.

However, the main weakness of this game is the story line. Not that it is a bad story, but that a vast number of the conversation expect you to remember everyone and every location. Remembering and keeping track of everything can be very frustrating, thankfully the journal helps a lot, but it doesn't help you when you are talking to some noble spouting off about the political arrangement of some place. The Enhanced Edition did help by adding Dandelion's little cutscenes summarizing what happened at the end of the chapters. Even if Dandelion's voice acting is terrible.

Also the game is GORGEOUS. The forest your travel through when doing the Act 3 quest, Lilies and Vipers. WOW.

Oh yeah and the Enhanced Edition was free. CD Projeck RED is amazing. They have accrued so much goodwill in my heart that when The Witcher 3 is announced I will be pre-ordering the collectors edition. These guys deserve every penny.

I kind of like this game a lot. Tomorrow my 7970s get here, I'll be starting a dark play through :twisted:
Yeah it's really good. But yeah there's a lot of information, but don't worry -- after you've done five or ten play throughs it all starts to sink in :p :thumbsup:
Just beat it on dark difficulty. The difficulty is not that hard once you get the first set of Dark armor. But getting that first set is incredibly hard. Farming Nekkars on dark mode at the beginning of Act 1 is insanely hard. Once you are over that hump it truly isn't that bad. The exception is one of the final fights is incredibly difficult.

This is very important for Dark Mode to be playable IMO:
http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/221?sid=DstHuvFvABwAysEyuxsDGzxzxyHwvCvxvtvGGBBD

I guess now it is time for Mass Effect 3 DLC, except I lost all my saves T_T
It's pretty tough, but try it with your starting armour and without Quen :p. I'm up to Act 2 and I'm using the same weapon and armour I started with, Raven's Armour, Moon Blade (Silver) and Mahakaman Rune Sihil. Will buy armour as soon as I find the one that gives me bonus bomb and/or trap damage.

Steelbom

Sep 1, 2009
I finished Witcher 1 today. Debating 2 vs Skyrim.
I've got hundreds of hours in Skyrim, The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 1. It all depends on what you want. Skyrim has an epic world with lots of stuff to explore, but TW2 has an amazing storyline and great graphics.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007

I played the two back to back, and I have to say that I felt the Witcher 2 was better in nearly every way to Skyrim. That said, once you finish the Witcher 2, you can play Skyrim. I suggest playing another game between since the relative bad combat mechanics and graphics in Skyrim will drive you nutty otherwise, since the Witcher 2 will still be fresh in your mind as a comparison.

Last edited:

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
Any rumors or news on a DLC for Witcher 2? I felt the ending either sets up for an expansion or Witcher 3... either way W2 is one of the most bad ass rpg's i've played in a while. I also loved the combat mechanics especially compared to Witcher 1.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Any rumors or news on a DLC for Witcher 2? I felt the ending either sets up for an expansion or Witcher 3... either way W2 is one of the most bad ass rpg's i've played in a while. I also loved the combat mechanics especially compared to Witcher 1.

Not that I've heard - but they are working on a Cyberpunk game. I can't wait for that but probably a few years out (it was just announced). But, they also stated they also started up a second team so one team might continue with The Witcher series.

Steelbom

Sep 1, 2009
We'll definitely see The Witcher 3, but it's at least two years away from release if not three.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I just picked up The Witcher 2 somewhat recently (thanks to suggestions from people here, and the fact that got it for $20 (non-EE) and got said EE upgrade for free), and I have got to say... even after only recently finishing the tutorial and making a brief foray into Chapter 1 thus far, I am really, really enjoying this.

For this type of game, a really good story makes it that much better on its own (I've got other titles if I want mindless entertainment), and I must say, on my first play through, I am already attempting to figure out second and third-order effects of choices.
If I enjoy it enough, it might also be the first game I ever even think about playing again and actual mean to finish up.
With the promise of missing possibly hours of content throughout the game due to choices made, I really want to play different roles for this game. [I have said that before for other games and it never happened, so... we'll see. :D]

But the combat, for an RPG, I've really enjoyed, and it's super early in the game.

I *rarely* play a game more than once. But I fired up a second play-through of the Witcher 2 as soon as the credits rolled, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004

I finished Witcher 1 a few days before Witcher 2 was released last year, and immediately picked it up and continued the story. It was awesome.

Go straight for W2, skyrim can wait.

mple

Oct 10, 2011
I think this thread may have convinced me to put Skyrim aside for Witcher 2. I did a thorough run through of Witcher 1 last year, but put Witcher 2 aside since my schedule was packed and I needed a stronger rig. Witcher 1 had a fantastic storyline, something I have not yet found with Skyrim. I only put about 30 hours into Skyrim, mostly doing miscellaneous quests, but I'm feeling a serious disconnect between myself and TES world. To be fair though, I've yet to do any of the "good" questlines in the game.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
What's the best way to get Witcher 2 for the PC right now?

Depends. If you wanna fully support the developer, buy it straight from GOG, since that money goes directly to CDP Red (same company.) Though you can get it for $10 cheaper from Amazon.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Depends. If you wanna fully support the developer, buy it straight from GOG, since that money goes directly to CDP Red (same company.) Though you can get it for $10 cheaper from Amazon.

The $10 cheaper on is not the enhanced edition. Amazon is only about $2 cheaper on that one.

To the last poster, thanks for the heads up...I will wait for the sale.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
The $10 cheaper on is not the enhanced edition. Amazon is only about $2 cheaper on that one.

To the last poster, thanks for the heads up...I will wait for the sale.

Enhanced edition is a free add on.. you can download that later. There is only one version of Witcher 2 that you can buy.. everything else like patches, add-ons, etc are free.

I'd say just buy the cheapest one you can get hold of.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008

I'd go for Skyrim first!

The combat is soo much better in Witcher2 that's not even funny. I found it difficult to get back to Skyrim once I played EE for Witcher 2.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Ok, I finally got around to playing Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition. For the love of God can someone tell me what the 4 small icons on the left of your inventory mean.

wsaenotsock

Jul 20, 2010
I enjoyed this game, mainly the excellent graphics and smooth combat feel. The combat and movement system is really exceptional and the strong point of this game. But overall I felt it was lacking compared to dragon age origins or mass effect 2 for example. The main reason is the story was too linear (I thought the story itself was enjoyable though). You can't really break out of what you have to do next, you are really chained in and I don't like that feeling in a RPG game. To compare- Skyrim is of course the purest sandbox, but in ME2 and DAO you have way more wiggle room to do what you want compared to the Witcher. You are very clearly pushed to the next part of each quest and roped off into areas that you cannot go to.

The other thing was the items were limited and boring, and the weapon types are extremely limited (by design) as you can only really have your two swords which behave identically, and then a trap/bomb. So even though the combat behaviour is very fluid and fun, it eventually gets boring because there is just no variation. And the character specialization does not really enhance the combat at all. It affects damage, costs of abilities and durations mainly. So knowing that I could not significantly change the way my character operated in combat was a big reason I didn't bother playing through again, where as I had played through ME2 and DAO twice.

But as a single player game it doesn't need to have great replayability to be a good game. It is a good game just not a classic. When it drops under $20 on steam I recommend everyone to try it because that's about what it's worth.

Last edited: