Who here has researched BB10? (poll)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you looked deeply into BB10?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The key difference between Windows Phone and Blackberry is that no one has really heard about Windows Phone (surprising, I know), but people clearly have a negative perception of Blackberry. The latter is far harder to correct than the former.

That's not really true. Windows Mobile wasn't as widespread as Blackberry at its peak, but a decent amount of people had it (and hated it). Just last week I was trying to convince someone that Windows Phone really was something completely different from her old HTC Tilt.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
That's not really true. Windows Mobile wasn't as widespread as Blackberry at its peak, but a decent amount of people had it (and hated it). Just last week I was trying to convince someone that Windows Phone really was something completely different from her old HTC Tilt.

The smartphone market today is totally different from the one 5 years ago. Most people have no idea what Windows Mobile even is. What I'm saying is that if you showed someone a Windows Phone and asked who made it, they'd have no idea it was from Microsoft.

Jul 10, 2007
I really haven't taken the time to look at BB10 or the new hardware. I just can't even imagine what they could possibly do at this point to make me leave Android for them. I'd sooner buy an iPhone than a Blackberry at this point.

I'd get a Windows Phone before I get another bb.
Unless of course my work issues me a bb.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The smartphone market today is totally different from the one 5 years ago. Most people have no idea what Windows Mobile even is. What I'm saying is that if you showed someone a Windows Phone and asked who made it, they'd have no idea it was from Microsoft.

That is certainly true, I'm just saying that there are certainly still people out there who know about windows mobile, and would instinctively avoid a Microsoft-made phone because of that.

And for the record, I did have several WM devices and actually liked them (T-Mobile SDA, Dash, HTC Touch pro 2, HTC HD2), but that's me....

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
That is certainly true, I'm just saying that there are certainly still people out there who know about windows mobile, and would instinctively avoid a Microsoft-made phone because of that.

And for the record, I did have several WM devices and actually liked them (T-Mobile SDA, Dash, HTC Touch pro 2, HTC HD2), but that's me....

That's a really, really, really small percentage of people these days, and those people today are most likely the heaviest of Android hackers because that's what they enjoy.

But the general public? Saying Windows Mobile draws a blank stare on their face. They have no reason to hate it because they've never used it.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
But the general public? Saying Windows Mobile draws a blank stare on their face. They have no reason to hate it because they've never used it.

If they're teenagers or middle aged, sure. However, those in my age group (25-35 range) are much more likely to have had a Windows Mobile phone, or known someone that did.

I'm not sure why you're so intent on arguing this. Like I said, I just had this conversation with someone in 'the general public' as you call it. These people really do exist, I've already agreed that it's a smaller group than those with similar thoughts on BlackBerry, but whether you like it or not those people are still out there.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
If they update my unused Playbook to BB10, I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'm not going to consider them for a phone before either staying with Android or moving to WP8. RIM is a distant third for me.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
If they're teenagers or middle aged, sure. However, those in my age group (25-35 range) are much more likely to have had a Windows Mobile phone, or known someone that did.

I'm not sure why you're so intent on arguing this. Like I said, I just had this conversation with someone in 'the general public' as you call it. These people really do exist, I've already agreed that it's a smaller group than those with similar thoughts on BlackBerry, but whether you like it or not those people are still out there.

I'd say the people 18-25 are driving more of the smartphone growth than 25-35 today. Probably different sides of the same coin.

Actually, I'm not even sure what we're arguing about any more. Regardless, BB10 will almost never be mainstream and relegated to business use if Microsoft and Apple don't run out out from that area either. If only Dell created an updated Dell Venue Pro with it's slide-out keyboard, I think Blackberry would be dead. =/

Sep 29, 2004
If they update my unused Playbook to BB10, I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'm not going to consider them for a phone before either staying with Android or moving to WP8. RIM is a distant third for me.

That will happen. Rumor is that it won't happen till this summer though.

Riceninja

Golden Member
May 21, 2008
Ya, BB10 will have movies, music and books in their store now.

BB10 will do everything a Droid can do.

theoretically yes, but will it have the latest and greatest? because the current flavor of the week is ruzzle/temple run 2 and all my friends are playing like crazy. will bb10 have it right out of the gate? because i'd hate for it to get it (if ever) when everyone else has already moved on.

i use twitchtv app to watch a lot of dota2 streams, will that be on BB10?

will it have skype right away? i use it to talk to business clients in china so it's a must.

will bb10 allow wifi file managers like airdroid, or SMB streaming apps? what about snes/n62/ps1 emulators?

and of course it better have a reddit app thats full featured and comparable to alien blue/reddit sync

im not trying to use extreme examples; these are apps i use on a daily basis. and don't tell me these apps are "coming soon", because we know how reliable RIMM is at that. part of the reason why i switched from a torch 9800 to android was because i was tired of these developers treating me like a 2nd class citizen.

im not even including into the discussion things like google now, open source rom flashing or samsung's wonderful multi-window support thats coming to my note 2. im just talking about the apps ecosystem that bb10 realistically has a chance at.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
RIMM has a told that can port most Android apps to work on BB10 in about 10 minutes. If devs know this, they'd be stupid to not take advantage of it.

Latest games? Why do you need the newest fad game ASAP? If it matters to you, there are alot of Playbook games that are exclsuive and loved. What will happen when BB10 has a killer app you can't play on Android? If it come to Android and is popular, atleast it could be easily ported to BB10 (not visa versa)

No idea what twitchtv is.

Skype is rumored to be coming.

wifi file managers? Again no idea. But se comment on ease of porting android apps.

Emulators. See comment on porting Android apps.

reddit app? No ida but see porting android app comment.

The answers will all be here in 5 days. I'm sure more details will come.

I guess what I am saying is that most of what is available on Android can be ported to BB10 in about 10 minutes. I'd suggest contacting each company regarding this.

RIMM is being secretive about apps. Will Netflix be there is a big unknown. The announcement is in 4 days. I suggest you watch it to see what can be ascertained.

UPDATE 1:
Wi-Fi file sharing is native to the Playbook. It's safe to assume that this will be on BB10 at launch. Native to Android?

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
If they are being secretive about apps it's not a good sign, eventually or possibly isn't good enough when it comes to native apps.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
the only way the new BB can be a hit is if it comes with android out the box,there is no way in hell it has a chance when android is almost 80% world market share.

Sorry people are not going to adapt and change,its ios and android and windows is trying to push there os but its nothing compared to android and ios.

The sad part is this phone will go head to head with an 8 core Samsung 1080p gs3

Android is free to use so it would be stupid not to join the bandwaggon

Sep 29, 2004
If they are being secretive about apps it's not a good sign, eventually or possibly isn't good enough when it comes to native apps.

Why is it not a good sign? RIMM hasn't said anything. They want excitement at launch. They don't want to bring nothing to the table that hasn't been mentioned. If 99% of apps are known at launch, what is there to tell people?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
the only way the new BB can be a hit is if it comes with android out the box,there is no way in hell it has a chance when android is almost 80% world market share.

Sorry people are not going to adapt and change,its ios and android and windows is trying to push there os but its nothing compared to android and ios.

The sad part is this phone will go head to head with an 8 core Samsung 1080p gs3

Android is free to use so it would be stupid not to join the bandwaggon

That's foolish - when the iPhone came to be the market was dominated by BlackBerry and Windows Mobile. This market changes very quickly. And there are plenty of reasons not to - Samsung is the only OEM that's actually making money on Android, if you recall.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
That's foolish - when the iPhone came to be the market was dominated by BlackBerry and Windows Mobile. This market changes very quickly. And there are plenty of reasons not to - Samsung is the only OEM that's actually making money on Android, if you recall.

when the iphone came out it literally killed blackberry and gave us something completely new and put the whole market in a new direction.The market is now settled with ios and android and people will not switch over to something completely new.

Now that everyone is invested in an ecosystem they will not leave for something that is just about to come out from rimm.Now if this phone came out 2 years ago right as the ihpone 4 was hitting the streets it would of had a chance.

Too little too late bro and don't get your hopes up on it taking any market share from android or ios

I paid 30 bucks for my slingbox app that I can easily redownload on any android device I log into,that alone would keep me from switching platforms.

Do we know if the BB will use google maps? just look what apple went threw when they tried getting rid of google maps and used there own inhouse gps.Will it support the latest youtube app that is owned by google? will it alow movie rentals and run the same as it does on android? heck I don't even think the ios version does yet and that was not updated for years.

These things will make a HUGE impact on how the new BB does and people want there youtube and google maps as we saw what happened with apple.

Last edited:

CA19100

Jun 29, 2012
This is the company that released a tablet that couldn't even do e-mail without being linked with a Blackberry, and seemed genuinely surprised that it crashed and burned in the marketplace.

It's too little, too late, from a developer that's too slow to adapt. I don't care if it spits out gold ingots when I shake it; I'm not interested.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
when the iphone came out it literally killed blackberry and gave us something completely new and put the whole market in a new direction.The market is now settled with ios and android and people will not switch over to something completely new.

Now that everyone is invested in an ecosystem they will not leave for something that is just about to come out from rimm.Now if this phone came out 2 years ago right as the ihpone 4 was hitting the streets it would of had a chance.

Too little too late bro and don't get your hopes up on it taking any market share from android or ios

I paid 30 bucks for my slingbox app that I can easily redownload on any android device I log into,that alone would keep me from switching platforms.

Do we know if the BB will use google maps? just look what apple went threw when they tried getting rid of google maps and used there own inhouse gps.Will it support the latest youtube app that is owned by google? will it alow movie rentals and run the same as it does on android? heck I don't even think the ios version does yet and that was not updated for years.

These things will make a HUGE impact on how the new BB does and people want there youtube and google maps as we saw what happened with apple.

Hopes up? I couldn't care less if blackberry 10 is successful, just because I won't buy into your obviously false "no other platform can ever succeed" nonsense doesn't mean I'm pleading for this particular one to be the one to do it.

People buy new smartphones every two years. Its very different than most other markets. Not to mention many people only download free apps (especially Android users), so they aren't concerned with "buying in" to an ecosystem.

Look, don't worry, Android isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but that doesn't mean another platform can't succeed as well.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
Hopes up? I couldn't care less if blackberry 10 is successful, just because I won't buy into your obviously false "no other platform can ever succeed" nonsense doesn't mean I'm pleading for this particular one to be the one to do it.

People buy new smartphones every two years. Its very different than most other markets. Not to mention many people only download free apps (especially Android users), so they aren't concerned with "buying in" to an ecosystem.

Look, don't worry, Android isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but that doesn't mean another platform can't succeed as well.

Ya ok bud.tell that to the people that are nested into there ecosystems.People buy smartphones but they usually stick to what they have and that's IOS and ANDROID and most will not even bother changing.

Like I said this new BB is 2 years late to the game.Rim as a platform has failed before and will fail again,heck its already a fail before it comes out and you don't have to believe anything I say but its the truth.

Try getting someone that has had an iphone for 3 years and have them switch to an android or windows phone,its not happening!!! and the same goes for most people that have had android for 2-3 years.

ITunes music alone keeps most people on ios and the same goes for android.I have about 600-800 worth of bought legal music in my iTunes acc.Do you think any of my family members want to leave all that and go to the new BB ?

Lets not forget that RIMM has already failed as the market changed in the past also

Why would a dev code for the new BB when android and ios own the market share? you can port all you want but it will run like crap not coded for its device from the ground up.

You somehow think over night rimm will have a music and app store like ios and android have? seriously ? lol lets not forget the open platform android has over ios and everyone else.Im sure people will wait days in line for the new BB

IM sorry I just don't see anyone really switching from ios or android to the new BB

Last edited:

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
This is the company that released a tablet that couldn't even do e-mail without being linked with a Blackberry, and seemed genuinely surprised that it crashed and burned in the marketplace.

It's too little, too late, from a developer that's too slow to adapt. I don't care if it spits out gold ingots when I shake it; I'm not interested.

Easily the most ridiculous release ever. Blackberry, the company known for making the e-mail phone, releases a tablet that can't do e-mail. Incredible.

That being said, I would consider giving it a chance. The UI looks... interesting (it looks very sleek but not very intuitive, imho). App support is going to be key.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Research it?
The phone hasn't been released and there is only 1-2 videos online showing some of the UI features. How about we wait for a full review?

With that said, not really hyped for BB10. iOS, Android, and WP8 would all be my choices over BB10 unless we see something amazing with BB10 on release.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
This.

BB has a huge image problem. Sat on their hands while the rest of the mobile world ran past them, thinking they could bank on profits from the corporate segment. In the meantime, average Joe citizen invested in IOS or Android.

I love my Blackberry, but I can't fault anyone for ignoring them.

If Google keeps spitting out $350 no contract Nexuses no one will be caring about BB.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Problem is I don't even think of it as an option. A really important thing is apps and the eco system. I'm invested in iOS and Android. Mean while BB10 is starting with far less, will probably have big important gaps and can't even remotely get me to leave behind what I already invested in.

So I really don't think of them as an option, because I think their boat has sailed. I may look at it a little closer at some point, I do realize I'm speaking from an uneducated opinion. I just have heard nothing at all that has gotten my interest up in BB10 though.

BB10 has over 70k apps, and something like 90+% of the top 100 apps on iOS and Android, and 19 of the top 20 apps on both platforms as well.

There were also stats that something like 50% of Android apps have been downloaded <10 times I think.

That's not "far less".

Timeshifting camera, new keyboard, the new hub/flow interface (iPhone 5 has the same interface as the original iPhone, and very similar to Android). Wifi phone calls. Visa-approved NFC mobile payments...

You know how you can wave your Visa card over the readers at the till to pay for things without swiping/signing? Yep, Visa has approved the BB's security and NFC system for that technology.

Sep 29, 2004
Rimm has a 7" tablet call the Playbook.

Initially it floppped. They upgraded the OS and people with OS2 like it. Hard to find these days. Rumor is thhat a new tablet is on the way.way