Who here has researched BB10? (poll)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you looked deeply into BB10?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 29, 2004
Research it?
The phone hasn't been released and there is only 1-2 videos online showing some of the UI features. How about we wait for a full review?

With that said, not really hyped for BB10. iOS, Android, and WP8 would all be my choices over BB10 unless we see something amazing with BB10 on release.

Theres alot of video out there. Id link videos for each feature but we're best off waiting 3 more days like you say.

Bb10, iOS and android are all going to have the same apps for the most part. I just think from everything I have seen that BB10 will have the best user experience.

I'm sure articles will be everywhere once the NDA is lifted.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
when the iphone came out it literally killed blackberry and gave us something completely new and put the whole market in a new direction.The market is now settled with ios and android and people will not switch over to something completely new.

Nothing is stopping another company from releasing an iPhone-like shakeup device. People were invested in BB and WinMo when the iPhone came out.

Similarly, it doesn't matter if people are invested in iOS and Android, it can still be taken over at any time.

Now I don't think BB10 is that OS, but nothing is an impossibility.

Sep 29, 2004
Its amazing how many people interested in new tech will avert their eyes from new tech.

Amazing

Ps: referring to those saying things@like they wouldn't get it evwn if it spat out gold nuggets.

Last edited:

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Ya ok bud.tell that to the people that are nested into there ecosystems.People buy smartphones but they usually stick to what they have and that's IOS and ANDROID and most will not even bother changing.

Some people do that, some people don't. It is foolish to claim it is a universal statement.

Like I said this new BB is 2 years late to the game.Rim as a platform has failed before and will fail again,heck its already a fail before it comes out and you don't have to believe anything I say but its the truth.

Fail is not a noun, I believe the word you were looking for is "failure". If you want to have a rational discussion it's best to not sound like a 12 year old.

Try getting someone that has had an iphone for 3 years and have them switch to an android or windows phone,its not happening!!! and the same goes for most people that have had android for 2-3 years.

A friend of mine had an iPhone and iPhone 3G and just upgraded to a Lumia 920. Another friend of mine that has had a few Android phones is waiting for the X10 (he likes keyboards). Additionally, I see people switch from Android to iOS and vice versa all the time. It really does happen.

ITunes music alone keeps most people on ios and the same goes for android.I have about 600-800 worth of bought legal music in my iTunes acc.Do you think any of my family members want to leave all that and go to the new BB ?

I have music purchased from iTunes, the Amazon store, and Zune. All of my songs work on all of my devices.

Why would a dev code for the new BB when android and ios own the market share? you can port all you want but it will run like crap not coded for its device from the ground up.

1) You can run Android apps with virtually no changes on BB10. Even if BB10 is only going to capture 5% of the market, why wouldn't you do it when it's virtually no effort on your part?
2) Studies have shown that Blackberry users, who tend to be more affluent business people, are far more likely to buy apps than Android users. It's a smaller market, but a market more likely to buy things. Devs like making money.
3) There is something to be said for being first to the market, or being a big fish in a smaller pond. I have apps that are on both Android and Windows Phone, and the download count between the two is actually comparable. Less competition. If you make apps that don't suck, they'll do well on these smaller platforms.

You somehow think over night rimm will have a music and app store like ios and android have? seriously ? lol lets not forget the open platform android has over ios and everyone else.Im sure people will wait days in line for the new BB
The company's name is RIM, you don't say AAPL when referring to Apple do you? They already have a music store, and I don't recall where I said anything you just accused me of, did I? Do not put words in my mouth.

IM sorry I just don't see anyone really switching from ios or android to the new BB

That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm not saying BB10 will take off, either - just calling out the ridiculousness of your statement that no one ever switches off of their platform or that there's no room for a 3rd player. That is simply false.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Haven't we already universally decided that the number of apps on a platform is a meaningless number? You want to know what does matter? Popular exclusive apps appearing only on one platform. For example, Vine by Twitter is only on iOS. It's not on Android, Windows Phone, and probably not BB10. IT doesn't matter if your preferred app store is chock full of apps if it doesn't have the hottest social craze (previously Instagram, but their ToS changes totally screwed that one up). And this cycle is going to keep continuing from now until the end of time.

Sep 29, 2004
dagamer,

That's one of the things RIMM pointed out a long time ago. Having 1 million apps in your store is not a competitive advantage. They gave some examples. I think they said there were 100 or 200 solitaire apps on iTunes at the time. You only need one. I just hope this means that RIMM is going to make sure that people don't keep submitting solitaire apps.

Is solitaire some sort of modern day hello world?

Sep 29, 2004
theoretically yes, but will it have the latest and greatest? because the current flavor of the week is ruzzle/temple run 2 and all my friends are playing like crazy. will bb10 have it right out of the gate? because i'd hate for it to get it (if ever) when everyone else has already moved on.

i use twitchtv app to watch a lot of dota2 streams, will that be on BB10?

will it have skype right away? i use

on and on and on about various apps that are used

Just read today that BB10 can sideload android apps. So, I guess my answer to all your questions is that yes, you can have it on BB10. And that app on BB10 everyone loves you do not get on Android.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Thing is you're asking us on a tech forum and we are much less likely to switch from what we're already comfortable, and most importantly, happy with using. General tech users who don't really care have no problem switching.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
1. Is the OP being paid by RIM to evangelize for their new devices?

2. Does Blackberry still charge an extra fee to use their BBM/email system? That killed any chance of me getting their device a couple of years ago and I haven't looked back since.

3. WTF would get excited about a mobile OS that has it roots in the corporate world? Not I. iOS and Android didn't and they are very popular today. Windows Mobile did and it is struggling (for many reasons). The future is not good for this BB10. When you have Steve "Developer developer developer" Ballmer hawking his failed OS at your conference, you've failed...

Sep 29, 2004
1) No. Curious mostly. This is a tech forum with dedicated section for mobile devices and no discussion of BB10. The question arose for that reason in part.

2) They are changing their fee structure greatly. I doubt that they will make you pay to use you google or yahoo or whatever e-mail account. They know times have changed.

3) What does the past have to do with the future? Most would consider it because they are open minded and willing to learn new things. What does Steve Balmer have to do with anything? Are you trolling me?

Last edited:

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Rimm has a 7" tablet call the Playbook.

Initially it floppped. They upgraded the OS and people with OS2 like it. Hard to find these days. Rumor is thhat a new tablet is on the way.way

They are hard to find in the US, but easy to find in Canada. I am typing this post on one.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
1) No. Curious mostly. This is a tech forum with dedicated section for mobile devices and no discussion of BB10. The question arose for that reason in part.

2) They are changing their fee structure greatly. I doubt that they will make you pay to use you google or yahoo or whatever e-mail account. They know times have changed.

3) What does the past have to do with the future? Most would consider it because they are open minded and willing to learn new things. What does Steve Balmer have to do with anything? Are you trolling me?

RIMM was so desperate that they invited Steve Ballmer on stage at one of their conferences. Ballmer being Ballmer, he hawked Windows Phone. It was actually sad to watch, for RIMM and Microsoft.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
RIMM was so desperate that they invited Steve Ballmer on stage at one of their conferences. Ballmer being Ballmer, he hawked Windows Phone. It was actually sad to watch, for RIMM and Microsoft.

Wasn't that Qualcomm not RIM?

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006

I have had a Blackberry for almost 4 years now and I haven't paid a dime more for the service than if I had any other data plan. Full access to all of my e-mail accounts from 3 different services. This is the first I've heard of someone having to pay extra for that kind of thing.

Last edited:

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
The OP's poll question makes me wonder; if I look deeply into BB10, will BB10 also look deeply into me?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Ya, BB10 will have movies, music and books in their store now.

BB10 will do everything a Droid can do. I's going to provide a much better interface for navigating the OS though (compared to iOS and Android). Also, a large focus for them has been to make it a device that focuses on communication from the ground up. All social media is integrated tightly (read about the BB10 hub)

No it won't, so stop trolling this POS company. They are irrelevant now. Our company is phasing them out as out thousands of other companies. Too little, too late.

A lot of speculating by you when you've never even used the product.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I really need to know. Most people in the USA ignore Research In Motion (RIM) and the Blackberry(BB) brand.

RIM has a new phone being announced in about 5 days (Jan 30).

I have to ask. have you researched the technology that BB10 brings to the table?

Start here and spend 2 minutes of your day starting your journey into learning about it. It actually is interesting, I promise.
http://youtu.be/mmND2-fkUD0

And you think if they really wanted to survive, they would have marketed and advertised the shit out of this release and announcement. But nope, even if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, nobody will care.

Too little and way too late.

Sep 29, 2004
Capt,

A quick FYI. Over 10% of fortune 500 comapnies have BB10 internally.

Also, their advertising budget for the next year is $1 billion. Which doubles Apple's ad budget. You sill see ads, including a superbowl ad.

You really don't know much about BB10. I invite you to actually do some reading. I highly suspect that RIMM's market share in the USA is about to reverse. PS: This is based on actualy information, not jsut a negative/positive attitude.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Capt,

Also, their advertising budget for the next year is $1 billion. Which doubles Apple's ad budget. You sill see ads, including a superbowl ad.

You really don't know much about BB10. I invite you to actually do some reading. I highly suspect that RIMM's market share in the USA is about to reverse. PS: This is based on actualy information, not jsut a negative/positive attitude.

They should have been advertising months ago, too little too late. Only a single 30 second Super Bowl ad? With that supposed budget? They're idiots. RIM RIP.

Last edited:

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Capt,

I'm not sure what this is meant to imply. The best ad of all is from people owning your product and Apple has that in spades. It doesn't even need to do advertising at this point really.

And if ads really were the key to solving a sales problem, don't you think Microsoft would have tried that already?

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20059271-266.html

Also, looking at the OP's avatar tells me that he is more than "curious". Looking at the "Death of RIM" thread tells me he either works for them, with them, or he really likes their products...
He owns their stock. ;)
He made a big bet on RIMM while others were betting on stupid companies like OCZ and AMD.

Check the "2012 Official Stock Market" thread in the Off-Topic forum, along with "the death of RIMM" thread.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
1. Is the OP being paid by RIM to evangelize for their new devices?

2. Does Blackberry still charge an extra fee to use their BBM/email system? That killed any chance of me getting their device a couple of years ago and I haven't looked back since.

3. WTF would get excited about a mobile OS that has it roots in the corporate world? Not I. iOS and Android didn't and they are very popular today. Windows Mobile did and it is struggling (for many reasons). The future is not good for this BB10. When you have Steve "Developer developer developer" Ballmer hawking his failed OS at your conference, you've failed...

OP has a large number of RIMM stock. Check the ATOT forum. which is why he is pushing for RIMM.