Who has a female supervisor or boss?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Must add that in my work, myself and the three consecutive links in the chain above me in turn all work in the same area. Me < male boss o' me < male boss o' him < female boss o' him and she's a really sound person. Reasonable and intelligent, better than some other people in my office ;).

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
The department next to us has a female supervisor. She's just a b!tch overall. Many of the other departments with female supervisors are a lot more easy going. So not all female bosses are like that.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
i've had female bosses that are fine, great to work with, gives her workers candy and treats. So i guess i've been lucky

if you really can't handle it after a while, go to HR.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
i've got a female boss. everything is great...except for that time when i got caught glancing at her breasts.

L

Lola

Originally posted by: Raduque
HR ftw?

Unless you don't want to rock the boat, in that case suck it up and leave it alone.

LOL! she is HR.
That is the issue that is always there... our office/agency is small. she is the boss and owner. I am just an employee or office manager. :eek:
I guess that is why i posted this because i needed to vent this morning.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
HR ftw?

Unless you don't want to rock the boat, in that case suck it up and leave it alone.

LOL! she is HR.
That is the issue that is always there... our office/agency is small. she is the boss and owner. I am just an employee or office manager. :eek:
I guess that is why i posted this because i needed to vent this morning.

ownt. sorry, that sucks :(

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: amish
i've got a female boss. everything is great...except for that time when i got caught glancing at her breasts.

She can't hold that against you, it's genetic.
My wife informs me there's a whole level of male gawking that most men don't even realize they're doing.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
HR ftw?

If you want things to change for the better, I'd recommend talking with her first, along with your coworker. Of course, picking your time is critical - you want her in the best possible frame of mind going in. Focus on selling her on a better way to handle things, and soft-pedal the negative stuff as much as you can, while still getting the message across.

If that doesn't work, or if things get worse, then go over her head. Make sure you've documented as much as you can, so that the pattern is clear.

Bottom line, you've got to be prepared to walk away if things don't improve. Life's too short to let people like that ruin your day.

Mar 15, 2003
I don't care that you're a woman, your post was sexist. (I'm indian and god knows I'm racist against indians).

Your boss is unprofessional and childish - it has nothing to do with her vagina.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: amish

She can't hold that against you, it's genetic.
My wife informs me there's a whole level of male gawking that most men don't even realize they're doing.

exactly!! i saw a flash of a hot pink bra. its just human(male) nature to look at the bright colors.

oh well. it was fun spending the rest of the meeting with a woman with her arms folded over her chest. :(

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
My previous boss was a female. She was very cool. We would go out to lunch 1-2 times a week after I moved on to a different department. She's on maternity leave now and asked me to take care of her plant.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I had a woman CEO at my last place of employement. (Was a small company so we seen her multiple times per day)

She was pretty decent, and did alot of things right. For example, she knew that if her employees were happy, they want to work for her and do a better job. So she would go out of her way and buy a grill so we could BBQ for lunch. Thats a good thing. Make friends at work, have a good time grilling, etc.

However, she always made side deals with people, which drove people up a wall.

One of the guys happened to be the "grill cook" one day (we used to take turns.) She came down and said "Make me a steak medium rare" (or whatever she wanted) and would go upstairs. She thought it was our duty to cook her food since she bought the grill. However, she'd do side deals with them when they delivered the food to her, and say something like if they continued to do that they'd get a $2000 bonus at the end of the year. But she'd only do it to people she liked. Maybe certain people didn't cook her steak correctly, I dunno. Once others heard of it, they'd stop particpating saying "WTF if he is getting paid to do this, why would I volunteer to be the cook?"

Other guys she'd offer them $2000 to quit smoking... Which of course is a good thing if she can get people to quit smoking... Of course all this was "hush hush" to everybody else in the company. Which never works, because people will tell others... So those who didn't smoke didn't get any offers for a bonus, or an alternate deal for something else.

She was cool because she'd throw money around like it was nothing, but it always seemed to be certain people or people she liked. She gave me a $3000 christmas bonus the first year because I went to the Christmas party and socialized and had a good time which suprised her (I'm normally pretty reserved.) So that was my reward for opening up, atleast in her mind. She gave my roommate (who also worked there) $500... And the "grill cook" above a $1500 bonus... All in all it came down to whoever she liked at the moment.

All in all, while she had good intentions would cause severe problems with office politics.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
I don't care that you're a woman, your post was sexist. (I'm indian and god knows I'm racist against indians).

Your boss is unprofessional and childish - it has nothing to do with her vagina.

While a liberal academic, especially a Women's Studies major, might argue that the post reifies cultural stereotypes, I wouldn't say it was sexist. Most peopel would say it was not sexist.

Go worry about your birthday party. :p

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
my female boss is actually very nice and laid back. overall a good boss, i'd say

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
I do, she is quite nice and understanding so far. I have worked here for 2 months I have no complaints.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
I have a "Female Boss", truth to be told and I am not kidding she is scared of me and doesn't bother me even if she needs to. I find that cute.

DarkThinker

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Lola? :confused:
Didnt you complain about this exact same thing about a year ago?

Or was it a general discussion and you just added your 2 cents.

Yes, I agree.

No offense to the ladies, but my 9 years in the Navy taught me that men have a tendancy to be better leaders than women. Thats not set in stone, but it seems to be the norm.

Also, at my new employ, all the bosses are engineers. I think we might have one lady for a supervisor but I never see her.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Lola? :confused:
Didnt you complain about this exact same thing about a year ago?

Or was it a general discussion and you just added your 2 cents.

Yes, I agree.

No offense to the ladies, b
ut my 9 years in the Navy taught me that men have a tendancy to be better leaders than women. Thats not set in stone, but it seems to be the norm.

Also, at my new employ, all the bosses are engineers. I think we might have one lady for a supervisor but I never see her.

I'm not a lady andI'm offended.. And you're wrong. I don't think there's a more capable leader out there than my mom - she had to put up with me for years!

gwrober

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I have a female boss. No problems at all. Maybe you just have a psycho female boss.

Same here. My boss is awesome, very smart. She's still going to school also, and uses that to encourage me to go. I feel very inferior sometimes! ...and not in *that* way, you slimeballs!! :p

L

Lola

Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212

While a liberal academic, especially a Women's Studies major, might argue that the post reifies cultural stereotypes, I wouldn't say it was sexist. Most peopel would say it was not sexist.

Go worry about your birthday party. :p

Really.... The ONLY reason i posted that she was female because i wanted some input from others on how to possibly handle the situation. BECAUSE... dealing with a male vs. female is different.