Who got a 7900XTX or 7900XT?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
$1199 + tax. Local shop.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
And it is now installed. I ran DDU first, and after installation, I installed the latest Radeon drivers. I wonder what game I should try first. Probably the COD MWII benchmark hehe.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
1672736984097.png
Seems to actually help a lot. When I ran the bench on the 3090, my average FPS was about 180, and the bottleneck was the GPU 99%. Also my lows are much higher with the new card.

Jul 27, 2020
View attachment 73819
Seems to actually help a lot. When I ran the bench on the 3090, my average FPS was about 180, and the bottleneck was the GPU 99%. Also my lows are much higher with the new card.
Wow. 5950X is a BOTTLENECK???

Interested to see that with a 5800X3D and a 13600K.

Also, how are the temps on the card, especially the junction temp?

Fan noise?

Now how about a game that prefers the 4090? Like Portal RTX? :p

Last edited:

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
From what I have heard, 4090s and the good 7900 XTX cards are so fast that even a 13900k can be a bottleneck.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am pretty sure it is. It is about as long as the EVGA 3090 FTW, but even thicker. Certainly even bigger than the other Nitro cards I have had, including the Vega 64, 5700XT, and Fury. These were also about the size of the 5700XT Red Devil, the Sapphire 290 Tri-X, and the Fury Tri-X. And I think the Aorus Xtreme 1080 Ti was around this size. So yeah, the new 7900 XTX Nitro is the biggest.

I have also had even smaller cards, like the RX 580 Red Devil golden sample, the Powercolor 290 reference, and Sapphire HD 7950 Dual-X. And then there are even older cards, which are smaller still, like HD 6950, HD 5870, GTX 260, 9800 GTX, 8800 GT, 6800 GT, etc.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Impressive results. Kind of makes me wonder how much further they can push GPU performance before hitting a brick wall due to CPU bottleneck, even with the latest and greatest. Some people will say, "they'll just move to the RT pipeline for everything", but current RT implementations kill the CPU even more than raster engines.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
From what I have heard, 4090s and the good 7900 XTX cards are so fast that even a 13900k can be a bottleneck.

I think that's only under certain circumstances, ie benchmarking at low resolutions and low settings or in CPU intensive games that aren't utilizing the CPU properly.

Much more likely to encounter the latter unfortunately. The Callisto Protocol got excoriated by PC gamers for the shader compilation stutter issues, and once they fixed that, the game still has issues with CPU utilization.

With the focus on ray tracing these days, more and more developers are using low level APIs like Vulkan and DX12......but that doesn't mean they can use them properly.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Does anyone have experience or a good guide for OCing these cards? Particularly the model I got, the Sapphire Nitro. I loaded up MSI afterburner, but even with an update to the latest beta, 4.6.5 beta 2 I think, some control options were unavailable. And Sapphire Trixx doesn't have clock/power/fan control options I don't think.

Jul 27, 2020
Does anyone have experience or a good guide for OCing these cards?
Radeon driver control panel provides ample options for overclocking. Just be careful! I think it doesn't provide any safety protections (from my experience with RX 580). You could burn your card out if you set some option too high.

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks, I will have to check these out. I just ran timespy, and got an excellent score, without any tuning to the GPU. Strange though, it took me a while how to figure out how to get a valid score. 3dmark is picky about any driver tessellation option changes.

pj-

May 5, 2015
Just got a reference model for slightly over retail from a kid on FB

Stock vs. OC

OC vs. my previous 3090

Pretty satisfied so far. Had some bad crashing on the Witcher 3, which seem common according to the internet, but weirdly it stopped happening when I ran the game on my TV instead of my monitor.

Is anyone aside from EK making blocks for the reference cards? EK's prices are nuts

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Just got a reference model for slightly over retail from a kid on FB

Stock vs. OC

OC vs. my previous 3090

Pretty satisfied so far. Had some bad crashing on the Witcher 3, which seem common according to the internet, but weirdly it stopped happening when I ran the game on my TV instead of my monitor.

Is anyone aside from EK making blocks for the reference cards? EK's prices are nuts
I think alpha cool
Yep: https://www.alphacool.com/shop/graf...urora-acryl-rx-7900xtx/xt-toxic-mit-backplate
Edit: it seems to be for an unreleased card? I’m confused. That’s not ref

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks, I will have to check these out. I just ran timespy, and got an excellent score, without any tuning to the GPU. Strange though, it took me a while how to figure out how to get a valid score. 3dmark is picky about any driver tessellation option changes.

You're closer to the 4090 score than the 7900 XTX (reference) score that Guru3D got in their benches :)
index.php

• Wow

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
You're closer to the 4090 score than the 7900 XTX (reference) score that Guru3D got in their benches :)
index.php
Wasn’t I called crazy yesterday for saying 7900XTX is that fast? Ironic

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Wasn’t I called crazy yesterday for saying 7900XTX is that fast? Ironic

It still falls short of expectations, on average. High idle power usage (esp with high refresh rate multi-monitor setups) is a major issue. Some games perform on-par or barely better than 6900/6950XT. Time will tell if driver improvements will help. I'm not holding my breath after Vega and previous Navi cards.

It's clear from pricing that both vendors overproduced previous gen cards. AMD was happy to play second fiddle to nV and only slightly undercut pricing at the same level of performance. 7900 XTX and 7900 XT making their RTX counterparts not look like terrible values is a failure, IMO. The stock cooler is also nowhere near the performance of the Founders edition coolers on nV cards. The vapor chamber cooler fiasco (even if only a small % affected as AMD claims) certainly doesn't help with perceptions.

I'd wager some corners were cut to launch the cards in 2022. Looks good for investors, but not so much to gamers.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I didn’t have expectations for it to be competitive with 4090 after I knew it to be not Multi gpu chiplets. So i was fine with the performance, maybe not the power draw.

RT perf surprised me positively because it’s nearly a 1 and half gen jump. From sub Turing to nearly Ampere.

Power draw issues like with idle and multi monitor are nothing new with amd but will always get fixed after some time, seemed they had more important matters to tend to first. A hot fix driver that came shortly after already addressed some problems.

The cooler, while not as good as founders cooler is way smaller and that’s why I was fine with its performance and also it looks good. I think you should expect a cooler that is way smaller to perform like its size and not compare it to oversized bricks. Which is also a downside for Nvidia and a upside for AMD.

Generally, without trying to be too personal, i think you’re being a bit negative there. RDNA2 drivers were pretty solid and got a lot of bug fixes over time, basically everything was addressed. So I can’t agree on that either. I think RDNA3 will be fine. The performance isn’t on 4090 level but good enough, 4080+ level is nothing to sneeze at as long as you get it for a decent price.

( @IEC )

pj-

May 5, 2015
"everything was addressed" and "everything will be fine" essentially means "things were broken" and "not everything is fine".

Coming from 7 years of Nvidia (980ti, Pascal Titan X, 3090), the 7900 xtx experience is definitely a step down in quality/polish. A couple of days ago I went into Windows Display settings to enable my 4k TV (connected but disabled when not in use). My screens blinked a bunch of times, then the system became unresponsive. Rebooted and was back to the default windows VGA driver. Thing crashed so hard it screwed up its own drivers and I had to reinstall Adrenaline. I've done that hundreds of times on previous GPUs and never had a problem, and every other time it was fine on the 7900 xtx other than an unsettling amount of screen flickers before settling down. The fan curve is also odd and seems to have two modes, "jet engine" and "silent", which don't seem to necessarily correlate to GPU or Junction temp. Witcher 3 still crashes in seconds on my main monitor but can run for hours on the TV.

Nothing dealbreaking but definitely some weirdness that does not inspire confidence

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
"everything was addressed" and "everything will be fine" essentially means "things were broken" and "not everything is fine".

Coming from 7 years of Nvidia (980ti, Pascal Titan X, 3090), the 7900 xtx experience is definitely a step down in quality/polish. A couple of days ago I went into Windows Display settings to enable my 4k TV (connected but disabled when not in use). My screens blinked a bunch of times, then the system became unresponsive. Rebooted and was back to the default windows VGA driver. Thing crashed so hard it screwed up its own drivers and I had to reinstall Adrenaline. I've done that hundreds of times on previous GPUs and never had a problem, and every other time it was fine on the 7900 xtx other than an unsettling amount of screen flickers before settling down. The fan curve is also odd and seems to have two modes, "jet engine" and "silent", which don't seem to necessarily correlate to GPU or Junction temp. Witcher 3 still crashes in seconds on my main monitor but can run for hours on the TV.

Nothing dealbreaking but definitely some weirdness that does not inspire confidence
A lot of people with driver problems on AMD reported that after they reset the system everything suddenly was fine. Maybe Nvidia hidden data trying to prevent AMD running fine on it. Sounds strange? But it could be real. Could be a conspiracy theory or something I think Nvidia would totally do. And about those fan profile issues: check on what setting the fan is in the drivers. Maybe hand tune it, if nothing else works.

In general, that’s early adopter woes Nvidia users had as well with Ampere and with Ada as well. Nothing special or exclusive to AMD