Who broke the forums?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Jun 27, 2016
Wow, you're definitely new here :)

Thanks for looking into the issues!
You would be surprised, and perhaps shocked to know that I, and me alone, have been keeping this forum ALIVE for the past 2 years. I have been managing this forum for 5 years in total. All your toys, broken and unbroken, are thanks to me.

I read the thread. When you provide technical issues, your issue needs to be in a single message with all of the information together, including the screen shot. I cannot search the thread for this information.

Thanks

Reactions: ultimatebob

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I read the thread. When you provide technical issues, your issue needs to be in a single message with all of the information together, including the screen shot. I cannot search the thread for this information.

Thanks

Well that would be my fault and I apologise for that. Hopefully you have everything you need in post #45?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been in a one pony circus before, so I understand your pain.

Wait it is not fully fixed...
Screenshot_20210316-085835.pngScreenshot_20210316-085848.pngp

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
@jsimenhoff - thank you for the efforts! Job security? 😉

But, I'm still seeing the same problem. Was there a particular browser that didn't have the problem. Currently only tested with DDG mobile browser

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Jun 27, 2016
Darn, sorry @ch33zw1z and @sdifox :\

I was told the issue was fixed. I will follow up and hopefully have another update today.

FWIW, this issue does not impact Safari browser at all. I'm on an iPhone 8 and have been able to reproduce a similar issue on Chrome, but I can still adjust my view so the content is always viewable.

Once you zoom out, you cannot zoom back in?

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Once you zoom out, you cannot zoom back in?

I can zoom in and out on a message thread, it's a bit clunky but it works. The content doesn't "flow" to fit the screen though.
If I tap on an image I still have no way of getting back to the post where it was.

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Jun 27, 2016
Thanks for clarifying. Still haven't heard back. I expect to get a response in the next few hours.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'd appreciate comments that are helpful next time.

I read the thread. Don't need the attitude, thanks.
In text as opposed to speech, it is sometimes possible to assume sarcasm or hostility when in fact there is none.

Also, I never heard of Brave until now.
And it seems in addition to a browser they also have plans to launch a search engine that respects privacy.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I haven't forgotten you. I'm trying to schedule a fix in the next dev sprint. Please stand by.
I am dropping a big hint for you. On firefox in mobile, majority of the problems get fixed when it is set to desktop view from the browser and holding the phone in landscape. Try playing around and see what script or web code from the regular desktop website can work on mobile. As in, try getting rid of maybe some unessessary mobile script. That is the main reason why I always set my browser to desktop mode and hold the phone in landscape when ever I got to the forums on mobile.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I am dropping a big hint for you. On firefox in mobile, majority of the problems get fixed when it is set to desktop view from the browser and holding the phone in landscape. Try playing around and see what script or web code from the regular desktop website can work on mobile. As in, try getting rid of maybe some unessessary mobile script. That is the main reason why I always set my browser to desktop mode and hold the phone in landscape when ever I got to the forums on mobile.

ugh, the mobile page worked fine, and I don't know anyone (sans you) that holds their phone landscape to browse a forum. Some games? sure. Photos and video? you betcha. Browsing a text page? no thanks.

Reactions: bigboxes

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
ugh, the mobile page worked fine, and I don't know anyone (sans you) that holds their phone landscape to browse a forum. Some games? sure. Photos and video? you betcha. Browsing a text page? no thanks.
Its the same issue on the desktop site on mobile (apart from the image problem), content still doesn't flow to the screen.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Its the same issue on the desktop site on mobile (apart from the image problem), content still doesn't flow to the screen.

The picture thing gets weird, but I've been able to drag with my finger down and to the left, and most of the time it gets me to the options in the top right so I can choose the X

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The picture thing gets weird, but I've been able to drag with my finger down and to the left, and most of the time it gets me to the options in the top right so I can choose the X
I wonder if it's dependent on the resolution of the image and viewing device?
My S20FE is "only" 1080 x 2400 so I wonder if that's it.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
The gigantic green Acer ad at the bottom takes up all the real estate, left to right. Probably a big part of the reason we have to go left to right to access that "x" and to access PMs and notifications, at the top.
Modding on the phone now is next to impossible.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Here's 3 screenshots.

I will say that inserting these from my phone made it not viewable/unreadable from the phone.
I had to look at my desktop to see if it was viewable. That green Acer ad is only a portion of the ad.
It extends completely left to right.

edit:
The attachment is so large and I cannot zoom out to see the post/thread.
I have to go back to previous post to get it back to "normal" Fubared.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210319-120856.png
    Screenshot_20210319-120856.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210319-120914.png
    Screenshot_20210319-120914.png
    987.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210319-120937.png
    Screenshot_20210319-120937.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Here's 3 screenshots.

I will say that inserting these from my phone made it not viewable/unreadable from the phone.
I had to look at my desktop to see if it was viewable. That green Acer ad is only a portion of the ad.

edit:
That's how it looks on my S10+ now using the Samsung Browser, but I don't have any of the ads showing since I use an adblocker.

I have to scroll left and right to get to anything, and like you said moderating on mobile now is virtually impossible. Luckily, on my Samsung 10" tablet everything still looks and acts normal.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Here's 3 screenshots.

edit:

between DDG and pihole, I don't see those ad's

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I'm having the same problem on Chrome for Android 9. Latest build of Chrome.