White teen shot and killed by police for...carrying a container of antifreeze?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Unusual for CNN to cover a white person being shot by police, but evidently Ben Crump and Al Sharpton have taken up the case. They hope championing the case of a white kid shot will increase willingness of people to support police reform.

The incident is strange.

According to the one witness, he and his friend had been trying to fix the transmission on the victim's car, and had just left the repair shop when they got pulled over by an Arkansas sheriff's deputy. The victim-driver gets out of the car carrying a jug of anti-freeze. Evidently the car would still not shift into park, and he didn't want the car to roll backwards and hit the cop car. So he meant to place the anti-freeze container behind the rear wheel to stop the car from rolling. According to the friend who was still sitting in the passenger seat, he all the sudden heard shots fired without hearing any prior conversation. The cop had shot and killed him.

Cop was fired days later for failing to turn on his body camera until after he shot the teen. Police are still investigating. We don't know the officer's side of the story.

Something is obviously strange in this one. I feel like there must be more to the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Just read this. My quick take is late night, officer on edge, possibly under trained, sees the victim do something unexpected, carrying something he can't make out and he opens fire. So he never turned on his camera, assessed the situation or anything else he should have done. At least criminal negligence.

Or he was looking to harm the victim (no evidence for that yet)

Or the story is lacking relevant details (probably the case, not sure if it'll change anything however)

What's interesting is Al Sharpton and Ben Crump are there to help the family of a white police shooting victim. I wonder what the regular detractors of Sharpton will have have to say about this.

Reactions: Leeea

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah it was 3:00 a.m., but you'd think the cop would have had his lights turned on and should have been able to see that the victim was carrying a plastic container?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
DEFUND THE POLICE

Judge, Jury and Executioner without even a trial hearing never mind the trial itself.

Reactions: jameny5

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah it was 3:00 a.m., but you'd think the cop would have had his lights turned on and should have been able to see that the victim was carrying a plastic container?
I agree. I'm just hypothesizing here. People under stress are known to see things that aren't there or misinterpret actions.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just read this. My quick take is late night, officer on edge, possibly under trained, sees the victim do something unexpected, carrying something he can't make out and he opens fire. So he never turned on his camera, assessed the situation or anything else he should have done. At least criminal negligence.

Or he was looking to harm the victim (no evidence for that yet)

Or the story is lacking relevant details (probably the case, not sure if it'll change anything however)

What's interesting is Al Sharpton and Ben Crump are there to help the family of a white police shooting victim. I wonder what the regular detractors of Sharpton will have have to say about this.

These Cameras should turn on automatically under certain criteria. Whenever the Police vehicle exceeds a certain Speed or the Officer leaves the vehicle, for eg. We have the technology, we should use it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I agree. I'm just hypothesizing here. People under stress are known to see things that aren't there or misinterpret actions.

If the friend who was in the car is correct, the officer said nothing before shooting. Not, put up your hands, or drop that object.

I still feel there is more to this story. Maybe some day we'll find out, but it's odd not to have the officer's side 19 days after the shooting.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
If the friend who was in the car is correct, the officer said nothing before shooting. Not, put up your hands, or drop that object.

I still feel there is more to this story. Maybe some day we'll find out, but it's odd not to have the officer's side 19 days after the shooting.
That is odd. I'm betting that whatever his story actually is it looks really bad.

Reactions: Zorba and Leeea

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Seems like a lot of stupid all the way around. Driving a car that won't go into park? Trying to use a jug of antifreeze to stop the car? Thinking a cop is going to exercise good enough judgement to avoid gunning you down for no reason?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Seems like a lot of stupid all the way around. Driving a car that won't go into park? Trying to use a jug of antifreeze to stop the car? Thinking a cop is going to exercise good enough judgement to avoid gunning you down for no reason?
The kids were working on the transmission and apparently took the car out to see if they had fixed it - it wasn't. The kid was also thinking about safety of his car and the officers vehicle by wanting to chuck the wheels. Not sure how well the jug would have acted as a wheel chuck.

The issue of course is who should have had the better judgement - the teen or the deputy? The answer is obvious and the victim is the right "color" for a certain portion of the population who normally has problems understanding that the police shouldn't be shooting unarmed teens, even if it's the middle of the night.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
Unusual for CNN to cover a white person being shot by police, but evidently Ben Crump and Al Sharpton have taken up the case. They hope championing the case of a white kid shot will increase willingness of people to support police reform.

That's a good start. All lives do matter? Or is that racist still?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That is odd. I'm betting that whatever his story actually is it looks really bad.

Evidently the police investigation of the shooting is complete and they have forwarded the file to the local DA, who will presumably make the decision. I can only assume that whatever the decision, the DA's office will inform the public of its reasons. For now, we are not being permitted to see the result of the police investigation.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- Lets just fast forward to the part where its a deep state conspiracy yadda yadda yadda.

Al Sharpton might be a lot of things, but he's no dummy. He knows that the only time anything changes in America is when it affects folks of a fairer persuasion and he's found (he thinks) more or less the poster child case to kick off major police reform.

What was funny was r/conservative initially doing the whole "where is Al Sharpton for this kid" and like a boss, there he is. Now the story doesn't come up there anymore.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

The incident is strange.

According to the one witness, he and his friend had been trying to fix the transmission on the victim's car, and had just left the repair shop when they got pulled over by an Arkansas sheriff's deputy. The victim-driver gets out of the car carrying a jug of anti-freeze. Evidently the car would still not shift into park, and he didn't want the car to roll backwards and hit the cop car. So he meant to place the anti-freeze container behind the rear wheel to stop the car from rolling. According to the friend who was still sitting in the passenger seat, he all the sudden heard shots fired without hearing any prior conversation. The cop had shot and killed him.

Cop was fired days later for failing to turn on his body camera until after he shot the teen. Police are still investigating. We don't know the officer's side of the story.

Something is obviously strange in this one. I feel like there must be more to the story.
Maybe the cop said freeze and the kid said, no way, antifreeze. Sorry.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Saying "All lives matter" is racist in the context of using the message to distract from the message that "Black lives matter". Obviously all lives matter. However, when it is black lives that are being disproportionately taken due to prejudice, focusing on "All lives matter" instead of "Black lives matter" indicates a person thinks things are already fine, and that it is acceptable that black lives are being taken at a disproportionate rate, which yes, is indeed racist.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- I suspect the kid getting out of his car unprompted really did the trick. Most antifreeze containers have a handle that you can conceivably hold like someone might hold a pistol. If it's a black or dark blue container it would be harder to distinguish at night.

Here is my guess at how this went down: tired cop in the middle of the night pulls a pair of young guys in a beater car over. In his mind this is already a bad stop with a lot of warning signs. Gets out to go do the whole license and registration thing. Kid gets out of the passenger door unprompted with something gripped in his hand. Cop panics, grabs gun and starts blasting.

No Camera On = automatic cop gets manslaughter charges as a minimum IMO, and charges only go up in the absence of extenuating circumstances.

If refusing a breathalyzer test = auto DUI in many states, then no camera means the presumption of innocence is out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and dank69
Feb 4, 2009
Hard to say on this one, we all know that you stay in your car. I understand his car would roll and this was probably habit. However keeping your foot on the break is absolutely an option.
On the other hand it would seem pretty trigger happy for the cop to go immediately to shooting the dude. Why not tell him to get back in the car and actually give him a chance to get back in the car?

This is a guess, what happened is what we see on various videos. Guy gets out of the car, cop yells “BACK IN THE CAR NOW!” Half a second passed then he shoots the guy.

Also the sheriff(?) may have a history of not recording his stops. That right there is pretty suspicious. He was told and I assume clearly told to activate his camera. Screwing up once or twice when it is a new thing is fine but as far as I am concerned grounds to fire someone. Doesn’t seem the camera was a new development either.

Mar 11, 2004
I like how a white guy getting shot and "well there's got to be more to this, its sooo strange", I'm not sure if people are just completely unaware how absurd they sound while thinking that's a perfectly rational thing to say. Which, I'm guessing that its because you simply think its simple racism to blame when its a black person so a white person being shot can't be explained, but its both more and less simple. Less simple because racism itself isn't simple and doesn't always show up just as extrajudicial killing, but more simple in that its just that it could just be that cops are shitty and they get away with this type of stuff everywhere, not just against black people, but happens more against black people because they go out of their way to target them more.

No, INCREASE FUNDING police reform, training, and accountability!

Fuck that. Less cops and more people actually capable of handling situations without murdering people and willing to take responsibility (since cops, like their God-King Turmp have decided they should never be held responsible for anything they do, but they goddamn sure want people to worship them no matter how shitty they act).

Saying "All lives matter" is racist in the context of using the message to distract from the message that "Black lives matter". Obviously all lives matter. However, when it is black lives that are being disproportionately taken due to prejudice, focusing on "All lives matter" instead of "Black lives matter" indicates a person thinks things are already fine, and that it is acceptable that black lives are being taken at a disproportionate rate, which yes, is indeed racist.

They know this, they're just trying to troll because they're racist.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

The incident is strange.

BLM should get involved in more of the white killings. The real issue is widespread police brutality and lack of accountability. It happens against blacks at a higher rate, but it happens to everyone. I know a white kid unjustly killed by the police back in the 90s. There was a Hispanic man chocked to death in front of his family in OKC a few years ago, over nothing, but it never gained national attention.

Showing that it is an everyone problem, will help get much broader support.

Reactions: Arkaign

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It's always been "all live" dumb fuck. They are saying Black Live Matter (as much as other people's lives). They've never said "only black lives matter."

Meanwhile "blue lives matter" has clearly always meant police only.