White supremacy, now with a tan

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Living in CA and watching groups like Proud Boys I have noticed the growing trend of overtly white supremacist orgs to welcome in Latinos, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders and Asians.

It makes sense. They did this years ago with the Irish, Italians and Jews. Groups they used to consider "non-white" are now automatically considered white.

As white direct descendants of Northern Europeans become the minority, they must expand what it means to be "white" to try to keep power.

Conversely, I have noticed a significant minority among these Latino, Hispanic, Pacific Islander and Asian groups getting sucked into the Qult of right-wing batshittery.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I read this earlier and unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with the author. Colorism is very much present in the world at large. It's not something that's going to be easy to overcome, that's for damn sure.

Reactions: Amused

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Interesting.

There's also the gender angle to it all. Seems as if a few actually black men identify with Trump's pro-patriarchy attitudes slightly more than they are put off by his racism.

And there's class and religion to consider as well. Easier to be 'white' if you are wealthy.

The US might indeed end up like Brazil, where its a continuum of varying-degrees of status and privilege.

Over here it seems as if religion, mainly whether one is Muslim or not, seems to have started to overtake race as a defining characteristic.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Reminded of how the Proud Boys will hold up their leader, Enrique Tarrio, as 'proof' they're not racist... even though their very ideology, and the things Tarrio has done, indicate the opposite. The token minority friend for white supremacists.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Living in CA and watching groups like Proud Boys I have noticed the growing trend of overtly white supremacist orgs to welcome in Latinos, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders and Asians.

It makes sense. They did this years ago with the Irish, Italians and Jews. Groups they used to consider "non-white" are now automatically considered white.

As white direct descendants of Northern Europeans become the minority, they must expand what it means to be "white" to try to keep power.

Conversely, I have noticed a significant minority among these Latino, Hispanic, Pacific Islander and Asian groups getting sucked into the Qult of right-wing batshittery.

It’s the same kind of self hate that drives people like Clarence Thomas.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Reminded of how the Proud Boys will hold up their leader, Enrique Tarrio, as 'proof' they're not racist... even though their very ideology, and the things Tarrio has done, indicate the opposite. The token minority friend for white supremacists.
Always have one in your pocket.

Mar 11, 2004
Yeah its a simple numbers game. And yeah also helps them play that its not about racism (there's a reason white nationalism happens to perfectly line up with male dominant ideals), which they'll need to keep from their own messaging from marginalizing them.

They went hard for hispanic males since 2016, arguably I think it was since 2018 when it became clear how their policies are anti-women and thus women showed up to vote in 2018. I think they've abandoned all hope and pretense at winning most women. Plus I think with their aims at using violence to get their way they view recruiting men to be the way to go about that.

But make no mistake they're still absolute in their white supremacist ideals.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You know what "they" say...

Black may be beautiful,
Tan might be grand,
But WHITE is the color
of the BIG boss man...

All this "inclusion" by white supremacist groups is just camouflage.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Inclusive white supremacy, never thought I'd see the day.

When my ancestors got here from Southern Europe just before the turn of the century they were absolutely not considered white by contemporary standards. "whiteness" in America is a more malleable concept than most people think, especially over time.

Reactions: Pohemi and VashHT

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
When my ancestors got here from Southern Europe just before the turn of the century they were absolutely not considered white by contemporary standards. "whiteness" in America is a more malleable concept than most people think, especially over time.
Yeah Italians were considered too dark which I find pretty funny. There's a definite pattern of Americans not accepting immigrant groups until they feel a worse group comes along.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah Italians were considered too dark which I find pretty funny. There's a definite pattern of Americans not accepting immigrant groups until they feel a worse group comes along.

People really should read the contemporary accounts of this era. The Italians and Greeks did not get warm welcomes to say the least. Minds would be blown.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
People really should read the contemporary accounts of this era. The Italians and Greeks did not get warm welcomes to say the least. Minds would be blown.
Definitely, I learned this in AP US history in high school, even Irish weren't accepted due to being Catholic. It's a sad cycle of an immigrant group coming here, getting shit on, then when they do get accepted they turn around and start shitting on the next immigrants.

Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Definitely, I learned this in AP US history in high school, even Irish weren't accepted due to being Catholic. It's a sad cycle of an immigrant group coming here, getting shit on, then when they do get accepted they turn around and start shitting on the next immigrants.

Aggressively stepping on new arrivals is the best (or fastest?) way to climb up the pile.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've seen cartoons from back then where they compare Italian and other European immigrants to rats

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It’s the same kind of self hate that drives people like Clarence Thomas.

That doesn't seem fair on him. I don't think it's as simple as that, there are other factors than race that determine someone's politics.

The impression I had (and I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering what I read correctly) is that Clarence Thomas comes from a kind of right-wing pro-capitalist quasi-separatist position, in that he sees capitalism as the answer to racism, and conversely sees the state as a vehicle for that racism - thus from his viewpoint, reducing the power of the state and enrouraging capitalist exploitation is consistent with opposing racism.

He's perfectly OK with black capitalists exploiting a black working class, though.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That doesn't seem fair on him. I don't think it's as simple as that, there are other factors than race that determine someone's politics.

The impression I had (and I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering what I read correctly) is that Clarence Thomas comes from a kind of right-wing pro-capitalist quasi-separatist position, in that he sees capitalism as the answer to racism, and conversely sees the state as a vehicle for that racism - thus from his viewpoint, reducing the power of the state and enrouraging capitalist exploitation is consistent with opposing racism.

He's perfectly OK with black capitalists exploiting a black working class, though.
He's so proud of his race, he married a white woman. Oops! you not supposed to say that out loud.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

First of all I like the fact that you have viewpoints and defend them. Secondly, I think you have great insights into political and social matters. Thirdly, I gave nothing on why I opinionated as I did. I wanted to avoid the hard work I am not going to undertake, hard of course for me, because I am going to have to think:

Not long ago I made a disparaging comment about Clarence Thomas and then watched a long interview he did with some very light skinned intellectual who identifies as black. I do not remember who he is. But the interview was quite long and went into Thomas as a child and the influence his Grandfather had on his life. I felt rather ashamed of myself for my criticism of him as a result of watching.

Now for the hard part, summarizing what I felt I heard and felt based of some tidbits of data from which they sprang.

Grandfather possessed profound self control and self discipline regarding race, never showing anger or resistance to white insult and overt racism and he placed that obligation on Thomas, that he was lucky and privileged and had always to take the high road and seize every opportunity for advancement. Thomas worships his Grandfather for what he made Thomas become in this life. He was an inspiration and produced a winner.

You win as a black man by ignoring race, by going straight ahead, by fulfilling an obligation to self to become the best you can be, to set an example for others to see.

We see the rewards, what is the price of success. The price is that all that humiliation that Blacks are exposed to had to be beaten back and repressed, playing the long game, the game of who gets the last laugh, the reward of indefatigable dignity at the price of never expressing rage, of holding weakness in contempt.

But where does that leave you with sympathy for the broken, to have never known defeat, to have never satisfied the will for revenge, for real justice.

Thomas was given the gift never to allow failure or face failure in the eyes of his Grandfather. He fears that shame greater than any other. The game is to pretend that racism does not exist, to ignore all insults that one is Black. That is objectively true, there is nothing wrong with being black but in the real world racism is everywhere. To deny one's blackness in the real world to me is a form of self hate. It depends on a real world denial despite its objective truth.

One can only develop a profound refusal to deny self inferiority in the face of the counter claim. Thus those who deny race with deeply empowered dignity tacitly acknowledge that racism has affected their lives.

Ten thousand years ago in the heart of Africa you would not have found anybody who needed any sense of black racial dignity because everybody was black and the notion that might imply some imaginary imperfection did not exist there.

So my take on Thomas is that his self discipline will lead to an insensitivity to weakness and a worship of the successful and the strong. This is that we speak of when we refer to 'pride goeth before a fall', endless fear.

I would seek the justice of those who have died to themselves, those from whom love flows freely in the absence of pride, those self content in the absence of self and the presence of the joy of being.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Every racist will tell you that there are black people and there are n****rs. This is no different.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Redheaded stepchild Irish man checks into thread.
FOB was the measure.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
So are would these new racists tell people something along the lines of you are not black if you don't support a certain political candidate?

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
So are would these new racists tell people something along the lines of you are not black if you don't support a certain political candidate?
They'd more likely take out full page ads in large newspapers declaring innocent men of color should be locked up and put to death by the state because they must've done something to deserve it.

Oh and fuck off with your bullshit. Take your broken propagandized brain and get lost!