White Student Calls Self African-American

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UltraPenguin

Nov 25, 2003
I've seen very few blacks in the sciences and engineering. There was ONE single black engineering student during my undergrad and graduate studies in EE. Graduate school was around 80% asians and Indians!

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Uhh yeah we make more money but are you kidding when you say we are not discriminated against?

We may be discriminated against less than other groups, but we are nonetheless.

I remember reading one of our AT users who is filipino sharing his story of how his g/f (who is white) neighbors started calling him all sorts of racist names.

Some of my friends had got into fights (esp. after 9/11) because they are Indian (not even muslims). Heck, even hispanics were targeted. Was that just after 9/11 no, it increased after 9/11 racism is alive and well here, even for Asians. Basically, if you are not a WASP male, you have been or will be a target of discrimination. I'm not really that pissed off about it, but it is a fact, so those that are WASPS on this board, please dont disagree or deny it because believe me it is true.

I will totally admit the discrimination is MUCH worse for African Americans. But I would not say racism against Asians is any less than that against Hispanics -- so why do they get benefits? Because the Asian group works hard, saves, and focuses on education more? Because Asians are 'smarter?' . B.S. they work hard just like anyone else. That is why they are penalized? Not fair.

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've got love like an ocean, I've got love like an ocean
I've got love like an ocean in my soul. In my soul.
I've got love like an ocean, I've got love like an ocean
I've got love like an ocean in my soul. In my soul.

The work does not stop in seeing the hatred and bias present within ourselves, and thereby, that in the worlds around us.

Cheers! :)

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Anybody can get discriminated against, If i was to move to a all mexican neighborhood that spoke only spanish then i know i would get called a kracker left and right. So just because your asian doesnt mean you go through more than anyone else, it all depends on who you are and where your at.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: peonyu
Anybody can get discriminated against, If i was to move to a all mexican neighborhood that spoke only spanish then i know i would get called a kracker left and right. So just because your asian doesnt mean you go through more than anyone else, it all depends on who you are and where your at.

no it doesn't -- but most minorities that have lived in this country long enough have experienced some kind of discrimination. Being a minority does mean you go through more than if one was a white protestant male in particular. you could be called kracker left and right. and you may feel bad about it, but the fact is the power of authority tends to rest in the hands of white America. So being called names is one thing, missing out on a home loan because of your race is another. Not getting the job because of your race is another. These things do happen everyday.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: athithi
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: athithi
Originally posted by: Triumph
Back to the topic of black people: The student is African American. He should be elligible for the award.

It is probably wrong to propagate racial division through awards like this, but it is morally criminal to make a joke of it. Apartheid was a very recent phenomenon in South Africa. This particular kid or his "innocent" family might be racially blind, but claiming that he is African-American and deserves the award is actually worse than instituting meaningless awards like this. He should not be eligible for the award.
Like I said earlier, it's just semantics. But calling it "morally criminal" is taking it a bit far. Those kids are right to take issue with the award...more to follow.
The award should probably be discontinued since it is only provoking the white majority in the school and probably not helping any of the black students there.
The award should be discontinued because one of the provisions of it seem to be that members of an entire race are not eligible to win. Imagine how quick we'd all hear about it and how enraged we'd all be if a school started offering an outstanding student award and said that black kids were ineligible to win.
Your ancestors* may have played no part in slavery and you are justified in feeling frustrated about reverse-racism. But an overwhelming number of blacks in the United States have a past that is filled with racial discrimination towards them. In the midst of all your self-pity, spare a thought for them.
I feel sorry for black slaves just like I feel sorry for the Aztecs and Armenians and Jews.

Did Asian American kids face discrimination 50 years ago? Probably...

What's keeping a high school from giving out an Asian American only award?
But those kids in this story only worsened the racial divide and if you cannot see it, you are not half as smart as you think you are.
Well then I must be stupid :(

They were just the symptom to the disease. They're right to be unhappy.

From my earlier post...

Black kids could understand the unfairness and counter-productive effect of having a blacks-only award if their peers discussed it with them. If the 16-year old white kid and his moron friends knew what the problem with the award was, they should have been permitted to discuss it with the 56 black kids in the school and convince them why it was not a good idea.

They become a part of the problem when they keep finding ways to mutate the disease. It's monumentally stupid of a parent to teach their kid to mock something they disagree with instead of showing them how it can be resolved in a civil manner. Effectively, you are saying that white people don't know how to fix the problem and expect black people to keel over and ignore the psychological impact of centuries of racial discrimination so everybody can be equal today. While I agree that black people should pause for a moment and see the negative effect reverse-discrimination has, white people are not absolved of their responsibilities either - especially not when kids like this find new depths of intellectual paucity. A few of the people that have posted in this thread find this problem funny. That is a sentiment I cannot make myself dumb enough to understand.

exactly, technically he is African american. But we all know that in the way we use it we mean Black. You cannot simply combine the word to make a meaning. It would be like putting "girl" and "friend" together. When you say girlfriend it doesnt simply mean a friend that is a girl - although it can. What if somebody paints their self black..........and then tries to get the award - are they now black, should they get the award. When we say african american the "african" denotes an ethnic background not simply the Land of africa. The white kid, probably from south africa has desedents from britian or france and not africa. He should not get the award.

Sahakiel

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Asian americans on average make more money than White americans by about 10 grand, and are just a tad below Jews overall.

So I dont think asians are very discriminated against.
Cool...I love when the ends explain the means ;)

It couldn't possibly be the case that those Asian Americans or worked harder or anything, right?

The main reason for the higher then average pay for Asians is we only import the smart ones.

Incorrect.

Check the data on the U.S. Census. Asian Americans on average are paid less for the same position. The 10 grand figure comes from Asian Americans having a higher rate of employed family members. The income per family for Asian Americans is much higher than, say, "Whites." In other words, more Asian American families have more than one bread winner than "White" families. Note it's "bread winner" and not "supplemental income only."
As for the comment of "importing the smart ones.", the problem is companies don't import the smart ones due to a lack of capable workers in the United States. More often then not, companies hire foreign workers so they can pay less wages for the same or better work.
Oh, and good luck finding scholarships for Asian Americans. The most well known scholarship for Asian Americans are Cal Grants.

So I dont think asians are very discriminated against.
That type of statement is what is commonly referred to as "ignorant." The best example off the top of my head is affirmative action at the U.C. system. At the time of inception, the "White" population in the UC system was declining at the same time other minorities were increasing. The largest increase came from Asian Americans.
If you want a major historical example, check out the U.S. immigration policy up to the 1950's.
There are many more examples and you need look no further than college campuses around the nation to find them.
Or, just do a bloody Google search.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab

no it doesn't -- but most minorities that have lived in this country long enough have experienced some kind of discrimination. Being a minority does mean you go through more than if one was a white protestant male in particular. you could be called kracker left and right. and you may feel bad about it, but the fact is the power of authority tends to rest in the hands of white America. So being called names is one thing, missing out on a home loan because of your race is another. Not getting the job because of your race is another. These things do happen everyday.

Like I said, it can go both ways. Ive lived in Miami for 7 years now, a city that is run 65% cuban and run by Cubans, and theres been far more than just one time that I have applied for a computer tech job and have gotten turned by the employers in favor of other Cubans, despite my work resume being 10 times better and the fact that I can speak BOTH english and spanish [the other guys can usually only speak spanish]. These are usually large businesses aswell, and have a full cuban staff, most of the times i would just get a look that said why are you bothering...

otoh, in cities that whites have the authority/majority then it may very well be the opposite, where asians or whoever else may have a harder time getting hired as opposed to whites.

Anyways, thats just my experience and im not going to waste time feeling bad for what can happen to anybody given the differing situations.