White Student Calls Self African-American

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003
This is interesting! :D The student is African-American, so I don't see any problem with the award. It's not the people who put the posters up who are the racists, but the school officials, who came out of the closet to basically say this award is only for blacks. Guess that rules out an Egyptian exchange student as well because of the color of her skin. Smooth move on the school's part! Get ready for the lawsuits to begin.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Ha ha. Things like this have always amused me...takes me way back in time to high school when a Coptic Egyptian friend of mine got a number of small ($100 to $500) African American scholarships with only mail-in applications but missed out on the bigger ones ($3000+) that required an interview. I'm really not sure why that happened :)

In the end, it's really just a matter of semantics though.... I guess "Distinguished Indigenous, Sub-Saharan African American Student Award" wouldn't fit so nicely on a plaque :)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Wasn't there a politician or someone else famous that came out and said they were African-American...white woman from South Africa I think?

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
We are all African apes.

And you're an... 'Elite Member'?
rolleye.gif

And you are the banned Troll StattlichPassat. Good bye!

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Haha... This reminds of a story involving my best friend. About four years ago, we both took the SATs. About a month after we received our scores, he received a letter from the NAACP congratulating him for representing his race and offering him a lifetime membership, not to mention a few decent scholarships. However, my friend isn't black. Nope... he is 100% English and white as can be... hehe ;)

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
It's interesting to learn that the term "African-American" was coined to denote all people that originated out of Africa (thanks Moonbeam, for helping me identify my true ethnicity ;) ) and not as a socially-acceptable alternative for the term "n*gger". Whaddaya know! You learn something new at AT every day!

Maybe the OP would've been happier with the label "The people formerly known as n*ggers" :disgust:

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Haha... This reminds of a story involving my best friend. About four years ago, we both took the SATs. About a month after we received our scores, he received a letter from the NAACP congratulating him for representing his race and offering him a lifetime membership, not to mention a few decent scholarships. However, my friend isn't black. Nope... he is 100% English and white as can be... hehe ;)

He should have enrolled and then shown up to a meeting! :D

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: SynthesisI
We are all African apes.

rolleye.gif

You don't have to make intelligent posts to become an Elite Member.

Apparantly not! It's obvious in a few other 'Elite Members' I've seen on here before too. Looks like their little club is a joke with no credibility. Glad I'm not a member, and am honored to not have been invited. That means a lot to me. :D

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: athithi
It's interesting to learn that the term "African-American" was coined to denote all people that originated out of Africa (thanks Moonbeam, for helping me identify my true ethnicity ;) ) and not as a socially-acceptable alternative for the term "n*gger". Whaddaya know! You learn something new at AT every day!

Maybe the OP would've been happier with the label "The people formerly known as n*ggers" :disgust:

Hey , that's not a bad idea to put down where it says other "Former African". Doesn't it bother anyone else that we have all these forms where you put down your race/ethnic when all that is not supposed to matter? :confused:

I just filled out Job application paperwork this morning and there was 3 different sheets of paper with all these same questions just worded slightly differently.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It says on my elite certificate that I was made elite for an exceptional capacity to draw idiots out of the woodwork.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
It says on my elite certificate that I was made elite for an exceptional capacity to draw idiots out of the woodwork.
That's what they told you. They told me it was because you are an elitist.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
That's what they told you. They told me it was because you are an elitist.

Fortunately my modesty has kept it from going to my head.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
We are all African apes.

rolleye.gif

Apparantly not! It's obvious in a few other 'Elite Members' I've seen on here before too. Looks like their little club is a joke with no credibility. Glad I'm not a member, and am honored to not have been invited. That means a lot to me. :D

Being that most of the elite members here are worthless, it makes you wonder about the quality of the people that idolize them enough to give them the title "elite."

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
I don't post a lot here, but I do read a lot. Moonbeam's posts are amongst the most intelligent I see posted.

Just because you find a statement distasteful doesn't mean it's unintelligent.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dirtboy
We are all African apes.

rolleye.gif

Being that most of the elite members here are worthless, it makes you wonder about the quality of the people that idolize them enough to give them the title "elite."
It sounds like sour grapes to me. BTW, I was made an Elite member for hunting down thieving trolls in the For Sale forum when I was actively involved with that forum, not for my posts in OT or here.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: MonkeyK
I don't post a lot here, but I do read a lot. Moonbeam's posts are amongst the most intelligent I see posted.

Just because you find a statement distasteful doesn't mean it's unintelligent.

Thanks MonkeyK, that was nice of you. Of course, by your name I'd assume you might be just a bit more open to the notion you're an African ape. I keep telling these folks that I'm a mirror but they don't seem to get it. The way old ignorant me sees it is that when I reminded folks that they aren't so high and mighty, dare I use the word elite, by reminding um of what they really are, they got all defensive cause I knocked off their crown. And being blind and all to the realization that what we hate is what we really are, they immediately seen that elite in me, projected out there on the mirror that's me. So when they was feeling contempt for elite old me, what they was really feeling, and trying not to feel was their own eliteness, but the phoney kind, being pulled away. They don't know that being an African ape is like being in heaven, especially when the tree is full of bananas. Have one.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: dirtboy
We are all African apes.

rolleye.gif

It sounds like sour grapes to me. BTW, I was made an Elite member for hunting down thieving trolls in the For Sale forum when I was actively involved with that forum, not for my posts in OT or here.

Yea, sour grapes for me, because my life long dream is to be an elite member on an Internet forum.
rolleye.gif
I usually only read OT & P&N these days and if you read the posts of people carrying the elite title, you'd be hard not to agree that they are some of the worst members here. Maybe elite signifies they are the best of the worst...