White Nationalist mass protest turns to riot at University of Virginia

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
1018316866.jpg

"Burning hour" "will burn Negro". Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means.

Nov 25, 2013
"Burning hour" "will burn Negro". Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means.

Only after he was dead.

"When a black man named John Hartfield was lynched in Ellisville, Mississippi, on June 26, 1919 – hanged from a gum tree alongside nearby railroad tracks, riddled with bullets, and then burned – press coverage in newspapers throughout the country reported that ten thousand white men, women, and children had traveled from throughout the state to watch his gruesome murder.

Photo postcards of the brutal spectacle were sold afterward and a gleeful spectator even boasted of cutting a finger from the corpse to keep as a souvenir."

https://eji.org/news/lynching-survivor-mamie-lang-kirkland-returns-to-mississippi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Only after he was dead.

"When a black man named John Hartfield was lynched in Ellisville, Mississippi, on June 26, 1919 – hanged from a gum tree alongside nearby railroad tracks, riddled with bullets, and then burned – press coverage in newspapers throughout the country reported that ten thousand white men, women, and children had traveled from throughout the state to watch his gruesome murder.

Photo postcards of the brutal spectacle were sold afterward and a gleeful spectator even boasted of cutting a finger from the corpse to keep as a souvenir."

https://eji.org/news/lynching-survivor-mamie-lang-kirkland-returns-to-mississippi
Note to the people who so flippantly use the word lynching

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'll play stupid (oh there's an opening :D) and ask specifically what you mean, just for an explicit starting point.

He raised the subject of Kavanaugh, he drew a parallel.
So I threw down my opposition in the handling of Kavanaugh by the media and public. There's a general principle at stake here.

They may have exposed a most... undeserving guy, but the means does not justify the end. The constant argument "this is not a trial" was used to support guilty until proven innocent. To support slander and smear and automatic guilt before the... court of public opinion. People wanted to affirm that mere accusations should lose people their jobs, their safety, their homes, in essence their lives. All without any need for due process, or substantiating claims. Harm via mob rule.

That is an aspect of our society that I find to be grossly negligent.

As for the quote I was replying to, I find it quite distinguished from mob rule when our law enforcement and system of justice steps in and proves people guilty for their crimes. That's how it should be and I applaud them from catching these violent supremacists. I made a point that it's quite different than the Kavanaugh circus.

Nov 25, 2013
Fields found guilty of 1st degree murder. Didn't take the jury very long.

"A jury on Friday convicted James Alex Fields of first-degree murder for driving his car into a crowd of counter-protesters at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville last year tied to the defense of Confederate monuments."

"Fields was convicted of all the charges against him, including eight separate counts of aggravated malicious wounding and malicious wounding, and one count of leaving the scene of a crash that caused serious injuries."

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/12/fields-guilty-first-degree-murder-in-charlottesville-car-attack/

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

"A jury on Friday convicted James Alex Fields of first-degree murder for driving his car into a crowd of counter-protesters at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville last year tied to the defense of Confederate monuments."

"Fields was convicted of all the charges against him, including eight separate counts of aggravated malicious wounding and malicious wounding, and one count of leaving the scene of a crash that caused serious injuries."

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/12/fields-guilty-first-degree-murder-in-charlottesville-car-attack/

Wow good for them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
One Nazi down, thousands more to go.

Just need to set up cages at the next couple of Trump rallies and round them all up as they exit.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
clearly, he wasn't one of the "very fine people"
must have had mental health issues
this all could have been stopped if everyone was armed

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
clearly, he wasn't one of the "very fine people"
must have had mental health issues
this all could have been stopped if everyone was armed
You would need a tank to stop that car. So M1A1 for everyone!

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001

Left him fucking rot!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
White Nationalist and Nazis organized the largest protest of their kind in decades has now tuned violent. Churches in the area tried to have a peaceful counter protest and were attacked by the white nationalists.

Few things I gleam from this.

Climate starts at the top. While Trump did not create these people or organize this event he has fomented a climate in this country where these groups feel empowered. He has also hired white nationalist supporters to work in the White House.

The one thing Trump's people love about him he speaks his mind and speaks it quickly. They also love how Trump does not speak up against white nationalists or terrorism against brown people. On the few occasions where he does it takes days and a few staff meeting so he can carefully craft a response that doesn't piss off his supporters

http://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-40909547

Citation?