White House Closed for public Tours. Open for private tax payer paid parties

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The US President is arguably the most powerful person on the planet. To fund his reelection, Obama raised 750 million dollars.

You are welcome to believe that he couldn't find a few thousand dollars a day to fund visits to the White House for school children.

You are also welcome to be pleased that Obama decided to deprive school children of their White House visits to make a partisan political point.

Be proud of him and his politics of revenge if you want.

Me, I never thought that using school children as pawns to make a political point was anything to be proud about.

Uno

I think it is a brilliant move. It shows that we can live without some dumb visit to the White House and we should defund that on a permanent basis or divert the funds to Head Start and other programs that actually help kids toward maybe becoming residents of the White House.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Although there are some people who are a minority who want to bash obama this is a legitimate criticism. obama shouldn't be going to concerts and having the taxpayer pay for them. He should be a little more interested in fixing the economy.

The CEO ought to have a clear desk.... Have you ever read Peter Drucker? When you run the show you hire folks whose job is creating the means that 'fix' the broken stuff.

Keep in mind... well, at least consider... I am thinking the entire time I'm awake. It don't matter what I'm doing, be it golf or painting or what ever... I'm thinking and thinking about the who, what, where and hows that need being dealt with... Obama is being paid to make decisions based on what his expertise coupled with that of his advisers indicate is appropriate... Maybe listening to The Doors is his motivator or one of them.

Sep 7, 2009
I think it is a brilliant move. It shows that we can live without some dumb visit to the White House and we should defund that on a permanent basis or divert the funds to Head Start and other programs that actually help kids toward maybe becoming residents of the White House.

Sure, sure, meanwhile our Dear Leader is taking multi million dollar ultra exotic vacations and having house parties with justin timberlake.

Brilliant!

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I am absolutely sure that the federal government had significant costs above and beyond its relatively small portion of PBS' budget. I don't think that is unreasonable. Both White House tours and White House concerts are one way that the public is invited into the White House, and I don't think it's reasonable for us to expect that "someone else" pick up the tab for our being invited into our own house.

We taxpayers pick up the tab for those costs. There is no "someone else".

The cancellation of the WH tours was presented as a direct consequence of the sequester's cuts to the SS budget. The money saved on the tours is not sufficient to get SS costs below that budget, but somehow they found the money to fund this event, among others.

The WH tours weren't cancelled on budget concerns, they were politically motivated - every bit as much as the decision NOT to cancel this concert.

Until we can put fiscal concerns above political motivations, we're going to have more fiscal cliffs and debt crises.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Serious question: Did liberals sound this crazy when Bush was president?

Far worse, and that includes Democrats and progressives. Too bad you're too young to remember just how bad they were or you'd remember they were ever worse during the Reagan administration and the faux outrage by the left about the cost of Nancy Reagan's dresses.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
We taxpayers pick up the tab for those costs. There is no "someone else".

The cancellation of the WH tours was presented as a direct consequence of the sequester's cuts to the SS budget. The money saved on the tours is not sufficient to get SS costs below that budget, but somehow they found the money to fund this event, among others.

The WH tours weren't cancelled on budget concerns, they were politically motivated - every bit as much as the decision NOT to cancel this concert.

Until we can put fiscal concerns above political motivations, we're going to have more fiscal cliffs and debt crises.
I have no doubt that the decision to cut White House tours was political, but we're making him cut SOMETHING, and everything that can be cut has a constituency. White House tours seem to me a pretty reasonable place to cut as it's a totally non-essential service and losing it does not greatly affect anyone's life. As far as this concert, I'd have no problem with Obama cancelling this concert, but I also have no problem with him not canceling it. While I'm sure the cost of security is substantial, I can't imagine it compares with the annual cost of the tours; there simply isn't room in the White House for that many Secret Service agents nor enough physical hours to do enough background checks to match the number of additional Secret Service agents, tour guides, etc. required to manage the tours. Every cost except security is invoiced back to the concert's producers, and I think it's reasonable that the taxpayers pick up the cost of security as the concert is nominally for the American public. Every President from Carter on has had the opportunity to cancel these concerts; none has. If we don't have the money then fine, cancel them, but while I'm sensitive about the "let them eat cake" appearance presented, the purpose of the concert is at least nominally to benefit the American public with a free concert showcasing a variety of talent.

Serious question: Did liberals sound this crazy when Bush was president?
Don't kid yourself, liberals sound this crazy NOW. They sounded much more crazy when Bush was President.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

headstart has been proven to be a financial blackhole time and time again, by third grade all the kids are equal. All headstart is is government funded babysitting period and should be totally cut out of the budget.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Far worse, and that includes Democrats and progressives. Too bad you're too young to remember just how bad they were or you'd remember they were ever worse during the Reagan administration and the faux outrage by the left about the cost of Nancy Reagan's dresses.

Did liberals really get foaming-at-the-mouth outraged every time Bush left the house or took his wife on a date? Because I honestly don't remembered that. They might have mercilessly teased him for spending half his time clearing brush in the middle of nowhere, or spending trillions on wars, but that's it. But every time Obama orders a venti chai latte, the conservatives blow a gasket saying how out of touch he is with regular people or something.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
But every time Obama orders a venti chai latte, the conservatives blow a gasket saying how out of touch he is with regular people or something.

Yes, some of them did. Every president gets this same reaction from the extremists on the other side. It just may seem worse now because there are so many extremists on the right, having driven out the saner elements of their party, and because the neanderthals that remain are systematically whipped into a frenzy by the Fox "News" / talk radio hate machine.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Did liberals really get foaming-at-the-mouth outraged every time Bush left the house or took his wife on a date? Because I honestly don't remembered that. They might have mercilessly teased him for spending half his time clearing brush in the middle of nowhere, or spending trillions on wars, but that's it. But every time Obama orders a venti chai latte, the conservatives blow a gasket saying how out of touch he is with regular people or something.

Bullshit.
Sorry, I had thought your earlier question I answered to be an honest question. My mistake.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Yes, some of them did. Every president gets this same reaction from the extremists on the other side. It just may seem worse now because there are so many extremists on the right, having driven out the saner elements of their party, and because the neanderthals that remain are systematically whipped into a frenzy by the Fox "News" / talk radio hate machine.

You start out being honest and then, as usual, drop into troll territory by lying about one sides extremists without acknowledging you own extremism and those on your side.
Bush was attacked strenuously for his golfing to a point he stopped golfing by CNN/ABC/CBS/TIME etc.. While he did go to Camp David and his ranch, in no way ,shape or form were those the same as the Obama's lavish lifestyle tours.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I have no doubt that the decision to cut White House tours was political, but we're making him cut SOMETHING, and everything that can be cut has a constituency. White House tours seem to me a pretty reasonable place to cut as it's a totally non-essential service and losing it does not greatly affect anyone's life. As far as this concert, I'd have no problem with Obama cancelling this concert, but I also have no problem with him not canceling it. While I'm sure the cost of security is substantial, I can't imagine it compares with the annual cost of the tours; there simply isn't room in the White House for that many Secret Service agents nor enough physical hours to do enough background checks to match the number of additional Secret Service agents, tour guides, etc. required to manage the tours. Every cost except security is invoiced back to the concert's producers, and I think it's reasonable that the taxpayers pick up the cost of security as the concert is nominally for the American public. Every President from Carter on has had the opportunity to cancel these concerts; none has. If we don't have the money then fine, cancel them, but while I'm sensitive about the "let them eat cake" appearance presented, the purpose of the concert is at least nominally to benefit the American public with a free concert showcasing a variety of talent.

"For the benefit of the American public" is quite different than "for the entertainment of the American public". Any reasonable person would be hard-pressed to make a case that the American public is any better off for the broadcast of this concert than they would be without it.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
You start out being honest...

... which makes me at least one step better than you, who is never honest about anything.

You're a pretty typical example of the sorts of rabid, boorish, thoughtless reactionaries that populate the right these days. Long on outrage, short on consideration, and incapable of logical reasoning.

And by the way, I am not on a "side" here. I thought the criticisms of Bush every time he took a trip or went to his ranch were bullshit also, and I said so at the time. And in 4 or 8 or 12 years when there's a Republican president, and the lefties are whining about his vacations while the righties act all outraged and forget how they behaved towards Obama, I'll still be calling it bullshit.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
... which makes me at least one step better than you, who is never honest about anything.

You're a pretty typical example of the sorts of rabid, boorish, thoughtless reactionaries that populate the right these days. Long on outrage, short on consideration, and incapable of logical reasoning.

And by the way, I am not on a "side" here. I thought the criticisms of Bush every time he took a trip or went to his ranch were bullshit also, and I said so at the time. And in 4 or 8 or 12 years when there's a Republican president, and the lefties are whining about his vacations while the righties act all outraged and forget how they behaved towards Obama, I'll still be calling it bullshit.

Again with the bullshit from you. I am honest about my partisanship while you lie about yours continually. While I point out my differences with my party on a regular basis (pro- choice, pro-gay marriage, drug legalization, fair trade etc.) you walk in lockstep with the Democratic party and yet deny you're just another typical Democrat partisan. You act like a troll in so many of your posts and then get all butt hurt when it gets pointed out to you.
If you want to take the high road then take it, don't keep dropping down into the cesspits and then try to claim you smell like a fucking rose.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Oh, cry me a fucking river.

Spare me your entirely-partisan, completely-transparent crocodile tear bullshit. You people are the worst types of frauds.

If you want to endorse a President that uses school children to make a political point that is your prerogative.

Not agreeing with you doesn't make anyone a fraud. Though, you are free to continue to think that it does.

Best of luck with that.

Uno

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
I have no doubt that the decision to cut White House tours was political, but we're making him cut SOMETHING, and everything that can be cut has a constituency. ....

Never handled a budget have you?

2.4% out of my budget means that we cut back on office supplies, eliminate as much travel as possible, and cut back on training.

With a 2.4% cut back in my department, no services get cut and no one gets laid off.

Everyone that has ever handled a budget knows that going after the school children was just Obama being petulant.

Do you really think that someone that raised $750 million dollars for his own reelection can't find a enough money for school children to tour the White House?

Obama no time for school children. Plenty of time for people that can pay $32,500. for a dinner.

Uno

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

For someone who on countless times complained about P&N being a cesspool, you sure don't seem to mind shitting and then wallowing in this cesspool. :whiste:

People seem to always think it's different when THEY are the ones adding to it, but in the end, it still smells like shit and P&N is what it is today.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Sure, sure, meanwhile our Dear Leader is taking multi million dollar ultra exotic vacations and having house parties with justin timberlake.

Brilliant!

What does it matter? Folks make decisions every day that affects their lives in a material way and do so amongst doing all manner of things some of which are not so much fun... Some folks make decisions that affect many other folks and I'd prefer they do so in the most ideal mind set possible. IF Obama's decision making is favorably impacted by lunch with the devil I'd be all for that too. What ever makes what ever he does the best possible means is fine by me... so long as it is legal and that is about the only criteria I'd mandate.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
headstart has been proven to be a financial blackhole time and time again, by third grade all the kids are equal. All headstart is is government funded babysitting period and should be totally cut out of the budget.

OK... so pick what ever better use of the funds that might meet the test. Sometimes a program meets more than one objective and maybe the Head Start program provides a means for the parent(s) to work... while giving the kids a bit of fun in the meantime.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Buh-buh-buh-buh but xyz did it too so it's justified!!

Buh-buh-buh-buh congress sets the spending limits so he can just spend it alllll!

I mean hey, if it's free money just take it.... No different than welfare, food stamps, obamaphones, doesn't matter if you need them it's free money! You'd be stupid not to just take that free money!

This has said it all for over 40 years:

http://youtu.be/wgrD-8b53AM