Whistler Radar Detector Buy.Com DOTD 03/10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rubenswm

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
Any radar detector will work on a motorcycle as far as the visual alert goes (if you can mount/see it). The valentine one is very nice because they have addons just for motorcycle users:

https://store.valentine1.com/store/

in my own opinion, anything but a valentine one, and you're risking your ass. I'd rather have no radar detector then a false sense of security.

cwand

Banned
Jun 26, 2000
Does anyone have any experience with the jammers (i.e. the Phazer from Rocky Mountain Radar)? Just wondering how well they work. Is there a site that has reviewed one?

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Jammers for the most part don't work very well. They really don't have enough power to do anything, nor or they shielded from their own radiation. Long use will probably make you sterile. Just get a good detector, drive carefully, and you'll be fine.

yodayoda

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2001
nice! very cool, thanks for pointing that out to me. after i pay for my ticket, i will save up my cash and get one of these.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
I saw a old Motor Trend report on detectors and jammers. The jammer would not even stop a bicycle from being picked up, and yes, they did mount it on a bicycle. They took one apart and the "jammer" electronics was actually smaller than the electronice to run the LED's.

The best protection they found was a Bearcat Scanner. If you know where they are you don't have to worry about the quality of your radar detector :)

sleefer

Feb 18, 2001
Ya know gettin' nailed with the ticket is bad enough, but then the points also come into play. The thing I rally like about the V1 is that it seems to work just as well to the sides and behind the car.

echozero

Feb 12, 2001
yeah, i've seen the v1... it's pretty awesome. if you're always in bad luck, it'll pay for itself awfully quick. =)

Jim

Oct 9, 1999
Haha, Ohio 737, next time you bless us with a "hot deal" please read your blatant copy/paste to make sure that buy.com didnt make some ridiculous errors in the description (as is the case here) :)

Just a friendly reminder to avoid looking kinda, erm, silly.

ingenue007

Apr 4, 2000
i have that radar and it's ok. i bought it for 80 or so off of amazon a couple months back. i wish it had the arrows like the valentine but the valentine costs way way more than i can afford. i use it when driving from austin to houston and i get beeps in the middle of nowhere so i'm pretty sure it works; only thing is i don't know where the signal is coming from since there are no arrows. the good thing about this detector is it tells you what band it is detecting. it literally says "Ka Band." I usually only pay atttention to K and Ka bands when driving on the interstate. I noticed that on in TX (in san antonio, houston and austin), i've only picked up Ka band. Only once did I pick up K band; I guess TX troopers use mostly Ka band. Anyone confirm?

For a hot deal, I suggest you all go down to half price books and get a copy of "A speeder's guide to avoiding tickets" by James Eagan former NY trooper. Yeah, don't speed under bridges and turns. Straightway with barriers are the best; medians mean ticketing area. It says cops usually always give 5 over the limit due to calibration errors and are tolerant up to 10 above the limit.

I speed b/c I get bored of the drive. The best thing I've found to make myself drive the limit w/o noticing how slow i'm driving is listening to audio books. Give it a try. I'm paying attention more to the story than to how fast i'm going. Listened to "silence of the lambs". Listening to "hannibal" on my next trip.