Which will be the *New FPS with the bigger MP community?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
After replying earlier in this thread I decided to jump on and play. Checked CTF and there was 3 games with people, so I decided to try Team DM and there was one game almost fulled and 2 others with people on them.....

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I thought Quake 4 was a good game. I still play it from time to time. Never got into the MP part though, I just play the SP campaign.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Your poll fails. Half Life 1 still has the largest online player base of any game (except for WoW, of course).

I was hoping to clarify in the OP that it is about NEW FPS

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: KaOTiK
After replying earlier in this thread I decided to jump on and play. Checked CTF and there was 3 games with people, so I decided to try Team DM and there was one game almost fulled and 2 others with people on them.....

That is really sad for such a recent multiplayer game. :( The original UT used to have hundreds of populated games of each gametype at just about any time of the day, back when I played anyway. It would be interesting to see some sales figures on this title.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO
Quake 4 for me. I have CoD4 coming in. I am in a clan for q4 and we talk on TS and have a website for the clan. It is a very close nit group that keeps in contact. I never could get into UT. Quake 2,3 and 4 were always better for me as UT just had something that kept it from being as fun.

I can't wait to give the full blown MP CoD4 a try though. It sounds as though it will be loads of fun.

Quake 4? Really? I had that game about a year or so ago and I could never find more than one server with a couple of people in it. Are more people playing it now? :confused:

KT

There are several servers, but I only play Freeze. Normally there are at least 12 people or so, sometimes as many as 20 on our clan server. Some of the other servers have traffic as well. Like I said though, it is mostly a clan thing with ohters scattered about. There is probably less than 100 regular players, but they are on pretty much every night.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: CP5670
Originally posted by: KaOTiK

That is really sad for such a recent multiplayer game. :( The original UT used to have hundreds of populated games of each gametype at just about any time of the day, back when I played anyway. It would be interesting to see some sales figures on this title.

I agree, I was a huge fan of the original UT, wasn't a big fan of 2k3/4 though. I enjoyed the UT3 demo it felt a lot like the original and I was expecting a huge community like every other UT launch with a running start, instead this one is drowning it seems.

I am disappointed with the number of maps for CTF as that is my fav game type, 6 maps and 2 that I recognize are remakes of the originals. The whole menu and server browser absolutely suck too.

A few of my friends that are like me with the series picked it up and feel the same. It is actually hard for the 4-6 of us to play in a game right now and instead we just load up TF2.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: LAMONTBURNSI played UT99 and UT2K4 comepetitively in CTF originally and then ONS/TDM/TAM. I know what is involved, and keep a strong pulse on the competitive communities. However I don't like UT3 for whatever reason.

You're not alone; there are definitely many UT99 and UT 2004 faithful who aren't all that thrilled with the UT3 game play. However, many of us are moving on to UT3. There's still some UT99 CTF action left if you enjoy playing PUG matches. Come to irc.GameRadius.net #speedpug for 125 speed regular weapons CTF pugs. It's one of my favorite gaming activities.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Slimy
I don't understand how anyone can vote for UT3. The servers list is nearly empty, and the game has been out for a full 2 weeks. Multiplayer PC games don't have their communities peak 6 months after release. They never have. After a couple months, most people have moved on to another game.

Look at past multiplayer-centric FPS games: TF2, BF2, BF2142, 2K4, Tribes 2, etc. Within a day or two of release, these games had dozens of packed servers available with low pings, no matter where you lived. These games hit the ground running from day one. Last night, in east-coast prime time, I saw a total of 12 populated UT3 servers playing Warfare, of which only 2 had a ping of less than 100. The future is not bright for UT3.

UT3 has one thing going for it--the game play is fundamentally solid.

So, if Epic can fix the clunky user interface and server browser with patches, and if they can fix the technical problems that server administrators are having, it's a game that could bubble back up to the surface. Also, the advertising campaign for the game hasn't even started yet--I suspect that they're waiting until at least the PS3 version is on store shelves. What would happen to sales of the PC version if it became one of the most popular console games? Also, as people get better computers that can play UT3 and as folks buy it when it's on sale, I think we'll start to see more and more activity and many of those players will continue to play the game long term. In the meantime, the likes of Crysis are liable to be long since forgotten in a year or two when folks are still playing UT3.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CP5670

I remember what it was like when I bought UT99 in Feb 2001 (best $10 I ever spent). It was possible to find 3000 players online 24/7 playing just the CTF game.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
You guys in the US have atleast a few UT3 servers to play on, here in Singapore, I can't find a single local populated server. Sucks! :|

I was looking forward to UT3 more than crysis even, and it's been such a disappointment. And the more I play offline against bots, greater the number of flaws that pop up, especially the ultrashit menu and options.... you cant even customize the crosshairs..WTF.

At this stage, i am not even interested in playing UT3 anymore....looks like I just wasted my money.

Epic has screwed PC gamers this time around, to pander to the console gamers. I hope it bombs on the console too. Bastards! :|

Well, there's always COD4....

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: martensite
You guys in the US have atleast a few UT3 servers to play on, here in Singapore, I can't find a single local populated server. Sucks! :|

I was looking forward to UT3 more than crysis even, and it's been such a disappointment. And the more I play offline against bots, greater the number of flaws that pop up, especially the ultrashit menu and options.... you cant even customize the crosshairs..WTF.

At this stage, i am not even interested in playing UT3 anymore....looks like I just wasted my money.

Epic has screwed PC gamers this time around, to pander to the console gamers. I hope it bombs on the console too. Bastards! :|

Well, there's always COD4....

yep, pc games are being ruined by catering to the console crowd.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I love how roughly 2% of the UT3 world-wide gaming population chimed in on the poll. ;) :D

Honestly makes me wonder if people thought the same of Doom 3 and Quake 4 when they were released and no one bought/played them.......