Which will be the *New FPS with the bigger MP community?

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Looking for a new FPS to get into. Currently have Crysis and TF2. So far I haven't gotten any goosebumps playing either (same ol same ol, although nuking in Crysis and the Pyro in Tf2 have gotten me close ;))

Discuss

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
The people that voted UT3 are delusional. UT3 isn't the only game for sale for the PC this X-Mas, yet believers think they will leap-frog everything else for some reason. Judging by the numbers out there at various sites showing total people online, UT3 is one of the worst. There's about 10x or more people playing COD:4 online than UT3 atm.

My vote is COD:4. Judging by people who have tried the MP, most love it. UT3 not so much, same with Crysis. TF2 is great fun, but some people don't like the non-realism(cartoony) element to it, if you can really say any are "real".

Don't know jack about ETQW.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
I just did a quick game-monitor search, and it showed 741 people playing UT3 on-line right now. That is very, very low. UT has/had a strong following in the past, which up until now has decided to not buy UT3 for whatever reason.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: LAMONTBURNS
I just did a quick game-monitor search, and it showed 741 people playing UT3 on-line right now. That is very, very low. UT has/had a strong following in the past, which up until now has decided to not buy UT3 for whatever reason.

how many were playing CoD4?

1PM in the afternoon on a weekday isn't exactly the best time to do these kinds of checks anyway.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
I have always loved UT3, that'd be a shame if this flopped.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex

1PM in the afternoon on a weekday isn't exactly the best time to do these kinds of checks anyway.

Game Tracker

I know there's a way to see how many total, just couldn't find the quick link. But as you can see, COD4 is #1 (not counting CS 1.6/CS:S combined). I'm sure its cannibilizing players from the older MW games like CS/BF2 but at the same time, I don't think many are going back. I know a lot of my old clanmates were targeting CoD4 as their next game.

As for UT3....I think it was mainly due to bad timing for them. Same for QW:ET. Not to mention there seems to be a much bigger following for MW titles rather than futuristic shooters with rocket launchers/tazers etc.....

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002

COD4 was into the 10k+ range. I check in the PM just fine on a weekday as it's a worldwide survey, not just the US. It's still a useable cross-section imo.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Yeah, I really wanna try COD4 to see what the fuss is all about before I commit to buying it. I have way too many games to tack another one on (halo3, crysis, tf2, css UGH).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i've pretty much quit playing TF2. it was fun for awhile but the maps got really old after awhile and i didn't really care for the non-ctf game types (which basically left me 1 map to play).

its the same crap every game.

CoD4 is my current time waster. Most of the time I just play 1 vs. 1 with my friend.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Well it sure aint ETQW, I can barely find a decent server with decent players.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
i've pretty much quit playing TF2. it was fun for awhile but the maps got really old after awhile and i didn't really care for the non-ctf game types (which basically left me 1 map to play).

its the same crap every game.

CoD4 is my current time waster. Most of the time I just play 1 vs. 1 with my friend.

Yeah, i thought I would get really into it, but I'm kind of bored of it already.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
CoD4... TF2 is ok, but there isn't enough maps to keep my interest,. I'll wait for some of the modding to pick up before playing it again.

Oct 30, 2004

Many of the holdouts are UT99 and UT 2004 faithful and they were irritated by the server browser and the user interface and some just don't have the computers needed to run UT3. They'll come around sooner or later and eventually they will purchase UT3.

If you enjoyed UT99, buy UT3; you won't be sorry. The game play is lots of fun if you can look past the clunky user interface and server browser (patches are in the works to fix or at least improve upon that stuff).

If you've never played UT before, then you'll find that the game does in fact have a learning curve, but if you're patient and willing to take your nooby lumps and pay your dues, you'll discover that it's a heckuva lot of fun. Unlike the "realistic" shooters, the UT games offer intense, action-packed, high-body-count game play.

I suggest trying the demo and playing the two deathmatch maps online. (Ignore the vehicles CTF map; CTF was meant to be played on foot.) If you enjoy the intensity of the deathmatch game, you'll enjoy the other game types.

Players who become serious about the game join IRC communities and discussion forums, they chat with their friends on voice comm, they join clans, they make lots of online friends, and they also arrange pickup games. There is so, so much more to the UT games than meet the eye.

Did I mention that there will be plenty of extra game types and custom, user-made maps? The previous UT games must have had over 10,000 user made maps. The good ones end up on servers and you'll be able to play them online.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Top 5 online FPS

1.Counter strike ( has never changed position )
2.Couter strike source
3.Halo 3
4.BF2
5.Quake War ET

Sorry to say , after 60hrs + of TF2 , player get really burnout with the game :!

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Many of the holdouts are UT99 and UT 2004 faithful and they were irritated by the server browser and the user interface and some just don't have the computers needed to run UT3. They'll come around sooner or later and eventually they will purchase UT3.

If you enjoyed UT99, buy UT3; you won't be sorry. The game play is lots of fun if you can look past the clunky user interface and server browser (patches are in the works to fix or at least improve upon that stuff).

If you've never played UT before, then you'll find that the game does in fact have a learning curve, but if you're patient and willing to take your nooby lumps and pay your dues, you'll discover that it's a heckuva lot of fun. Unlike the "realistic" shooters, the UT games offer intense, action-packed, high-body-count game play.

I suggest trying the demo and playing the two deathmatch maps online. (Ignore the vehicles CTF map; CTF was meant to be played on foot.) If you enjoy the intensity of the deathmatch game, you'll enjoy the other game types.

Players who become serious about the game join IRC communities and discussion forums, they chat with their friends on voice comm, they join clans, they make lots of online friends, and they also arrange pickup games. There is so, so much more to the UT games than meet the eye.

Did I mention that there will be plenty of extra game types and custom, user-made maps? The previous UT games must have had over 10,000 user made maps. The good ones end up on servers and you'll be able to play them online.

I played UT99 and UT2K4 comepetitively in CTF originally and then ONS/TDM/TAM. I know what is involved, and keep a strong pulse on the competitive communities. However I don't like UT3 for whatever reason.

The server support at hand right now is terrible, as well as the redirect. The guy who wants to set up the insta-gib low gravity kewl server is having a lot of issues getting it up and running b/c of how terrible it is this go around versus 2K4.

The modding community is vast, no doubt... and great mods and tweaks will be there in time. The problem I see is many previous comp gamers are now testing waters in COD and TF for the most part instead of spending time in UT3 in its current state. No guarantee that all of them will come back.

Additionally, I see a lot of issues with community growth in that not everyone wants to tweak the shit out of their .ini to gain every possible advantage with FPS/View/Blur etc. That is an obstacle for first time UT players. Again, hoping they patch in a lot of those options in the Menus.

Warfare is fun for kids. The Orb is a modified deemer which was never present in any competitive ladder set up. The maps are bad atm, and vehicles are LOL. I can dominate even more in my silent manta than I did in 2K4.

CTF and DM/TDM is the only thing worth competition atm. Perhaps 2 patches later Warfare will have some semblance of depth. I got bored of the sheer retardedness of the Manta in about 1 hour.

I have played CTF and DM for many years now. The allure faded for me I guess. Nothing progressive really. Just a 99 w' revamp for those that despised 2K3 and 2K4.

Oct 18, 2007
I don't understand how anyone can vote for UT3. The servers list is nearly empty, and the game has been out for a full 2 weeks. Multiplayer PC games don't have their communities peak 6 months after release. They never have. After a couple months, most people have moved on to another game.

Look at past multiplayer-centric FPS games: TF2, BF2, BF2142, 2K4, Tribes 2, etc. Within a day or two of release, these games had dozens of packed servers available with low pings, no matter where you lived. These games hit the ground running from day one. Last night, in east-coast prime time, I saw a total of 12 populated UT3 servers playing Warfare, of which only 2 had a ping of less than 100. The future is not bright for UT3.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
I remember when I first started CS 1.0. I was hooked, and the community became bigger and bigger. Me and some of my HS friends started playing 1.6 competitively. Today I still play CS:S every now and then. I've been trying to get into an FPS game the same way I did was CS but I haven't found one yet. Closest was BF2142, but that quickly got boring. I'm hoping COD4 develops a strong and lasting following.

I have a question, is there a still a large BF2 community?

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Quake 4 for me. I have CoD4 coming in. I am in a clan for q4 and we talk on TS and have a website for the clan. It is a very close nit group that keeps in contact. I never could get into UT. Quake 2,3 and 4 were always better for me as UT just had something that kept it from being as fun.

I can't wait to give the full blown MP CoD4 a try though. It sounds as though it will be loads of fun.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO
Quake 4 for me. I have CoD4 coming in. I am in a clan for q4 and we talk on TS and have a website for the clan. It is a very close nit group that keeps in contact. I never could get into UT. Quake 2,3 and 4 were always better for me as UT just had something that kept it from being as fun.

I can't wait to give the full blown MP CoD4 a try though. It sounds as though it will be loads of fun.

Quake 4? Really? I had that game about a year or so ago and I could never find more than one server with a couple of people in it. Are more people playing it now? :confused:

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Slimy
I don't understand how anyone can vote for UT3. The servers list is nearly empty, and the game has been out for a full 2 weeks. Multiplayer PC games don't have their communities peak 6 months after release. They never have. After a couple months, most people have moved on to another game.

Look at past multiplayer-centric FPS games: TF2, BF2, BF2142, 2K4, Tribes 2, etc. Within a day or two of release, these games had dozens of packed servers available with low pings, no matter where you lived. These games hit the ground running from day one. Last night, in east-coast prime time, I saw a total of 12 populated UT3 servers playing Warfare, of which only 2 had a ping of less than 100. The future is not bright for UT3.

what about other game types?
i think its a bit unfair to base it on just 1 game type. i bet CTF and the DM type games have a lot more servers and players.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

i think its a bit unfair to base it on just 1 game type. i bet CTF and the DM type games have a lot more servers and players.

Actually CTF and vechile CTF are in worse shape then Warfare. No clue on DM or TDM.

He is right though, UT3's community is surprisingly very small right. The other day when I logged on to play CTF there were 7 servers with people on them and 3 of which were full and the others not even half full. I just closed down the game and went back to TF2 instead

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I'm not sure what will be bigger in the future.
Cod4 could be if they release mod tools properly and its not overly difficult to make maps.
Otherwise it will slowly die off without new content.

UT3 - could have been great, but I think epic is more focused on the ps3 version.
Still release of the ps3 version could add tons of new players since content has to be created on a pc.

My favorite for now:
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
Free, and tons of players online, lots of servers.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

Well, the Warfare was probably the most hyped mode and you would expect to see a lot of people in it unless it completely sucks in comparison to the traditional gametypes. 12 games running at this point is pathetic. I'm wondering why it's so unpopular. I definitely liked what I saw in the demo, but if the active community is that small then I may think twice about getting the game.

To be honest, I have hardly heard anything about the game since its release. It almost seems like it got buried in the big mass of games we've suddenly gotten in the last month.