Which SSD brand do you trust?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Love my OCZ Vertex 4 256GB with newest firmware.

I didn't think I would notice a speed increase over a Intel 320 80GB, but I was wrong!

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I trust no storage device from any vendor.

I enjoy the fastest ones available, and keep backups in case of RMA.

I have enough that should one die, I can reconfigure my RAID with less drives, re image my entire partition in less than 60 seconds (from SSD to SSD of course), RMA the dead SSD, etc.

Last edited:

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
ok good information infoiltrator.

so maybe 120gb.

So maybe Intel? Crucial does not sound so good anymore.

Do I want SATA 2 or SATA 3? How much faster boot time would be on SATA 3?

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Crucial is fine as long as you use 0309 or 00F firmware. The newest firmware has difficulty with some UEFI BIOSes or so I hear.

With very few exceptions (such as the sub-HDD write speeds of Intel X25-M G2's), you will not be able to tell much of a speed difference between any SSDs manufactured in the last 2 years in real-life experience except when transferring multiple gigabytes of data at a time to/from another SSD (or similar-speed array), and that simply does not happen very often.

Moving data from an SSD to a HDD (or vice versa) = HDD is the bottleneck anyway. If over network or USB 2.0 then that's an even worse bottleneck.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
what do you mean moving data is bottlenecked?

also whats the big deal with all the firmware. can't you just use the first version and not update? I mean are you really seeing huge gains from updating to the next firmware and risk having your SSD die? don't sound worth it to me.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
It's been said before in this thread. Trusting one or the other brand is the wrong way to go about this, you have to look at the specific model. All manufacturers have their own share of flops. Take intel for example, the 320 model was plagued by the 8MB bug, intel released new firmware that was supposed to fix the issue, but apparently it still happens even to this day on certain hardware configurations and intel won't do anything about it. The new Intel 335 drive has Mechanical Wear Indicator going down at an alarming rate according to anandtech review, way too fast, and I haven't read any resolution to this issue so far (correct me if I'm wrong). The Samsung 840 Pro is under suspicion now since Anandtech had two drives die on them. While it may not necessarily mean anything, I wouldn't buy 840 Pro until it establishes a good track record after these two failures. I'm not even going to talk about OCZ, they have had so many different drives and so many failures, that personally I'm going to completely write them off.

Basically, go for the models, not brands. Intel G2, 330, 520 are good, 320 and 335 are not. Samsung 830 is good, 840Pro the jury is still out. Crucial M4 (with the latest firmware that fixes 5000 hour bug) is good. Everything else is kind of unknown - there is too little feedback to make a conclusive opinion.

jwilliams4200

Apr 10, 2009
Everything else is kind of unknown - there is too little feedback to make a conclusive opinion.

You forgot Plextor. They are by far the most trustworthy brand. They have not had any serious firmware bugs or hardware problems on any of their SSDs. They have a thorough set of qualification tests, as well as burn-in tests run on every SSD (see on their website for details). And the percentage of poor newegg reviews on Plextor models is the best around.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
which Plextor? I have never heard of this company before.

Intel 330 120gb sounds. Do you guys think this is a good size or smaller.

Ok so operating system, anti virus, and some main programs.

then should I make it cache SSD or no?

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I would just go with a brand/model that has been out for 6-12 months. Its short-term reliability/failure rate will be reasonably known by then.

Avoid ones with track record of failures (e.g. OCZ Sandforce).

Oft-recommended models like the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 are not necessarily failure-proof (nothing is in the computer world) but they are a relatively safe bet.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
which Plextor? I have never heard of this company before.

Intel 330 120gb sounds. Do you guys think this is a good size or smaller.

Ok so operating system, anti virus, and some main programs.

then should I make it cache SSD or no?

Been around for years. Was the Cadillac of optical drives (CD burners). Those glory days passed, but they seemed to have made an excellent SSD in their first offering.

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
I don't think Plextor has ever released a bad product. Excellent, albeit obscure, track record.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I trust Plextor SSDs most, then anything with the Marvell 88SS9174 controller (except anything by OCZ,) and then Samsung and Intel. Otherwise, I trust most manufacturers very little.

nk215

Dec 4, 2008
I have 5 Samsung 830, three flextor M5, four crucial M4, two intel x25m g2 180. Three of them (each brand beside intel) are 256gig, everything else are 128 (beside intel which are 180)

I am going after a intel x25-e when the price is right (used prob).

Those are the only brands that I trust. I would never use a OCZ even if it were at half the price of the above brands.

128 gig at around 80 dollars are great price. I bought a ton because I afraid they won't be making ssd the way they used to in the near future. They continue to shrink the die at the cost of longevity of the chip.

I use SSD as my boot drives, to host my virtual HDs (vhd files), and store Photoshop cache.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
I have 5 Samsung 830, three flextor M5, four crucial M4, two intel x25m g2 180. Three of them (each brand beside intel) are 256gig, everything else are 128 (beside intel which are 180)

I am going after a intel x25-e when the price is right (used prob).

Those are the only brands that I trust. I would never use a OCZ even if it were at half the price of the above brands.

128 gig at around 80 dollars are great price. I bought a ton because I afraid they won't be making ssd the way they used to in the near future. They continue to shrink the die at the cost of longevity of the chip.

I use SSD as my boot drives, to host my virtual HDs (vhd files), and store Photoshop cache.
so you use your ssd as caching drive?

is your bigger SSD not caching? you use it like a second hard drive?

nk215

Dec 4, 2008
so you use your ssd as caching drive?

is your bigger SSD not caching? you use it like a second hard drive?

The main reason I want a separate cache drive is because I take an image of my OS drive for backup regularly. I don't want temp data such as cache to be part of the backup.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I've owned 3-4 Intel Drives, 2 OCZ, 2 Corsair, 2 Crucial and 2 Kingston SSD's

Wish I was kidding.

None of them have had issues.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
I've owned 3-4 Intel Drives, 2 OCZ, 2 Corsair, 2 Crucial and 2 Kingston SSD's

Wish I was kidding.

None of them have had issues.
ok why exactly did you switch if none had issues???

what I am understanding is there is not much difference in speed the last few years. only big difference that I see is more gb for less $.

were any of them cache SSD and why?

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Cause im constantly flipping parts on ebay and building and selling PCs often for not much profit just for the fun of it.

Call me crazy, i just like screwing around.

Last edited:

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
ok so Zap said caching is Intel. So I guess only Intel SSD can be cache SSD.

so what size of SSD would you say is minimum to be worth it. 64gb or 120gb.

Operating system takes like 10gb. Everything else not much. anti virus is nothing, so many programs.

maybe 64 is the best deal?