Which smartphone OS do you think you will be using in a year?

Which OS/platform/ecosystem will you be using?

• Android

• iOS

• Windows Phone

• BlackBerry

• Ubuntu/Linux

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Obviously the mobile landscape changes very quickly and what looks good today might not look that good in a year's time, but what OS/platform/ecosystem do you think your phone will run or be this time next year?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Probably the same thing I'm using right now, since my phone was only released a few months ago, and I signed a 2-year contract.

In two years? All bets are off. Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS might actually be mature by then. I could see myself on any of iOS (where I was last year), Android (where I am now), BlackBerry (which has my favourite phone specs), and Windows Phone (OK maybe not ;)).

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Android, unless something drastic happens. No interest in BB or IOS. Windows maybe, if fully unlocked with a good modding community.

I'm on a Note II now, so phone display size would have a big influence as well. Only android has man sized phones atm :).

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Windows Phone. I would be using the Lumia 920, but for several reasons I'm waiting for the next generation. That thing is truly awesome, and I believe it will only get better from here on out.

Riceninja

Golden Member
May 21, 2008
if the jump to android 5.0 is as big as the jump from 2.3 to 4.0, then android for sure.

blackberry is a close 2nd if their apps ecosystem improves, assuming they make it to the end of the year without being bought out.

iOS, never again

windows phone UI isn't really for me, cant stand this playpen bright tiles interface.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'm on android for the last few years and it has matured nicely. iOS is basically the same so I see no use in using it. Windows is interesting and I am looking forward to getting one when my job provided iPhone 5 is up for renewal I may look into it.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
WP8 most likely. Been using an HTC Trophy on VZW for 2 years (WP7.5) and absolutely love the OS. The camera on it is terrible (and no ffc), no gyro, nfc, etc, but otherwise I have no problems with the phone or ecosystem.

Hopefully VZW gets something equivalent to the Lumia 920 this year (I want that camera), and if so, I will be on WP8.

Won't be switching to iOS or Android.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Windows phone. Have and love my Lumia 920. If something new comes out other than the 41MP EOS phone I might be upgraded round then.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Probably iOS still since I have a two year contract. After that I guess it depends what's available then. I won't consider BB or WP until they're more mature by about 3 more years.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Probably Android just because of the fact that I'm really tied to Google's services. Also, I love where Android is going.

WP8 is a serious contender. I'm picking up an 822 today to play around with it and see if I like it. I'm sure I will, but it's just the fact that I'll be missing a lot of services I get with Google.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Oh hard to say. I get a new phone every few months, so I could have gotten several more by then!

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
As I said, probably Android because of my contract, but the one I want to try the most is BlackBerry.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
As I said, probably Android because of my contract, but the one I want to try the most is BlackBerry.

I completely agree there. After I try the 822, it'll either sell me on WP8 or turn me off altogether. The Pre was a phone that sold me on that operating system. The problem with that phone was it came out so very late to the carriers which ended up not having the best of specs. BB10 reminds me of WebOS so very much, but combines fantastic elements from the other players (iOS, Android, WP). I would just love to play with a device.

Anyway, my next phone will more than likely be Android with Key Lime Pie and in the mix will be several devices. It's probable I'll be toying with whatever new WP8 devices that come my way. Until Apple gives iOS an overhaul, I don't want to use it. It honestly feels like the same exact OS since it was released. I had the first 2 gens of iPod Touches so I can recall how stale that OS got, and it does the same for me to this day.

So in order:

Android
WP8
BB10
iOS (unless revamped, then put it where BB10 is)

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Android. I really like Windows 8 and the idea of WP8 really intrigues me, but until WP gains the ability to customize things like the keyboard I will stick with Android.

Unless Microsoft buys Swiftkey and Mightytext and integrates them into WP, in which case I'd probably switch in a heartbeat.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Will be using the same Android I'm now using. Not eligible for upgrade until May of 2014 Then we'll probably get a new Android.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Android or possibly Ubuntu depending on how that progresses as there's no way I'm going to a more restrictive system. WP8 seems to have a lot of potential if you buy into the MS ecosystem, but after seeing the other engineers at my work get them and bitch left and right about all of the features they lost compared to Android it'll be a while before that's even a consideration.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I've gotten my new tablet less than a month ago and my new phone 3 days ago.. I think I will give Android a shot for at least a year. It has already been quite a pleasure anyway.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Android, because of contract, but when the contract is up, it will be which ever phone I find to be the best regardless of OS. This time around, I felt the gs3 was the best phone out at the time(for me).

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
In a year? Android without question. In a couple more years? WP9 might be attractive. I can't see iOS unless they start making bigger screens.