Question Which Process node does SD 7g1 use ?

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
Snapdragon 7 gen 1 is fabbed on Samsung 4nm node. My question is, do we have details on whether is it 4LPX or 4LPE ?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I don't know about this specifically but QCOM switched to TSMC after some issues on SD8G1 and produced SD8G1+ with some decent improvements and will be using TSMC moving forward for SD8G2 due to the better performance on their fabs vs SS. The overheating issues with G1 went away with G1+ on TSMC.

If you want to see more specs figure out the model number of the SD7G1 and then plug it into news.google.com and tons of reviews and insights should come up and answer your question.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Snapdragon 8 gen 1 is made in 4LPX.

Based on what?

Gen 1 and Exynos 2200 should both be 4LPE. I've seen a few sources claim otherwise, that the 2200 was 4LPE while the 8 Gen 1 is 4LPX, but I don't see why Qualcomm would have initially used an LPX node for mobile until it became obvious that N4 was just that much better (see: Dimensity 9000).

This blog claims that 8+ Gen 1 is dual-sourced on N4 and 4LPX:

(which is also weird)

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021

That's absurd. If they are dual-sourced, that doesn't explain how the Sd 8(+) gen1 has better efficiency and performance than the Sd 8 gen1.

If it is dual sourced, their would certainly be a performance disparity between the Samsung manufactured one and TSMC manufactured one, and so far the reviewers have found none.

FWIW, Qualcomm themselves stated that the SD 8+ G1 is made on TSMC node. The entire value proposition of the Sd 8+ g1 is the fact that it is made on the TSMC node, which is what almost every other media outlet has been reporting.

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021

Wikipedia is the last website I would trust for minute details like this. Every other site i have seen so far has stated that SD 8g1 is made on Samsung 4LPX, whereas Exynos 2200 is made on 4LPE.

Indeed this can be logically explained by the fact that 4LPX is a more performance-oriented node while 4LPE is a more efficient node. In benchmarks the SD 8g1 surpasses the Exynos 2200 in performance, which can be explained by the node difference.

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021

That's absurd. If they are dual-sourced, that doesn't explain how the Sd 8(+) gen1 has better efficiency and performance than the Sd 8 gen1.

If it is dual sourced, their would certainly be a performance disparity between the Samsung manufactured one and TSMC manufactured one, and so far the reviewers have found none.

FWIW, Qualcomm themselves stated that the SD 8+ G1 is made on TSMC node. The entire value proposition of the Sd 8+ g1 is the fact that it is made on the TSMC node, which is what almost every other media outlet has been reporting.

Edit: And, ironically the said wikipedia article you quoted itself says that the SD 8+ g1 is made on TSMC N4, and there is no mention of dual sourcing. >_<

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Edit: And, ironically the said wikipedia article you quoted itself says that the SD 8+ g1 is made on TSMC N4, and there is no mention of dual sourcing. >_<

Two different sources saying two different things.

I think it can honestly be said that there is very little agreement on where, or if, 4LPX was used in Qualcomm's products.

It is most likely that the 8 Gen 1 is 4LPE since generally Samsung uses the LPE nodes for mobile products. It's possible that they have some 8+ Gen 1 chips on 4LPX sold in particular markets, which might explain why predominantly English-speaking reviewers didn't get their hands on any phones using those chips. That's assuming dual-sourcing happened at all.

Here is another source claiming that the 8 Gen 1 is 4LPE:

Last edited:

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021

This article explains the difference between 4LPX and 4LPE. Essentially, 4LPX is a rebranded 5LPP node. On the other hand, 4LPE is a new ground up node.

This image comes from Samsung themselves and shows the positioning of their various nodes. Incidentally, it fits with what the article I quoted says, in that Samsung 4nm is a new ground up node and Samsung 5nm family sits under the 7LPP family.

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
I don't know about this specifically but QCOM switched to TSMC after some issues on SD8G1 and produced SD8G1+ with some decent improvements and will be using TSMC moving forward for SD8G2 due to the better performance on their fabs vs SS. The overheating issues with G1 went away with G1+ on TSMC.

If you want to see more specs figure out the model number of the SD7G1 and then plug it into news.google.com and tons of reviews and insights should come up and answer your question.
Overheating issues didnt go away, its just Oem figure out how to throttle these soc. Without throttling sd 8+ Gen 1 phones overheat to the point its uncomfortable to touch.

Lodix

Jun 24, 2016
Overheating issues didnt go away, its just Oem figure out how to throttle these soc. Without throttling sd 8+ Gen 1 phones overheat to the point its uncomfortable to touch.
That would happen to any processor inside anything without dissipation.

The SD8+1 is indeed noticeably more efficient.