Question Which M.2 NVMe should I go for?

Astrogene

Dec 7, 2020
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new here.

So I'm currently building my new system and having mixed feelings on choosing which M.2 NVME SSDs should I grab 2*500 GB pieces of the following;
  1. Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
  2. Crucial P5
Noteworthy that here in my country (
🇵🇭
), they are both priced right around $70 while the Samsung ones are overly priced lol (Yah I'm literally on sort-of tight budget at this point). I wonder which one is "better" or should I say, will be able to keep up in longer periods and performance. Are there any caveats to those selections?

I may have missed out a lot of stuff but looking to your thoughts on this one.

Purpose: Gaming in Win10, 1D or 2D simulation/compute on Linux Sys, light to moderate productivity.

Current PC Parts:

1. R5 5600x
  2. RTX 3060ti (or 3070 if ever)
  3. Asus TUF B550M Plus WIFI
  4. Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W Titanium**
  5. Crucial Ballistix RGB 2*8 3600mhz C16

Last edited:

Astrogene

Dec 7, 2020
OP I assume you want to raid these two drives, is it necessary for your workload?
As of now nope, I'm not planning to raid it. I'm needing these two drives for dual booting purposes. 1 is running a WinOS and the other is a Linux one. Then later once my data analytics (in astrophysics lul) are done, I can just 'delete' (not really delete but I forgot the better term) and just go RAID it instead lol.

Feb 4, 2009
As of now nope, I'm not planning to raid it. I'm needing these two drives for dual booting purposes. 1 is running a WinOS and the other is a Linux one. Then later once my data analytics (in astrophysics lul) are done, I can just 'delete' (not really delete but I forgot the better term) and just go RAID it instead lol.

ah okay

this thread is may be helpful. I found the reddit link with the google docs page helpful.

Reactions: Astrogene

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new here.

So I'm currently building my new system and having mixed feelings on choosing which M.2 NVME SSDs should I grab 2*500 GB pieces of the following;
  1. Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
  2. Crucial P5
Noteworthy that here in my country (
🇵🇭
), they are both priced right around $70 while the Samsung ones are overly priced lol (Yah I'm literally on sort-of tight budget at this point). I wonder which one is "better" or should I say, will be able to keep up in longer periods and performance. Are there any caveats to those selections?

I may have missed out a lot of stuff but looking to your thoughts on this one.

Purpose: Gaming in Win10, 1D or 2D simulation/compute on Linux Sys, light to moderate productivity.

Current PC Parts:

1. R5 5600x
  2. RTX 3060ti (or 3070 if ever)
  3. Asus TUF B550M Plus WIFI
  4. Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W Titanium**
  5. Crucial Ballistix RGB 2*8 3600mhz C16

Heya,

The XPG Pro series will be faster, if you care about that. Both are good drives. It's splitting hairs in many ways, but ultimately the XPG Pro has the edge on speed. But if it's significantly more costly, the P5 is a good drive too. Get what's affordable. You can't go wrong with either.

Very best,

Reactions: Astrogene

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
The Ryzen 5000 delivers 24 lanes at PCIe 4.0 so why use a old PCIe 3.0 PCIe' lane M.2 NVME .
The SX8200 Pro is good but the pci_e 4.0 is almost double that speed.

Feb 4, 2009
The Ryzen 5000 delivers 24 lanes at PCIe 4.0 so why use a old PCIe 3.0 PCIe' lane M.2 NVME .
The SX8200 Pro is good but the pci_e 4.0 is almost double that speed.

At 1.8x the cost.....
Crap unless it is very specific work loads I doubt anyone could perceive a difference between a 2k & 3k nvme