Which is your favorite World War II game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Boobs McGee
Originally posted by: Treyshadow
BF1942 - Just for the size of the battle

Medal Of Honor: Airborne - The battle engagements just barely were better than COD2

COD2 - Great single player with a mulit to boot

I didn't really like Company of Heroes. It was an RTS that does give you the pace of a battle scene from an FPS. If I wanted to go from the top, I would just play commander in BF1942.

BF1942 didn't have a commander. That came along in BF2.

What makes Company of Heroes so great to me is the amount of detail involved. The way you can direct your armor and the fact that you have to point them certain directions or a shot to the rear kills it. Just one small detail to a great game.

Checkout combat mission if you like detail. They take into account armor penetration values for specific guns and shells and armor slope, thickness, and quality of the metal.
It isnt a rts though. It is a turn based game but very very very well done. It will make you thnk twice about German tank superiority at typical engagement ranges. I have taken out tigers and jagdpanthers from the side\rear at 500 meters and knocked out tigers at 1100 meters with the firefly. Disabled and swamred king tigers with infantry. Great series imo.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
COD:United Offensive. The only good COD in the entire series, especially when you consider the multipler game type Base Assault.

Company of Heroes/OF VERY AWESOME GAME TO THIS DAY

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Since I happened to love Commandos 2: Men of Courage I have re-played the missions many times! I wonder if there's another game like this one out there? :)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Favorite WW2 game of all time: Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
Second favorite: Battlefield 1942.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Sam25
Since I happened to love Commandos 2: Men of Courage I have re-played the missions many times! I wonder if there's another game like this one out there? :)

Soldiers damnit!

There was a commandos 3 as well, i havent played it though because i sucked so much at commandos 2 :(

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Harpoon

Nothing like it has ever been made since.

While it is not exactly WW2 it has some WW2 senarios.

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
Allied Assault along with expansion packs, longest game i have ever played with the most missions. never even got to finish it, 6 yrs later i still have it with the expansion packs, too lazy to play through them.

Rankor

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2000
I started PC gaming with these.

Aces over the Pacific
SWOTL and expansion packs
Aces Over Europe

Some newer games:

MOHAA and expansion packs
CoD + expansion, CoD2
Brothers in Arms 1, 2; didn't try 3

Battle 1942 + free maps (Battle of Britain, Invasion of the Philippines)

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Originally posted by: Sam25

Soldiers damnit!

There was a commandos 3 as well, i havent played it though because i sucked so much at commandos 2 :(

Soldiers: Heroes of WWII looks very good, thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely see if I can get it where I stay. :)