Which Car Would You Get BMW 325i or Audi A4 1.8?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< There will be a twin turbo v6 version available. >>

But it's not available NOW ;) I've been hearing about the V8 Jetta for about 2 years and still have only seen spy photos. Supposed to be an M3 killer...

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
NFS4,

If I had a camera I would get you some photos of the Jetta, as well as the Audi and the AWD turbo diesel beetle.:) I would also try to get a pic of the little old lady who lead foots the TTs.

highme

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
I wouldn't think twice about an Audi A4 wagon. I am a fiend for good snow cars and station wagons. On top of that, I have a great mechanic that only works on VW, Audi, and Porsche, so I want to be able to keep going there (at one point we took our Corrado there to get something worked on, I basically gave them permission to do approx. $1500 in repairs on it, they called me aaying all that I needed was $150 in repairs, very rare in the mechanics trade from my experience) The Corrado is getting a new clutch :| right now actually.

I don't care much for BMW's but that's just my opinion. Does BMW even still make the 325ix? I got to have AWD, and would love it if Subaru would make that little sporty Impreza in a wagon.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Even as a BMW fan, I'd say get the Audi.

The new BMW's are lousy competitor when it comes to bang for the buck.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Cars that come with turbo's stock are a good thing. Upping the horsepower is a no-brainer, get a boost controller and when you've maxed out your stock turbo and you want more power (not sure, but the Audi probably has a T25 sized turbo), you get a bigger turbine.

Bimmer's are sweet (I'm actually thinking about getting an E36 325is or M3 once I get out of school) but when new they are pretty lousy in the price/performance area. Plus you see far less A4's than you do 3 series cars, so you stand out a bit more. :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
A4 hands down. 8-10k cheaper up front. Has lower insurance rates. Had Quattro, and can easily be bumped up another 25-40HP for $300-$500.

ThundercatHO

Oct 15, 2000
I think the BMW looks a lot better although the new A4 is looking ok too......but i like the BMWs better

Oct 9, 1999
I agree with bUnMaNGo

some BMW places have no respect. I remember we went shopping for my BMW and the first place we hit is Pacific BMW in Glendale (S. CA), we liked the car and they priced it right, but we drove all around LA and Orange and Santa Clarita Counties to different dealerships and got different treatments. The one in Santa Clarita had a better deal but their salesperson was out right rude... why might have that been said, we were in a tiny toyota tercel wearing rather old T's and ripped up shorts and going shopping for a BMW. Infact we got better service in Beverly Hills BMW, but they didnt have what we wanted. Well we finally got the BMW from Pacific BMW. THeir service has been very very good. The only thing I got to complain about is that it takes a day for the car to come back, and can get quite expensive.

Minh716

Apr 23, 2000
OK, thanks for your responses.. I decided on getting the A4.. Anybody recommend a dealership around the LA county?

Viper22

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Take a look at the VW Passat also....Its built off of the Audi A4 Platform but it has more room in the back as well as a few other changes. I just bought a 2001 VW Passat GLX and im loving it so far...Best car ive had in my life be seeing that im only 21 and this is my 2nd car that might change in the future :)

Viper22

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Congrats on the choice. I just signed the papers for my A4 yesterday and should be ready to pick up this afternoon. Lemme know how it goes. Also, check www.audiworld.com for a great Audi community.

2001 A4 1.8T Quattro
Light Metallic Silver
5 speed manual
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Bose Audio System