Question Which AMD CPU/GPU or CPU mated with a RX580/RX570/8GB/4GB will work best in B550 or B450 M/B? I also have some Intel questions too.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
As title states, which AMD CPU/GPU will work in a B550 M/B? This machine will be used strictly as a HTPC running Netflix, YoutubeTv, Discovery+ & Amazon Prime (I think that is all my wife has us set up for...)

For gaming I have a X570 MB / RYZEN 5 3600 (I thought this was a 2nd gen chip but Newegg lists it as a 3rd gen? Is that correct? / 16GB RAM / WD BLACK 500GB SN850 NVMe GEN4 PCI-E / RX 580 8GB GPU / SEASONIC 750W 80+ GOLD PSU which I know is overkill but a SEASONIC 550W 80+ Gold will be going in the HTPC. Both machines will have 16GB of PC3000 (or possibly faster, but I have 2 sets of 16GB PC3000 DDR4 RAM sitting here already - would I gain much by going faster or more RAM in the gaming rig and give it 32GB -insert speed here- DDR4 RAM in them, but I think the machines should be fine with 16GB each as the gaming rig will be running a 1920x1200 via DVI connection and the HTPC will be running a 1929x1080 display via HDMI (that had been acting up lately, so that may be moved to a 4K display, after all is built, and if the HTPC display is still acting up, a 4K will be swapped out for the now known to be defunct 1080p display.

As far as the HTPC goes, if a CPU/GPU all-in-one chip is not the best route, I do have a RX570 4GB GPU - you guys and girls direct me to the best outcome that will last me the longest, and I know the HTPC will last a decent amount longer than the GAMING RIG. The HTPC will also act as the Home Server running a WD BLACK 500GB SN750 NVMe GEN3 PCI-E & A PAIR OF RAID 1 SPINNERS, encrypted at my place and then upload to AWS where they will get encrypted again and possibly to a third place which I have not figured out yet whether it be a Safety Deposit Box or another Cloud Based setup (important data).

I have taken about a 7 year hiatus from gaming (the last game I played was Battlefield 4 on a used i5 2500k / NVIDIA 560 TI).

I see CPU prices climbing quickly so I would like to pick one up for the HTPC ASAP.

***** NEW INFO 05/10
Regarding Intel, looking at a 10400/F mated with a B460 based M/B (need to verify the M/B I have inind will be OK a PCI-E 3, 4x (I think that would be the correct syntax 🤔, anyway the main drive will be a WD SN750 NVMe, then 2x 5400GB spinners in RAID 1) and if the built in GPU will work with a single display upto UHD 4k, or will I need to use a RADEON RX570 4GB?

Is there a better Intel setup that would be more cost effective than what I am looking at? The HTPC will not see any gaming, just upto ripped/non-compressed (I own the originals) 4k, UHD Blu-Rays and streaming services, so max 4k video & HD Audio.
***** END NEW INFO 05/19

Appreciate the time and knowledge,
Bob

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
How much gaming and what screen res. on the HTPC? If you don't want GPU fan noise, a 3200G/3400G APU would have been a good choice, but they are largely incompatible with B550-chipset mobos.

Reactions: bob4432

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
How much gaming and what screen res. on the HTPC? If you don't want GPU fan noise, a 3200G/3400G APU would have been a good choice, but they are largely incompatible with B550-chipset mobos.

The newer APUs are available on eBay and the the like though. A sweet 6C/12T APU would make a great HTPC.

4600G/4650G is what I am talking about.

Sadly seems like importing is the only good way to get them.

Plenty of prebuilt systems from BestBuy, etc. using these chips though so you could get creative.

Found a US Listing ($330 Shipped):

I mean, considering you are getting a CPU and reasonable GPU in one package right now? Seems fine to me.

Or buy a 5600x for your gaming PC, put 3600 and 570 in your HTPC and call it a day. So long as you are outputting a single monitor at 4kp60 or 1080p60 it should be OK for power consumption on idle. If you aren't going to do an APU that's the way I would go for sure. No sense in spending good money on a CPU that's only the same as what you already have IMO.

Last edited:

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
I could go down to a B450 M/B for the HTPC. The HTPC will not see any gaming.

I have one other option I forgot about until now if the stars line up - does the RaspberryPi 4B pass HD audio through HDMI yet. I was going to set that up and try it out some time ago but life got in the way big time. I could sell the rest of my RX570s I used for mining and use that rig (i5 2500k, can't remember chipset, but it has been a good board), and run the i5-2500k as the home Server.

And when you guys are talking about APUs, are you talking about the with "G" after the "speed" like this - https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=AMD+A...nlocked+OC+AM4+Processor+with+Vega+3+Graphics And I don't have any issues picking up a B450 if there are any issues running a B550 board with the chip I listed above or even move the CPU in the line I listed to a higher speed, more votes unit and keep one of the RX570 4GB cards and use it in that role. I would think that the line of CPUS even without the "G" would be just as quick as a i5-2500k and I have a Antec (SEASONIC) 750W 80+ Gold in what use to be the mining rig. Or is the APU line I linked to or even it's higher end brothers slower than a 2012 i5-2500k and not capable of doing 4k?

Run the PI as the HTPC if there are not any DRM issues or figure a way around it (legally as I own my blu-ray and UHD blu-ray) only problem I could see is the streaming service, and we could get rid of some if those if necessary.

I will be moving my landlines to 100% VOIP (I know I already have been moved by the cable company, but their equipment is sh!t, so going to move it all to google voip via the OBI212 or something close to that naming syntax.

Last, my main router is going too, would you recommend a RaspberryPi 4b 4GB using openwrt over a new ac asus unit? I don't see moving to ax until prices come down quite a bit or go with something like this https://www.newegg.com/asus-rt-ax3000/p/N82E16833320424 but I don't have any ax equipment and I have always have had better latency when I build my own cables vs anything wifi, using belkin cat5e plenum cable, next 500' of cable I buy will be cat6a then just wait for 2.5GbE, 5GbE & 10GbE switches to come down in price. Will be moving to a Motorola 8600 (think it is the 8600, whichever one gets you to GbE WAN) modem which will allow me GbE WAN and then whatever on the LAN.

Do my thoughts have any weight?

GREATLY APPRECIATE the suggestion,
Bob

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The 3200G/3400G APUs technically have a more advanced video codec ("VCE") block than an RX 570. As long as you're running dual-channel RAM, that would actually be the preferable solution. But you would have to step down to a B450.

PS. I have 3200G/3400G / B450 mATX / DDR4-3200/3600 combos FS, all BNIB, PM me.

Reactions: Tlh97 and bob4432

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Honestly, it sounds like you should get something like Shield or Roku Ultimate and build a separate storage PC for those requirements. I think there would be way less frustration for you.

This is the direction I have gone. Zero regrets. Apple TV, Roku's, Android TV, all the bits have their own ups and downs but at least exist to do the thing you want them to do.

The 3000G kills support for the NVMe drive which is a real bummer. If you go B450 the 3200G is a great fit. These are speedy CPUs with real video capabilities - they are definitely not slower than a 2500k.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I wanted to get a pre-built 4600G or 4700G system for ~$500 after tax and sell my 2200G setup to cover part of the upgrade.

The problem is, those 4600G or 4700G HP's were last on sale in December.

I did find a refurb 3700X HP with 2 year warranty on eBay; $500 after tax, free shipping. Check the Hot Deals forum for info.

Using some parts laying around, it will be an inexpensive home dvr / media server upgrade after selling the old dvr / media server.

And I do not need to have video out to the tv on the server, it is all network streaming to Roku via Emby.

aaawave.com has 1600AF's for $165, but no free shipping. They have been reported to work with B550.

Last edited:

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Honestly, it sounds like you should get something like Shield or Roku Ultimate and build a separate storage PC for those requirements. I think there would be way less frustration for you.

This is the direction I have gone. Zero regrets. Apple TV, Roku's, Android TV, all the bits have their own ups and downs but at least exist to do the thing you want them to do.

The 3000G kills support for the NVMe drive which is a real bummer. If you go B450 the 3200G is a great fit. These are speedy CPUs with real video capabilities - they are definitely not slower than a 2500k.
I appreciate your suggestiond, but my wife knows how all this works (the parts she needs to know how they work), and if I change the hardware on her, I will not be living a happy life for some time.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
I wanted to get a pre-built 4600G or 4700G system for ~$500 after tax and sell my 2200G setup to cover part of the upgrade.

The problem is, those 4600G or 4700G HP's were last on sale in December.

I did find a refurb 3700X HP with 2 year warranty on eBay; $500 after tax, free shipping. Check the Hot Deals forum for info.

Using some parts laying around, it will be an inexpensive home dvr / media server upgrade after selling the old dvr / media server.

And I do not need to have video out to the tv on the server, it is all network streaming to Roku via Emby.

aaawave.com has 1600AF's for $165, but no free shipping. They have been reported to work with B550.
Appreciate the suggestion, but same answer as the poster before you, no happy wife, no happy life 😟

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003

Responded in thread, thanks for the sharing of knowledge regardless.
Bob

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Appreciate the suggestion, but same answer as the poster before you, no happy wife, no happy life 😟

I understand! I try to keep things simple for the wife also. Would you consider a whole 4300G system for the HTPC? HP (Gold rated PSU) and Lenovo have them on sale for about $460 right now, not sure how that works if you want to add a lot more stuff into the box. HP is also shipping 5300G systems by end of May.

I have used the Raspberry Pi 400 hooked up to a monitor and the sound worked, they should work for protected content, I would consider the 8GB Pi 4 for that.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
If it wasn't for the fact that the price gouging was going on at the moment I may consider it, but due to the CPU/GPU shortages and ridiculous gouging I would honestly just go w/ a B450.

As far as the PSUs, I currently have 2 SEASONIC 80± Gold still in the box, just looking for a small all black case that can handle upto ATX MB & has a optical drive slot and doesn't have any glass or clear sides, and can handle some 120mm fans. Plus, I like building my own and have some other feelers out. At the very least, with the X570, I can go Zen3 should the need arise.

Thanks for the info,
Bob

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
As title states, which AMD CPU/GPU will work in a B550 M/B? This machine will be used strictly as a HTPC running Netflix, YoutubeTv, Discovery+ & Amazon Prime (I think that is all my wife has us set up for...)
As far as the HTPC goes, if a CPU/GPU all-in-one chip is not the best route, I do have a RX570 4GB GPU - you guys and girls direct me to the best outcome that will last me the longest, and I know the HTPC will last a decent amount longer than the GAMING RIG. The HTPC will also act as the Home Server running a WD BLACK 500GB SN750 NVMe GEN3 PCI-E & A PAIR OF RAID 1 SPINNERS, encrypted at my place and then upload to AWS where they will get encrypted again and possibly to a third place which I have not figured out yet whether it be a Safety Deposit Box or another Cloud Based setup (important data).
We get this type of question periodically on the forums, and there's always people recommending some AMD APU that is either hard to find or expensive in the current market situation. The reality is that for a HTPC & file server role the Intel offering is still better suited, with CPUs like the i3 10100 and i5 10400 offering competitive pricing. It would be nice to have good supply of AMD APUs as well, alas this won't be the case for a while longer.

You should also re-evaluate your opinion on @blckgrffn 's advice: separating the server and media roles will solve a lot of problems, including providing a much more pleasant experience for your wife (while also allowing you a transition period in which she can use the old way just as well). Look around the web and see what people are able to achieve with inexpensive media players and a server such as Plex installed on the home server. Just to give you a sense on the flexibility of this solution, my parents' HTPC is offsite... since it's situated in my apartment. More importantly, their last upgrade had the steep price of... $50, since all they needed was a faster Chromecast.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
We get this type of question periodically on the forums, and there's always people recommending some AMD APU that is either hard to find or expensive in the current market situation. The reality is that for a HTPC & file server role the Intel offering is still better suited, with CPUs like the i3 10100 and i5 10400 offering competitive pricing. It would be nice to have good supply of AMD APUs as well, alas this won't be the case for a while longer.

You should also re-evaluate your opinion on @blckgrffn 's advice: separating the server and media roles will solve a lot of problems, including providing a much more pleasant experience for your wife (while also allowing you a transition period in which she can use the old way just as well). Look around the web and see what people are able to achieve with inexpensive media players and a server such as Plex installed on the home server. Just to give you a sense on the flexibility of this solution, my parents' HTPC is offsite... since it's situated in my apartment. More importantly, their last upgrade had the steep price of... $50, since all they needed was a faster Chromecast.

Ha, I feel like a derp, forgot about Intel, as they asked about AM4 B450.

Here is the PC Part Picker list for Intel LGA 1200 chips, 10400 would be the best for a media box with long term life right now.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
As another option, how would the "A12" or "A10" (I think Bristol Ridge family?) for the HTPC (again upto single monitor 4k/30 or 4k/60 (does it make that much of a difference?) with a b450/b550 board work out (I would need to look up board support, I think B450 supports them, not sure about B550).

I am not against Intel and the price looks good, just weighing all my options, and I appreciate you all for taking the time getting me back up to speed.

When I bought the Ryzen 5 3600 in 06/2020, the 3200G & 3400G I thought were quite a bit cheaper than they are today, but maybe my memory is off.

Seems like everything is taking a sh!t at the same time as recently I have been having network hiccups and I shouldn't be as I have a 150/10Mb/s connection and it is just me and my wife, so I am not taxing the network, but first I need to move my landline to a mobile (if cox will allow it as I have had my fax # for I think ~20yrs) and would like to move it to the OBI212 and get a Motorola 8600 or calling cox up and see if they have any capability going beyond GbE which would move me to a mb8611 (unless Motorola modems are sh!t now?). Last time I was on the phone with cox they were surprised I had one of their modem/voip combo unit for 4yrs, I was told by the "tech" they normally swap them out every 2yrs which seemed pretty bad for business from a cost factor unless they are that cheap at the quantity buys them at, because before they swapped my old Motorola unit (which worked perfectly fine, it was the phone issue) for their Cisco unit, the Motorola units lasted A LOT LONGER THAN 2 YRS, I am thinking 5+ and was still going strong. Cisco should be ashamed if their consumer stuff only lasts a couple years.

Maybe I haven't noticed an issue because I haven't gamed in years so latency was a non issue, but with Covid, I am getting network warnings in ZOOM with only 5-8 other people, and I have looked at the speed and it is at max 300 KB/s, it may have only been a max of 300 Kb/s, don't remember what the main router said, but CPU usage on the router was less than 10%, and it is a old ASUS RT-N66U running the Merlin firmware.

Again,
Thanks in advance for all the help. If there are any misspellings, this was written on a phone.

Bob

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
OEM CPUs are intended only for pre-built systems sold by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). They typically do not ship with a stock HSF so the OEM can use their own cooling solution. It used to be that people would buy trays of these CPUs and then resell them through retail channels at a small discount, but that is far less common these days.

Reactions: Tlh97 and bob4432

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
OEM CPUs are intended only for pre-built systems sold by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). They typically do not ship with a stock HSF so the OEM can use their own cooling solution. It used to be that people would buy trays of these CPUs and then resell them through retail channels at a small discount, but that is far less common these days.

Appreciate the explanation. Anything wrong with going that route should I happen to find a very good price on a CPU that would work for me? I have an extra HSF that I am pretty sure would fit, would be the same HSF I will be using on the Ryzen 5 3600 (assuming it fits - going to check that out right now).....

Thanks for the info,
Bob

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Only thing "wrong" with it is that it's gray-market, so you have no expectation of warranty service if the unit proves to be defective. There's no way of knowing if the CPU was pulled straight from a tray that never made it into actual OEM systems (some OEMs carry replacement parts for warranty service and may have extra once a particular market model has gone out of warranty) or if the CPU was pulled from a working machine that died from a cheap PSU going bad or the owner/org just sending it to the recycler for an upgrade.

An OEM R9 3900 (that's an OEM-only SKU) is just a down-binned 3900X, so it fits the AM4 socket and works with any AM4 HSF. Running bone stock, it won't clock that high or use all that much power, so an HSF that works for a 3600 ought to be okay. Not sure if all AM4 boards will support an OEM-only unit like that, but if you look around you can probably get answers.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
One thing you could do, since you already have the gaming rig with X570 and 3600, would be to upgrade that and move the 3600 over. 5800X CPUs are pretty readily available now, both new at MSRP and at discount used. A 5800X would be a great upgrade for gaming.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
If you are looking at the 10400, why not take a look at the 11400 instead? It's actually pretty cheap, and they're widely available.

The 10400 was mentioned earlier in the thread, I do not know the Intel stuff at all. The 11400 is now on my radar, it is just that I have been out of the loop for so long, I don't even know what I don't know, and I still need to learn/mess with the RaspberryPi stuff, which I have not had the time yet to get to it. So much stuff to do, do little time. I think I should mess with the RaspberrryPi 4b+ 8GB (I had read that the 8GB units are not much better than the 4GB units as the image that you install on it only supports a MAX of 4GB 😟 - can anybody verify this?) being out of the loop for SOOOOO long, it seems like the only logical choice, and I would like to pick up a HAT (correct verbage?) so I can run at least a SATA 6Gb/s (and just so I have this correct, SSD connected via REAL SATA cable, then connect to network GbE via USB 3.x ( do not remember what that USB 3 port was up to, for some reason 2.5Gb/s is sticking in my mind, can anybody verify this?)).

Just so know, I think I have been out of the scene since ~2012 give or take a couple years in either direction (personally would error on the older guestimate and have never been a social media person like FB, so we are pushing being out of the computer scene since about 2012, so the questions you may ask, "WTF, Had this guy been living under a rock for the last decade?", the answer is sadly "Yes", so what you think may be a crazy "everybody should know this answer", to me they are legitimate questions and I am not just asking to waste anybody's time and I appreciate you taking the time getting me up to speed.

Again, thanks for taking the time answering the questions I ask, they are legitimate.

Bob 👍