Where's your green card?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
so is it that people that reside in the US territories cannot vote or those that are born there? Can they vote if they move to a state?

All residents in territories can't vote. If they move to a state they have the full rights of citizens.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Wow dude, thats like 5 of the 7 logical fallacies you committed right there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can't tell sarcasm when you see it, I must have failed when I didn't commit 7 out of seven logical fallacies.

But still when it comes to Puerto Ricans, there have been ongoing efforts to apply for US statehood for many decades, but still defeated because they don't want to pay US taxes.

But still there have been ongoing mass migrations to the USA, and in a resulting clash of cultures, is somewhat documented in West Sides story. Or we could talk about a mass exodus of Hispanics from Cuba, many of them little more than ex Bapista thugs, after Castro took over, that still ensures we don't have a rational US Cuba foreign policy and instead we have a South Florida Cuba policy..

Why can't we separate sports from politics's? At least sports has rationally agreed rules, that define winning and losing, and frowns on cheating.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You misunderstand. Because they are US territories, currently, they don't need a green card to visit. THAT is what should be changed.
Why should one American need a green card to travel to another part of America. That makes no sense. You either are an American or you aren't. No second class citizens - we kinda fought a war over that.

D.C. isn't a state. Should THEY have to have a green card? (I'm specifically excluding the Congresscritters here; some of them I agree are utterly foreign.)

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Guam, no one born in these places (along with a few other minor Pacific Islands) need a green card because anyone born in those locations are automatic US citizens.

These people are stupid.

I wouldn't say they're really citizens because they don't pay federal taxes but don't get to vote either. Not that your vote matters for shit in the current political climate, so I think they have a good deal.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I wouldn't say they're really citizens because they don't pay federal taxes but don't get to vote either. Not that your vote matters for shit in the current political climate, so I think they have a good deal.

Well, they kind of do, and they kind of don't.

They pay all federal taxes (e.g., SS) except personal income tax.

However the tax law in PR is based on the US tax code of 1939. And, of course, it has been modified/updated over the years.

http://www.parissicpa.com/images/parissidoingbusiness222.pdf

PR contributes several billion $'s to the US Treas.

Fern

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
Agreed, but Puerto Ricans SHOULD have to have a green card...until PR becomes a state. Yes, the same applies to residents from other US territories that are not states. (Guam, American Samoa, USVI, etc.)
Why, what do you base your opinion on, what purpose would it serve?

StarTech

Dec 22, 1999
One word... jobs. Think of how many jobs would be created... all those flags will need another star sewn on. There has to be millions of flags in the U.S.... hell all those patches on military uniforms, police uniforms, etc. hundreds of thousands of jobs!

In China

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The ignorance of youth can be such a cruel thing. Led by example, our youth are a direct reflection of ourselves. In this particular case, the part of the mature "self" that employs the learned habit of discretion is lacking in many of our youth. Resultingly, what is taught in private attitude-wise is then expressed publicly without due consideration. Voila! The "green card incident".

In this regard, the elders who impressed upon those kids the attitude and mindset that motivated them to yell out such inappropriate language are so much more responsible for that incident than the students are.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Why, in this "modern age," does the USA need "non-state" territories? What do we, as a nation, gain from this relationship?
(besides Samoans to play football)

It's past time to end the territorial status of these island nations and let them be free to govern themselves.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Why, in this "modern age," does the USA need "non-state" territories? What do we, as a nation, gain from this relationship?

It's past time to end the territorial status of these island nations and let them be free to govern themselves.

We can not make them become independent nations and we can not abandon them because we have a responsibility to them. Their people seem to believe they're better off as a U.S. territory than as a State or independent nation.

In short, they hold a U.S. IOU and don't wish to redeem it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
IMHO the US should have taken on more territories.

ITT, I don't think most understand our territories though.

Jan 25, 2011
can someone born in puerto rico become president?

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30527.pdf

2 Citizens born in Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands are legally defined as “natural born” citizens, and are, therefore, also eligible to be elected President, provided they meet qualifications of age and 14 years residence within the United States. Residence in Puerto Rico and U.S. territories and possessions does not qualify as residence within the United States for these purposes. [U.S. Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service, U.S. Insular Areas and Their Political Development, by Andorra Bruno and Garrine P. Laney, CRS Report 96-578GOV (Washington: Jun. 17, 1996), pp. 9, 21, 33].

Jan 25, 2011
thanks for posting this.

However, I think it's going to cause a lot of rage. If I posted this they'd tell me I was lying.

Well, conveniently for me I naturally ignore the thoughts of any person who comes to rage when presented with facts. Win win really.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

Cool. So we invade them and then after a century or so just tell them to go away and who cares that you rely on US funding to survive.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Cool. So we invade them and then after a century or so just tell them to go away and who cares that you rely on US funding to survive.

Yes...that sounds perfectly reasonable to me...Why should they be dependent on US funding in the first place? Why not support themselves like the other islands in the world manage to do?