Where will Irma make landfall? Please post your predictions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Where will Irma make landfall?

• Texas to punish the heathen republicans

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Along the east coast to punish heathen democrats

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Whereever Pat Robertson declares it to go

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • A costal area somewhere with people on it

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Along the gulf coast because gas prices are too cheap right now

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • My magic 8 ball is still cloudy on this one

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Jul 9, 2009
DI1IrXnW4AAVEuO.jpg

EaGyzkG.png

Iz0EJDr.png

w2CnMMw.png

hohohohoho

yx8jztA.gif
You're a jerk.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I'd expect Irma to significantly strengthen based on the water temps it's predicted to go through.

ohc_aQG3_2017_247_0600.irma_.int_.jpg

Figure 2. Total ocean heat content (OHC) along the track of Hurricane Irma, at 2 am EDT Monday, September 4, 2017. Irma is expected to encounter OHC levels of 80 – 100 kilojoules per square centimeter as it passes the Lesser Antilles islands. OHC levels this high are known to be very favorable for rapid intensification, and are similar to what fueled Hurricane Harvey’s rapid intensification over the Gulf of Mexico during its approach to the Texas coast (Figure 3). Image credit: University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

With high ocean heat content Hurricanes can strengthen even if they bring deep water to the surface. Normally this water is colder and would sap energy from the hurricane as it approaches shallow water but water in the gulf and Caribbean is warm very far down so there is no cooler water.

(For the next section please choose the Repub option if you are a snowflake about climate facts)

Now we've been measuring increasing OHC for forty years as a result of
lying money grubbing tree hugging "scientists"
MMGW

So if there's one thing we know it's
that it's impossible to know anything at all about the climate except that it changes and it's not caused by Fossil Fuels because Al Gore.
that while we shouldn't expect more storms due to climate change, we should however expect them to be more powerful due to the increased amount of energy available to drive them.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Loads of people keep forgetting about Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands (my hometown) being in the path. At least have some sympathy for them.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Is it too much to ask for a direct bulls eye for Mar-a-Lago?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I predict it will strike a majority Christian area.
I'd have to say that such an area doesn't actually exist. Now there are tons of religious people who will never be actual Christians and everyone can see them by their attributes or as the bible says you will know them by their fruits which are rotten and then some.

OWR88

Oct 27, 2013
Is it too much to ask for a direct bulls eye for Mar-a-Lago?
If it hits Mar A Lago I am willing to provide a trillion dollars relief for southeast Texas, with one condition: Mar A Lago gets zero Federal funding in the future.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
What's the rumor, are people staying or going? I know you're up north, but it looks like it might drive right up the coast.
Too early to tell right now. In preparation I'm servicing the generator, gotta replace the carburetor tomorrow and get fuel. Already have lots of nonperishable foot and bottled water. I'm not in a flood plain so if it rains I'll sit tight and stay alert.

OWR88

Oct 27, 2013
Chances are if you are higher ground you don't have to worry about flooding. Assuming you have good drainage. But hurricane is a hurricane, they have multiple ways of destruction.

If you voted Trump you will be suffering, if you didn't God may spare your some headache.

Reactions: JSt0rm

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Too early to tell right now. In preparation I'm servicing the generator, gotta replace the carburetor tomorrow and get fuel. Already have lots of nonperishable foot and bottled water. I'm not in a flood plain so if it rains I'll sit tight and stay alert.

Did the same thing before Harvey. :D Had to take the carburetor apart.

Ordered a new one from Amazon. Strangely it hasn't shown up yet. Hmm... ;)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
just so people know the strongest recorded landfall was 892. This is looking like 890.

andrews was 922. ya'll fucked

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Did the same thing before Harvey. :D Had to take the carburetor apart.

Ordered a new one from Amazon. Strangely it hasn't shown up yet. Hmm... ;)
I got a new starter solenoid from amazon today and after installing it that's when I discovered that the carb had gone south too.:eek: Going to see if I can find a carb locally tomorrow so I can get her back up and running before I need it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I got a new starter solenoid from amazon today and after installing it that's when I discovered that the carb had gone south too.:eek: Going to see if I can find a carb locally tomorrow so I can get her back up and running before I need it.

make sure you got water and shit. Not just for drinking but cleaning as well.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I predict Irma will strike my bowels!

Watch out! It could get a little explosive. :)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
make sure you got water and shit. Not just for drinking but cleaning as well.
Absolutely! I've got plenty of water for drinking and will have it for other things beforehand. Lots of MRE"s and canned food already stocked up, candles, flashlights and batteries and if it looks really bad we'll just evacuate inland. I live on the far west side of Duval County which is generally pretty tame during big storms. Last year we didn't even lose power but the folks on the beach got hammered. I'm hopeful to be sipping fresh coffee and watching it on my pc or maybe I'll go outside.

Most definitely will have my action camera setup to record the entire thing. I also captured an EF0 tornado last summer on the house security cameras that lifted over the house snapping a tree top off in the back yard. When it came back down it was an EF1 landing on I-10 damaging cars.

During Ivan in Pensacola I tried to lay down to get some rest and no sooner than my head hit the pillow the wind really picked up and I heard something heavy land on my roof. The next day when the storm had subsided enough to go outside I discovered that a tornado have come down across the street. Following the damage path it led to the missing treetop in my neighbors yard which was the item I heard slam onto my roof. Another of his trees was laid down across my fence and the neighbor behind me had a very large oak leaned over onto his house. On the opposite corner from him the twister had stripped all of the leaves and bark off his oak tree as it lifted sparing his house.

I've had close calls with tornadoes all of my life starting at 5 years old when one landed next door to us. A few years later one landed in the back yard felling a tree next to the house without damaging it. I heard the roar just as the tv was broadcasting the warning but it was the same time that the Navy patrols usually flew by so I didn't think anything of it. They always get really close but never touch me. So far that makes two that have been less than 50ft from me without harming me. I wasn't home when the one skirted the house last year so I don't count it.

Perhaps the scariest encounter occurred on US 54 south of Wichita, KS around midnight one summer night when my late wife and I got caught in the bears cage. The rain was so heavy that we couldn't see where we were going and had to pull over on the shoulder. The vertical rain and high winds along with the tornado warning on the radio set the scene for us but fortunately we never saw the funnel and it cleared just as quickly as it started. Sorry for the wall of text.:D