Where were you 8 years ago today?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
A lot of remembrance for the victims of the terrorist attacks that killed so many here in the U.S. eight years ago. Do you remember where you were/what you were doing on this day eight years ago?

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
absolutely..... i was in the office getting ready to go out and do some field inspections. there were reports on the radio about some small passenger plane hitting a building in NYC. i didn't think anything of it. i left the office and did my field work..... i came back @ around 2pm and our whole building was evacuated (it basically sits right on the tunnel to the US here in Windsor, Ontario...)

there was one person left on site, a manager... she told me to pack up and go home because the tunnel was a potential terrorist target. then i went home and watched news all night with my (then) girlfriend (later became my wife, then my ex).

truly a day that will live in infamy.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Sleeping. My wifes brother called to wake us up about the first plane and a few seconds after I turned on the TV the second plane hit. It was about then that I and everyone else knew the first plane wasn't an accident.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Physics class in my junior year in High School. I remember being alerted and watching the towers fall on TV with a bunch of my classmates. Also was the day when I was supposed to get my driver's license. I'm still bitter the RMV was closed that afternoon...

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I was at work, patient in the chair. We have television in the office and were watching. At first we thought, when the first plane hit, that is was some miscalculation, mechanical error, or something that made it hit the tower. Then when the second plane hit we knew we were in deep shit.

I feel like I have a bond with that patient, because we shared the breaking of this historic event together.

ReggieDunlap

Aug 25, 2009
I was on a cruise in Italy. We were in what they call a "muster drill" - safety drill. One of the crew asked us as we were walking in "Did you hear? They bombed the WTC" 45 minutes we had to wait. hearing snippets etc about what was going on....we got back to our cabin about 320pm (roughly 920am) turned on BBC and then watched them both come down....

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
High school.

I quickly scrounged up a TV and some bunny ears and we had about 40 people with their eyes glued to the tube and we watched the second tower go down.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Finishing my senior year at college. After the first plane hit, I watched the second one hit on one of the campus TVs. I recall saying something like "Well, the towers didn't fall on impact, they shouldn't fall now". Then I watched the first tower collapse...

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
Camp Pendleton. I was on my way to a training class for Cummins 525 engines when I heard the news..

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Was getting ready for work when my GF called me up to tell me to turn on the news. Work ended up closing since we were in a Federal building.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just woke up in my college dorm, turned on the TV and saw what was happening. I pulled my roommate out of bed and we stood there in shock watching what happened.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Holy Crap. I just realized I've been telling everyone that I moved to California in April 2001, but it couldn't have been because I was still living in Michigan on 9/11/2001. DOH! Must have been April 2002. :confused:

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
I was getting ready for a technical writing class and had the TV on - saw what happened and woke up my roommates.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
At work working a WAN issue when the news broke.

rose.gif

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
I was sick from school and staying in my house. my mom like " a plane hit the world trade center" and i didnt really understand. Then, when the second hit, i knew something was wrong but couldnt comprehend the complete picture. Later on i learned how bad it really was.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I was home sick and watching TV. Got bored of TNT and decided to start flipping channels when I came across coverage of the first tower. I thought it was something historical I'd never heard of before, then the 2nd plane hit. I quickly realized it was all live and then proceeded to watch it for most of the day. Saw the towers come down as well.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
My very first day of Recruit Training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: bobross419
Camp Pendleton. I was on my way to a training class for Cummins 525 engines when I heard the news..

:thumbsup: I was stationed at Camp Lejeune at the time. We had just finished a long exercise and were at the boathouse cleaning Zodiac boats and engines.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I was driving to work when the first news reports started coming in about "A plane has crashed into one of the Towers," then, while sitting in the parking lot, waiting for the bus to transport us to the site, the 2nd plane hit.

After that, news reports were pretty sporadic during the day as to what was happening. (no radios or tv's on the construction site)

After working 12 hours, I was shocked to hear what had transpired during the day. I was very surprised at the low casualty count though. I had expected the numbers to be MUCH higher.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
I was on the way to work and listening to them talk about the first hit on the radio. I had just gotten off the interstate by my work when the second plane hit. Needless to say, productivity that day was non-existent, as we spent the rest of the day listening to radio/watching TV/browsing internet for more information.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: DEMO24
I was home sick and watching TV. Got bored of TNT and decided to start flipping channels when I came across coverage of the first tower. I thought it was something historical I'd never heard of before, then the 2nd plane hit. I quickly realized it was all live and then proceeded to watch it for most of the day. Saw the towers come down as well.

I too thought it was some weird dramatization of some thing. I just couldn't believe it. I remember the ash, smoke plumes, people walking over the bridges told to evacuate, and of course, the people who chose to jump rather than burn. That made my heart split in two.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
just waking up, dad walks into my room and turns on the tv... I watch 2 towers smoking, go shower, come back and see the 1st tower fall.

Dec 26, 2007
I was in HS. Heard about something happening in NYC with the towers in the hallway between class. Got into history class, and the teacher turned on the news. We watched as the second plane hit. Was in Mythology class watching as the towers fell. I remember 8 years ago very well.

It was also this girl's birthday that I was friends with in HS.