Where were you 8 years ago today?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Break room at work watching TV. News flashed that a plane hit the WTC. Can't remember if I saw the second plane hit the other tower on TV. Informed my manager what happened. Was told by corporate a few minutes later to close the place and leave, this was in Chicago BTW. The Twin Towers already collapsed by the time I left work. Continued to watch all the news in CNN the whole day.

Razgriz

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2006
I was in 6th grade, early afternoon class was the first I heard anything. The principal announced an emergency meeting after school for the teachers and I didn't think much of it. During the class, one of the teachers mentioned attacks in PA, and VA. Didn't think it was anything serious, classes continued as usual, I had no idea what was going on until I got home and watched news the rest of the day. The next day, everyone was somber and subdued.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Was in class, on base (I'm civil service, USAF). We were about to start another training evolution, when a truck came driving up and told us to secure what we were doing, and get inside, the base was going to Force Protection Condition DELTA (total lock-down).

Once we were back inside, we all pretty much congregated around the 2 or 3 tv sets (normally used to show training videos) in the schoolhouse, and watched the news. I got there just in time to see the 2nd jet hit the Trade Center towers. Pretty much knew that things were going to be way different from then on.

We were released for the day once the base security relaxed back down to FPCON CHARLIE, and started allowing traffic on and off the base again, but it took nearly 45 minutes to get out the gate. Next morning, I headed in earlier than normal, and it still took an hour to get on base.

Which wasn't bad. My sister and brother in law, who both worked on another base, had to wait in line 3 hours to get on base the following day!! :shocked:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
I was at work, patient in the chair. We have television in the office and were watching. At first we thought, when the first plane hit, that is was some miscalculation, mechanical error, or something that made it hit the tower. Then when the second plane hit we knew we were in deep shit.

I feel like I have a bond with that patient, because we shared the breaking of this historic event together.

I'd say I'd have a historic event if the person cleaning my teeth was watching TV.

just saying is all

I was at an internet shop jamming to music and building sites when the owner of the business came down the hall telling us to pull up news.

I was like HOLY SHIT...like thinking Red Dawn, but not the one that sneaks up behind you in the night and breathes warmly on your ear.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
In my third grade classroom, teachers were all huddled around TV, told us to go to recess. Didn't find out what the hell was going on until I got home from school.

It seems weird, back then I was only 9 years old... Thinking back I'm not sure I understood the gravity of the situation at the time.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I was on the roof with my ex watching people die less than a mile away. I was also smelling the smell of burnt buildings and dead people. Why?

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I was in the 4th grade, and was home sick. I was furious because I didn't understand what was happening, and that's all that was on television.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I just got done watching the History Channel show "102 Minutes that Changed America," about...the first 102 minutes of the World Trade Towers and all the events that took place during that time. Lots of footage I'd never seen before, taken by roving journalists, people with camcorders, etc.
Brought back some of the shock of the event, some of the dismay, and some of the hatred that I felt when it happened.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Turning left into the school parking lot...well not me, my dad was and I was being dropped off. Went to first period AP chem with Mr. Smith and we didn't have class. I remember he said something "This is what happens when people hate our freedom". I was so shocked by the moment of what happened, and I didn't realize what a dumbassitor comment it was (Although I suppose to say anything at that point would have come across reallllly bad, and it would be even worse considering my background).

As the class ended I got pulled to the principals office. Zomg wtf? My mother's friend pulled out me, my brother, and my friend for the day. She was afraid of some one trying to take revenge by beating up Arabs who, at that point, simply identified as Muslims as opposed to really caring about religion lol. Went home and just watched TV and thought, "Holy shit...things are going to be different for a while...". I remember some cheer leaders thought I was part of it because I wasn't in a class later that day. What an idiot lol.

But thankfully things are about back to normal now. If the event affected me in any way, its that it got me to challange my views on religion more. And had I not eventually learned more, I would probably simply be a nominal Muslim. However, to this day I think that Bin Laden really did a fucking stupid action in the name of many valid causes.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I just got done watching the History Channel show "102 Minutes that Changed America," about...the first 102 minutes of the World Trade Towers and all the events that took place during that time. Lots of footage I'd never seen before, taken by roving journalists, people with camcorders, etc.
Brought back some of the shock of the event, some of the dismay, and some of the hatred that I felt when it happened.

I hope the hatred is felt towards those individuals who committed those actions as opposed to any general group of people.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: magomago

I hope the hatred is felt towards those individuals who committed those actions as opposed to any general group of people.

Not really...but I know that's the irrational part of the hatred. I keep it under control and try to remain rational...sometimes I win...sometimes I lose.

One thing that fuels the irrational side is when I remember Muslims dancing in the street, cheering after the 9-11 attacks...

Shadow Conception

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2006
I was in school, 2nd grade. I remember we were EXTRA loud in the cafeteria that day, and we were pissing off the lunch ladies like crazy. This was before we knew. Then, I remember the principal came on the PA and instructed all teachers not to turn on the television sets.

I thought it was a punishment for us being so loud during lunch. Then what happened is a little later, I got picked up by my mom, directly from school. She took me back with her to the school SHE taught at, and I basically ate lunch there and stayed with her.

So I found out that the WTC towers had planes flown into them, and I didn't really get it. I thought stuff like that happened all the time, so I just sorta waved it off. Movies, huh? Then I heard about the Pentagon crash, and I was like OH SHIT 'cause my dad worked in DC back then. I remember none of the landline phones worked when I tried calling my dad in DC, so I was scared as hell.

I probably did not comprehend the severity of the incident until a couple years afterward. You really don't see terrorist attacks on the United States, less than 5 miles away, that often.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: magomago

Not really...but I know that's the irrational part of the hatred. I keep it under control and try to remain rational...sometimes I win...sometimes I lose.

One thing that fuels the irrational side is when I remember Muslims dancing in the street, cheering after the 9-11 attacks...

Which ones? You know some of that footage wasn't even real and of different periods of time. Lies and Bullshit FTW.

Of course I'm sure that some probably did. But if you remember, all of Iran (the current evil baddies!) held candle light vigils for us.

Anyways so as long as we learn that is all I care about ~ and lets hope something like that never happens again. We've been lucky in the USA to generally be spared of war-type destruction (unlike many other places in the world)

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Shadow Conception
I was in school, 2nd grade.

WTF? Holy Children posting on ATOT!

Although your mind must be so filthy at this stage that you can't be said to be a kid anymore :evil:

edit:

yes ,I know it means you are in 9-10th grade now...but you've been a part of ATOT while atleast in middle school

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
In class, our teacher was retired from the army, told us the pentagon was on fire. Didn't really know what was going until later in the day...

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
I was in third grade and they told me that the WTC and Pentagon where bombed. They had us draw pictures to remember it, I still have mine somewhere. Maybe I will post it one day.

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Freshman year of High School -- we were in World Civ. (Combination World History + English, large open class). Teacher turned on the TV after the first tower had been struck. Watched live as second plane struck, towers fell, and plane went into Pentagon. It was insane. Old enough to understand the gravity of the situation, young enough to be hotheaded about it, and close enough to D.C. to be worried (many kid's parents worked at the Pentagon and all the lines were down).

Edit: The video from the NYU dorms ( http://www.history.com/content...02-minutes#/nyu-dorms/ ) was chilling. I like how the girl had the sense of mind to grab some panties before they evacuated though.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
9/11 was a Tuesday. I was in my first year of Grad School at Notre Dame. I woke up and got onto my computer to check my e-mail and get on ATOT. I saw all the threads on planes hitting buildings, etc. It was pandamonium on this forum. I turned on the TV and watched the first tower fall, then I had to get ready to go class.

Classes were canceled that day after our first class. I went to one of the cafe's on campus to eat something and watch the news. The internet news service websites (cnn, etc) were useless that day. After lunch the administration and the Brotherhood of the Holy Cross held a campus-wide mass out on the "south quad". 9K or 10K people showed up, at least. Basically the whole student body of ND and then some. Pretty amazing outpouring of thoughts/prayers.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
I was in the 5th or 6th grade. Morning announcements mentioned it, but then the principal or some staff said to not talk about it or get in trouble (I know, wtf).

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
At the time I worked nights. I had just got home and was playing my new :heart:, Everquest. I was a lv 34 druid quadkiting in BB mountains on dwarf guards. I had just finished off a few guards when the tone of the talking heads on CNN changed tone and made me pay attention. Until then, islam was just stupid and backwards. Now I realize just how dangerous it is to worship a schizophrenic as your prophet.

Sarachan

Sep 11, 2009
9/11 I was at work. They started talking about it in the news, so I turned the TV off, since it was disturbing my co-workers from doing their job. It was more important to finish the job before 6pm, so there could be no interrupts - not even if it was something as tragic as that. After all, if we wouldn't have finished it, it might've been a big problem for the nearby town. For safety reasons, I can't tell you what we were fixing. (I'll assume you'll understand why)

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
8th grade classroom. The teacher was instructing us on how to write a proper heading in our math notebooks. We then heard a loud boom and thought it was the construction outside. The teacher ran out of the room to see what was going on and left the class to itself.We made noise and chattered until we were informed that the WTC was attacked. No one understood the full magnitude of it right then, but we would eventually learn that both towers were to go down. The whole school was dismissed early and our Priest headed to the WTC site to give last rights to anyone who wanted them.

Right after I got home, I turned on my Dell computer with 128mb ram and a celeron processor and began to play Diablo II while chowing down some Chunky's clam chowder.