Where should I start, and any suggestions?(job search)

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Hello :) , I am a undergrad in my final semester in college. I will be graduating in May 2018. I am studying Computer Science with a concentration in Network Security (Cyber Security could be presumed as included inside that). I am looking for a full time entry-lvl job.

The only worry I have is that I never have gone for an internship yet. I also would like to not relocate my self for a job. Thus I am looking somewhere in and around New York City.

I would really appreciate any type of feedback from the forum community.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Are there any companies in NYC that you like or admire a lot? Maybe start on their webpage to see what openings they have? Otherwise, you could always use the newspaper classifieds or one of the million "job sites."

Reactions: Amol S.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
If you have not had an internship or a co-op, then you'll be in sad state against anyone who has. Hopefully you have at least some job experience in your field during college, otherwise you'll really, reallllly need to network and know somebody.

My recommendations:
- Go to the school job fairs. Pick out several companies that you know will be there and genuinely research them and be interested. Talk to their people at the job fairs. You might get a cursory interview just from this
- Network in any way you can. Talk to professors that you have done well with. Talk to other friends who may already have job offers. You need a way in.
- Join any groups you can while still a student (reduced fees typically). This basically goes along with the networking thing. Go to any socials, meetings, etc that they may do.

Your requirement for not relocating is probably achievable, especially since there are plenty of firms in NYC, but also be aware that in such a populous market, they'll have undoubtedly a wealth of people who are better than you, so you'll a) get paid less or b) be passed over.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Hopefully you have at least some job experience in your field during college, otherwise you'll really, reallllly need to network and know somebody.

If you mean job experience as in a part time job in my field, then no, I do not have any job experience.

When you refer to joining groups are you referring to ACM? I am actually thinking of subscribing to ACM.

Also, this may sound weird but I heard somewhere that people actually go for internships after finishing college, is that true, or is it all baloney?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I thought IT and Network Security are two different fields according to a friend I spoke with a few months ago.
Finding IT work was a topic covered extensively and with bad humour in a thread about prospects way, way out of town. Northern Canada (brrrrr). Very informative overall. While you may not wish to leave your area be prepared. The one advantage is the experience it can bring, something you lack now.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-it-in-northern-canada.2532626/#post-39242224

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Don’t get caught in the “waiting for the perfect job” nonsense. (That I heard from my schools career center) Having a job makes for a better resume than a gap of no work.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Are you absolutely unwilling to move? I'd recommend joining the military since cyber security is a hot item right now. You'd also get preferential hiring for various companies and agencies after you get out.

Reactions: IEC

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Are you absolutely unwilling to move? I'd recommend joining the military since cyber security is a hot item right now. You'd also get preferential hiring for various companies and agencies after you get out.
I don't even have a learners permit to drive yet. How do you expect me to get around? New York City has good transit system.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
The only worry I have is that I never have gone for an internship yet. I also would like to not relocate my self for a job. Thus I am looking somewhere in and around New York City.

here's a guy who's making it easy for himself. Good luck!

- Network in any way you can. Talk to professors that you have done well with. Talk to other friends who may already have job offers. You need a way in.

this.

Reactions: IEC

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's an employer's market right now so this won't be easy at all. Best bet is try to find an entry level position at a big enough company and you can move up over time as higher end job postings tend to be internal only and only go external if no one applies. Of course this varies per company, but seems to be how it normally works. A company rather hire someone they already know the performance of, if they can.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Go talk to your career center. Unless you're tops in your class, no one is going to be interested in someone with no experience. So better look for an internship. You don't sound like much of a go getter so far

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Well I did look thru craigslist just now, and found a few, where i complete the requirements.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Stay away from Craigslist. While some of the jobs there are legit...many are just scammers. You're too "green" to be able to know the difference.

indeed.com

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Why? A lot of people in NYC don't own cars or need to drive.
While this may be true, his initial attitude surrounding the comment of 'how do you expect me to get around' isn't great. Odds are very good he will not find a livable salary in NYC as a 'general IT dude', with zero experience. So odds are, he's gonna have to move, and that will come with doing a lot of things he hasn't done before, like drive.

Having to be told 'be a grown-ass adult and figure shit out' should have been knocked out somewhere in HS, not post-college looking for a career.

EDIT:

And OP, in regards to your actual question, be prepared to either a) move, b) take an absolute garbage salary (or none, if you need to intern), c) join the military, or d) some combination of a, b, and c. Right now you're completely unproven, and as far as any IT groups is concerned, useless until proven otherwise. You need some no-kidding experience, and you're probably going to have to claw your way through to make that happen, one way or another.

Reactions: Ns1

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
If you mean job experience as in a part time job in my field, then no, I do not have any job experience.

When you refer to joining groups are you referring to ACM? I am actually thinking of subscribing to ACM.

Also, this may sound weird but I heard somewhere that people actually go for internships after finishing college, is that true, or is it all baloney?

Without any job experience, an internship, or anything of the sort, you are basically un-employable in full time work with any sort of good salary. Unless you are the top of your class, and from a very good school, you have basically no way to justify that you will add anything to an employer. As others have said, you may need to focus on finding an internship, any type of internship (which may not pay) to get your leg in the door. Even people hiring for a temp or contract basis would be hesitant to hire you since you have no real world experience.

I have no idea what industry groups are present in your field. For me (a mechanical engineer) joining ASME, ASHRAE, etc would accomplish what I'm talking about, and with the number of social gatherings, facility tours, etc, you can get solid networking in.

Yes, you can do internships after finishing college. If you look at large companies, they usually will have careers listed for new graduates, or for those graduating soon. Either section would work for you.

I know it is uncommon for this generation, and probably in your industry, but you need to get off your computer and not look for jobs there. Your college must have a career center - go talk to them. Do you have a professor you like or did well in their class - go talk to them. Are there any companies that sponsor labs or anything in your college - look at their websites, find an HR person, talk to them.

Get off craigslist, get off the classifieds, none of those will be what you want. Look at linkedin, look at indeed, hire a recruiter - those are the only things that may help.