Where did your screen name come from?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
A combination of my last name and my wife's maiden name. Before we were married, we chose this username for our first ISP account, and I've kept it ever since.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Here:
snowwhite_240.jpg

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
When I established my internet presence, I wanted to remain anonymous, but I wanted my nick to consist of things that made sense to me, but nobody else.

dj'n - used to dj back in high school
smith - anonymity
7 - always been my favorite number

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Back in my young, impressionable IRC days, I noticed that one of the usual people that I conversed with had changed his name to something cool and Japanese-y! I asked him about it, and he said he could get me a Japanese name too. I was amazed, because everyone knew that something Japanese was cool as they make all the video games -- duh! Of course, I had no idea that all he did was use Jim Breen's. :p Anyway, he asked me what I wanted for a name, and being the (definitely not) suave teen, I said, "The Lover!" 'cause everyone knows that's what I was (not) with the ladies.

I found out a few years later that a better translation for aikouka is actually the fanatic. So instead of being "The Lover," it's more like "The Stalker." :oops:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Chemistry has been a thing of mine since my young days. My original handle was Cyborg back in the 80's. Switched to Alkemyst prior to the end of that decade.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
self given nickname because i have insomnia. contrary to popular belief it is not drug related

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I needed a username for some website and wanted something original sounding. I went to Wikipedia and hit "random article" a few times. Eventually I got an article on Leros, an island in Greece. Means absolutely nothing to me, I just thought it was a neat name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leros