where can i find an 8800 gt?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kaioshade

Jun 17, 2005
This is getting out of hand. Seriously. I know supply and demand but this has to stop.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jaredpace
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
thanks, i found some at newegg too, any way to tell if they are in stock.?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...gt&bop=And&Order=PRICE

If you can "add to cart" then it is in stock. if it says auto-notify, it is not in stock.

um f'in gay - they all say "auto notify" every 1 of them.

Both the EVGA SC & KO are in stock as I type this reply.....chop chop!

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: John

If you can "add to cart" then it is in stock. if it says auto-notify, it is not in stock.

you are a bad person. you know that I've finally decided to go 3870...sort of...but 8800 is available...right now...and it's only 295 shipped...uuuuugggghhhhh...must...fight...green team fever...

seriously, I would much rather have a stock 600/1800 card for $250. That would be very tempting. At 300 it's creeping up too close to the new gts and/or upcoming high end.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: bryanW1995

you are a bad person. you know that I've finally decided to go 3870...sort of...but 8800 is available...right now...and it's only 295 shipped...uuuuugggghhhhh...must...fight...green team fever...

seriously, I would much rather have a stock 600/1800 card for $250. That would be very tempting. At 300 it's creeping up too close to the new gts and/or upcoming high end.

I agree... and it is running hot enough as it is without some factory overclock (that comes with the regular cooler... heck I might aswell be overclocking it myself!)

imported_callo

Oct 29, 2007
WTF the ZIPZOOMFLY.com leechs are asking 399 just for the EVGA OC version...What is going on??? Are the 8800 prices like the Crude Oil....up up up!!!!

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001

Gone!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: callo
WTF the ZIPZOOMFLY.com leechs are asking 399 just for the EVGA OC version...What is going on??? Are the 8800 prices like the Crude Oil....up up up!!!!

I think it is just a crazy price...

A few days after the GT came out I went to frys... they had a a 8800GT for 279$ sitting right next to a BFG overclocked 640MB 8800GTS for 599$... thats the price of a high end GTX, not GTS.. someone must have made an error and overpriced it...

Syntax Error

Oct 29, 2007
Well, in general, e-tailers > brick-and-mortar stores like "Best" Buy; you shouldn't be buying graphics cards from them.

Granted, Fry's is a good place to get computer parts, but that may just be the higher-priced, dumb consumer visit price at a brick-and-mortar place more than anything.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
frys is excellent for that quick fix... when you have a faulty part and need replacement NOW you pay the premium... when you build a whole system it pays to order all the parts online.. it pays a lot.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
This reminds me of the 7900 launch. The cards were available for the first few days and then disappeared from the market for two or three weeks before being widely available again.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
supposedly nvidia had 50k cards in the hards of etailers, plus hundreds of thosands in the hands of system builders and stores...

etailers immidiatly sold out.. it is interesting to note that newegg has been getting stock TWICE A DAY for the first week since lunch and selling out within hours... (then I stopped checking them hourly as I gave up on getting a good deal for it... seeing prices just up and up)..

If you want a card desperately enough to put up with the eggs "no return policy" and huge markups you could check their website every 30 minutes... you should get one that way pretty fast.

AMD says they will have 200k total cards at lunch... which since nvidia claims to have had 50k + "hundreds thosands more" is not a very good figure...

Consdiering 300m people in the USA I would say about 1 in every 2000 people bought a GT the day it was released...

But I recommend that you don't

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: nitromullet
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i feel like grasshoppa. Thank you. Im debate between placing my trusty newegg order in this fashion or going for one of the sites on froogle that has them for 235usd.

I would be willing to bet those sites that are listing it as "in stock" for $235 are full of it, and you'll end up at the end of some long backorder queue. Sometimes you have to do a bit of legwork if you want to get low availability items. Fry's and Best Buy have been known to have them in stock at various retail locations. You can either drive to a few stores to see if they have them or get on the phone. If you actually go to the store, make sure you ask if they have them even if they don't have them on display.

what happens if im at the end of the backorder que, is there a possiblity i wait 2 months only to receive a refund or soemthing?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: nitromullet
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i feel like grasshoppa. Thank you. Im debate between placing my trusty newegg order in this fashion or going for one of the sites on froogle that has them for 235usd.

I would be willing to bet those sites that are listing it as "in stock" for $235 are full of it, and you'll end up at the end of some long backorder queue. Sometimes you have to do a bit of legwork if you want to get low availability items. Fry's and Best Buy have been known to have them in stock at various retail locations. You can either drive to a few stores to see if they have them or get on the phone. If you actually go to the store, make sure you ask if they have them even if they don't have them on display.

what happens if im at the end of the backorder que, is there a possiblity i wait 2 months only to receive a refund or soemthing?

yes it is possible, that is why he warned about it...

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Found out where all the 8800GT's went.

Ebay horders

37 8800GT's available as of this post.

With some of those "But It Now" prices, you'd think they would ship them for free, huh?

Well, I guess it's not a multi-billion dollar per year business for nothing. ::::sigh::::

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
If you search FS/FT for "8800GT" you might find one for a fairly reasonable price...

shameless plug! :eek:

imported_MisterSpoot

Jun 16, 2006
Everywhere I've searched online is sold out.

However I managed to pick one up at the local Best Buy. I didn't drive there and check, I just checked online, paid for it online (reserving it), and waited 15 minutes for the "Your order is ready for pickup" e-mail and picked it up after work.

To check availability in your area (for the BFG one overclocked to 625MHz)...

Best Buy
BFG 8800GT OC - Store Availability

CompUSA
BFG 8800GT OC - Store Availability

ZipZoomFly.com
EVGA 8800GT KO Edition - In Stock

I had to pay sales tax, but... I have the card.

EDIT: Amazon.com, ClubIT.com no longer in stock.

Aiden

Jan 2, 2003
im pretty sure that 399$ price on zipzoomfly is an error. all the other 8xx series cards are 250-300$. you should be able to contact them for an actual price:p

Nov 14, 2007
Has anyone thought of Futureshop.ca ? Even though the Evga 8800GT is like
vapour ware they list 21 XFX 8800GT Alpha dogs @ $299.99 CDN.