where can i find an 8800 gt?

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
have we not reached the official release date yet? Ive seen a lot of posts of people saying that they have gotten their 8800gt's and are oc'ing them and enjoying the incredible frame rates. yet everywhere i look they are OOS!

help!?

math20

Apr 28, 2007
They were released on the 29th but they were all purchased pretty much on launch day. I think the HD3850 release on Thursday will probably cause nvidia to pick up the pace in production.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
nvidia claimed to have 50,000 available at launch. that sounds like a lot, but amd released 30,000 2900 pro's last month with almost zero fanfare and they disappeared VERY fast. The 8800gt absolutely destroys the 2900 pro, plus it has the nvidia name behind it, so 50,000 units is actually a very small number for them. I hate to use the term "paper launch", but nvidia did push up the release date quite a bit to steal amd's thunder.

Amart

Jan 17, 2007
3850 is the 256mb version isn't it?

I wouldn't mention the entry level 256mb versions because modern game engines already require 256mb as bare minimum and even 320mb on our 8800GTS' is showing it's limits.

I understand the 3870 will be directly competing with the 8800GT 512mb.
I wonder how it will do stock vs stock and OC vs OC.

If I had the money, I would wait for an Anandtech or HardOcp review before buying either. ^_^

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: math20
They were released on the 29th but they were all purchased pretty much on launch day. I think the HD3850 release on Thursday will probably cause nvidia to pick up the pace in production.

3850 on thurs. this thurs, or last? the 3850's not out yet is it?

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Amart
3850 is the 256mb version isn't it?

I wouldn't mention the entry level 256mb versions because modern game engines already require 256mb as bare minimum and even 320mb on our 8800GTS' is showing it's limits.

I understand the 3870 will be directly competing with the 8800GT 512mb.
I wonder how it will do stock vs stock and OC vs OC.

If I had the money, I would wait for an Anandtech or HardOcp review before buying either. ^_^

There should be 512mb and 256mb versions of the 3850

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Little help please, and some advice from those who've ordered 8800gt cards from e-tailers. If i order from one of these places that has the sku online, but says no stock or product not yet arrived, would i still be able to receive the card in 2 weeks or so, when nvidia rolls more of them out, or will i likely be notified that a refund is being issued or something of that nature?

What do you suspect? I would like to order from one of these sites with a decent reseller rating that are offering the 8800gt at ~240 USD. i dont need to have the card right away, or i'd goto best buy and get the BFG oc model for 279+tax.

HELP!

craftyy

Nov 13, 2007
I wouldn't expect to find one online for some time. I picked one up this afternoon at Best Buy (BFG OC for $280)

The store I tried to go to didn't have any, but they checked the other stores in the area (Iowa/Nebraska). It was quite comical because it seemed that every store had 3 cards to start with, including the small town stores. In Omaha, only 1 store had 1 card left. In remote cities like Cedar Rapids, Grand Island, and Iowa City, their stores had all 3 in stock.

My advice is to check remote best buys stores :)

Good luck!

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
thank you, i have a feeling that all the early buyers of this card were really lucky. wish i had been reading up.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
Originally posted by: jaredpace
thanks, i found some at newegg too, any way to tell if they are in stock.?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...gt&bop=And&Order=PRICE

If you can "add to cart" then it is in stock. if it says auto-notify, it is not in stock.

Not really, on sunday I added to cart...when I went to checkout it informed me that items had been removed due to availability issues. LOL.

(to be fair, if I went to the full product page it did say it was OOS)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
thanks, i found some at newegg too, any way to tell if they are in stock.?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...gt&bop=And&Order=PRICE

If you can "add to cart" then it is in stock. if it says auto-notify, it is not in stock.

um f'in gay - they all say "auto notify" every 1 of them.

You're trying to find the SINGLE HOTTEST and NEWEST item on the market... it will take time.
Why dont you sign up for the auto-notify, have all your info already saved in neweggs profile. Then you get the email and in two clicks have placed your order.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i feel like grasshoppa. Thank you. Im debate between placing my trusty newegg order in this fashion or going for one of the sites on froogle that has them for 235usd.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i feel like grasshoppa. Thank you. Im debate between placing my trusty newegg order in this fashion or going for one of the sites on froogle that has them for 235usd.

I would be willing to bet those sites that are listing it as "in stock" for $235 are full of it, and you'll end up at the end of some long backorder queue. Sometimes you have to do a bit of legwork if you want to get low availability items. Fry's and Best Buy have been known to have them in stock at various retail locations. You can either drive to a few stores to see if they have them or get on the phone. If you actually go to the store, make sure you ask if they have them even if they don't have them on display.

Splotto

Jan 5, 2001
I received mine from eVGA today. It shipped yesterday. I had ordered it last week (11/4).

they bumped me to next day from 3 day for the delay.

Splotto