Where can I buy magnesium and sodium?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Take a chunk of potassium, wrap it up in cloth and aluminum foil with some steel to weight it down, then chuck the chunk in a lake. :)

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: jumpr
Are there any restrictions about having sodium in your posession? I think it can be sort of dangerous...it's really reactive w/water.
None that I know of. Hell, you can go to WalMart and buy fertilizer.

I saw a video (in class, on VHS = no link) of a guy throwing a kilo of pure Na into a pond. It was great, when it hit the water (Na+water = boom!) there was an explosion and two large chunks of Na went flying into the air . . and back into the water where they split again, and again, and again. It was amazing. Then the guy took out a kilo of potassium and threw that in. It DETONATED like nothing you've ever seen, no large chunks left, only fragments. Which was really cool because as the dust settled on the water, it exploded again, it was crazy.

So you guys should all buy some potassium and lick it!

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: jumpr
Are there any restrictions about having sodium in your posession? I think it can be sort of dangerous...it's really reactive w/water.
None that I know of. Hell, you can go to WalMart and buy fertilizer.

I saw a video (in class, on VHS = no link) of a guy throwing a kilo of pure Na into a pond. It was great, when it hit the water (Na+water = boom!) there was an explosion and two large chunks of Na went flying into the air . . and back into the water where they split again, and again, and again. It was amazing. Then the guy took out a kilo of potassium and threw that in. It DETONATED like nothing you've ever seen, no large chunks left, only fragments. Which was really cool because as the dust settled on the water, it exploded again, it was crazy.

So you guys should all buy some potassium and lick it!

My high school chem teacher tossed a lil chunk of Sodium in a large beaker of water....there was a nice 6 inch red flame burning on the top of the water. It was awesome. He then did a smaller piece of potassium in the fume hood. He tossed it in and quickly closed the hood. It of course detonated and sent sparks throughout the hood and lit a roll of paper towels on fire. I have wanted to throw a big chunk of sodium in a lake ever since. But if I ever do that, I will be sure to spend a few bucks on a digital camcorder so we can all watch it:D

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003

Wow.

I used to do a lot of photography, experimenting around with different developing solutions and so on. There are some pretty intense rules about buying, owning, storing, using, and disposing of chemicals. You need to document this stuff pretty thoroughly if you intend to do it on an ongoing basis. The feds were friendly enough, but fortunately I had very good records. They checked everything, too.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
After watching about 5 of those videos, I thought to myself... "wouldn't $100 worth of fireworks (especially if bought with a buy 1 get 2 free coupon) be a lot more BANG for my buck?" (pun intended)