Where can I buy magnesium and sodium?

Are there any restrictions about having sodium in your posession? I think it can be sort of dangerous...it's really reactive w/water.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
Are there any restrictions about having sodium in your posession? I think it can be sort of dangerous...it's really reactive w/water.
None that I know of. Hell, you can go to WalMart and buy fertilizer.

Lynx516

Apr 20, 2003
Sodium isnt that bad. It does react with water but not as bad as some that will literally explode on contact with water

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003

exactly :D

Places to buy it online?

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Lynx516
Sodium isnt that bad. It does react with water but not as bad as some that will literally explode on contact with water

=sodium in large quantities.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003

It still causes considerable damage if you flush a chunk. :D

Cesium will blow away many things upon contact with water. Heh.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus

It still causes considerable damage if you flush a chunk. :D

Cesium will blow away many things upon contact with water. Heh.
As will Francium. Of course, contact with water is of little concern since Fr is radioactive.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
ebay for the sodium, but i heard you can make your own by doin the electrolisis thing on a molten pool of salt
magnesium you can get at any good metal supply warehouse, care that stuff sucks to put out once it gets burning. walmart sells it to

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001

I think the term was that it reacts VIGOROUSLY ;).

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
ebay for the sodium, but i heard you can make your own by doin the electrolisis thing on a molten pool of salt
magnesium you can get at any good metal supply warehouse, care that stuff sucks to put out once it gets burning. walmart sells it to

walmart sells it? in what form?

goodluck getting salt molten. it's melting temp is like 2k degrees C or something

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Um... where do you live? Is it far away from Ca?

all the way across the country. maaaaine baby!

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! FIRST DOUBLE POST!! w00t!

i mean... damn double posting. grrr...

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: guapo337
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos

walmart sells it? in what form?

goodluck getting salt molten. it's melting temp is like 2k degrees C or something

Camp fire starter.
Commonly used fire starter: You carve off some shavings of magnesium from the block using your hunting knife, then strike the flint with the back of the knife to ignite the shavings. I removed the striker bar (see Cerium for a video of this bar being sparked with a knife). This one was purchased from Walmart in April 2002.
How pure is the magnesium you get at Walmart? Analysis by x-ray fluorescence spectroscopy at the Center for Microanalysis of Materials, University of Illinois (partially supported by the U.S. Department of Energy under grant DEFG02-91-ER45439) gives the following composition:
97.24% Magnesium
1.21% Zinc
1.11% Manganese
0.44% Iron
So, not too bad. It's not reagent grade, but it's decent technical grade magnesium.
Source: Walmart
Contributor: Theodore Gray
Acquired: 15 April, 2002
Price: $4
Size: 3"
Purity: 97.2%