Where are the 120Hz monitors?!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
Originally posted by: Fox5
Originally posted by: Mem
Prad have a review of the Samsung 120Hz 22".

Input lag

The suitability of a monitor for gaming is not only dependent on its response time and streaking formation, but is also largely reliant on the input lag. The SyncMaster does not always function in a lag-free manner: the monitor fluctuates between no lag and a lag of one frame (16 ms) in general. There are also peaks of two frames (32 ms), but these arise very seldom.

From our measurements, we obtained an average input lag of 10 ms. Although this is not ideal, it is still an outstanding result.

I have seen some 60Hz TN LCDs with better input response so yes its trade-off on what you want in LCD for gaming depending on model/type etc..

Samsung 120Hz 2233RZ review

That might be related to the overdrive feature.

BTW, why a 120 hz monitor? That's only useful for 3d glasses, yah?

No, 120Hz makes your mouse movement smoother. It greatly reduces errors caused by RTC. It reduces motion blur and and let's you not use v-sync since it can display 120fps. Also gameplay is much more fluid. It's full of benefits.

Oddly enough, folks with 120Hz HDTVs report that enabling it during gaming causes some interesting artifacting. I've never tried, so I can't say for sure.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Really if people want the film experience they should go for 72hz as that is what movies are shown at .

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: yacoub
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
Originally posted by: Fox5
Originally posted by: Mem
Prad have a review of the Samsung 120Hz 22".

Input lag

The suitability of a monitor for gaming is not only dependent on its response time and streaking formation, but is also largely reliant on the input lag. The SyncMaster does not always function in a lag-free manner: the monitor fluctuates between no lag and a lag of one frame (16 ms) in general. There are also peaks of two frames (32 ms), but these arise very seldom.

From our measurements, we obtained an average input lag of 10 ms. Although this is not ideal, it is still an outstanding result.

I have seen some 60Hz TN LCDs with better input response so yes its trade-off on what you want in LCD for gaming depending on model/type etc..

Samsung 120Hz 2233RZ review

That might be related to the overdrive feature.

BTW, why a 120 hz monitor? That's only useful for 3d glasses, yah?

No, 120Hz makes your mouse movement smoother. It greatly reduces errors caused by RTC. It reduces motion blur and and let's you not use v-sync since it can display 120fps. Also gameplay is much more fluid. It's full of benefits.

Oddly enough, folks with 120Hz HDTVs report that enabling it during gaming causes some interesting artifacting. I've never tried, so I can't say for sure.

Those don't accept 120hz input though, they just interpolate to 120hz.

LokutusofBorg

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2001
I don't think you can "enable" 120Hz. The hardware and the panel simply have their refresh rate. People love to confuse 120Hz panels and the interpolation functionality most 120Hz HDTVs have. You can turn the interpolation on and off, but the panel is always 120Hz.

Could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
For me 20' 21' 22' is fine... more than that... and I get utterly annoyed because with a big screen I have to keep moving my sight a bigger distance tiring my neck...

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SirPauly

I have trouble understanding the idea how 120hz gaming without Stereo3d is so appealing to some.
It's appealing because of its numerous benefits. The fact is, a device that can accept and display a discrete 120 Hz will always be superior to the same device that only does 60 Hz, with or without glasses.

Those 120 Hz TVs are really 60 Hz devices which insert black/interpolated frames. They can't really accept or display a discrete 120 Hz like the Samsung device can.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Originally posted by: LokutusofBorg
I don't think you can "enable" 120Hz. The hardware and the panel simply have their refresh rate. People love to confuse 120Hz panels and the interpolation functionality most 120Hz HDTVs have. You can turn the interpolation on and off, but the panel is always 120Hz.

Could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

HDMI fundamentally can't do it - it's basically a single link DVI connection underneath, which is maxed out doing full HD at 60hz. To do 120Hz at full HD you need dual link DVI, being as this would only be useful to 0.1% of the people buying an HDTV I somehow doubt they would bother supporting it.

saiga6360

Mar 27, 2007
This is my understanding as well. An LCD TV will all frame interpolation turned off goes back down to 60hz.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Wouldn't 120hz require a maximum response time across the entire color spectrum of 8ms? That's pretty difficult to achieve even on a TN panel, much less on a decent display panel.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Originally posted by: BFG10K

I have trouble understanding the idea how 120hz gaming without Stereo3d is so appealing to some.
It's appealing because of its numerous benefits. The fact is, a device that can accept and display a discrete 120 Hz will always be superior to the same device that only does 60 Hz, with or without glasses.

Those 120 Hz TVs are really 60 Hz devices which insert black/interpolated frames. They can't really accept or display a discrete 120 Hz like the Samsung device can.

Don't understand how 120hz gaming without Stereo3d is so appealing to some when compared to a 2d plane and a 3d plane. There are some benefits but the major benefit is the ability to offer 3d stereo to me.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008

Don't understand how 120hz gaming without Stereo3d is so appealing to some when compared to a 2d plane and a 3d plane. There are some benefits but the major benefit is the ability to offer 3d stereo to me.

Paying $200 for glasses is rediculous and until they significantly reduce the price, it won't gain many buyers.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

I'm arguing the merits of 60 Hz vs 120 Hz; the glasses are another issue entirely.

That and the glasses cut your framerate in half, so SLI basically becomes mandatory as higher resolutions start arriving @ 120 Hz.

remety

Jul 13, 2009
Originally posted by: yusux
Originally posted by: binxer
Just buy a 32" LCD TV.

Some LCD TV have huge input lag and they are not suited for competative gaming just so u know.

Reason why I am looking into a 22" or 24" just not sure what to go with I would say I'm a hardcore FPS gamer. I bought the 32" cause it was Black Friday so it was a low price, 1080p and the monitor I had was a loaner lol.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009

I'm arguing the merits of 60 Hz vs 120 Hz; the glasses are another issue entirely.

That and the glasses cut your framerate in half, so SLI basically becomes mandatory as higher resolutions start arriving @ 120 Hz.

SLi isn't mandatory because the need for higher levels of resolution and AA are not essential as one may believe. Just adding x2 AA does wonders and even no AA looks pretty damn good considering each eye is doing 1680 x1050 and shifted. Sli is a welcomed ability but far from being a mandatory though, and a shame that Tri and Quad Sli is not available yet.

It's pretty tough not to discuss Stereo3d considering these displays are GeForce 3d ready and 120hz brings these shutter abilites to the gamer once again. When I look at the 120hz 2d plane and compare it to the 3d stereo plane -- totally different level of immersion and redefines the word -- it's not perfect, ideal in all, has limitations but the immense positive is very impressive. It's a crime to ignore it and only think of these monitors as only 2d to me, sorry.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

SLi isn't mandatory because the need for higher levels of resolution and AA are not essential as one may believe. Just adding x2 AA does wonders and even no AA looks pretty damn good considering each eye is doing 1680 x1050 and shifted.
http://www.pcper.com/article.p...=656&type=expert&pid=6

Those are pretty poor scores in general, and the games aren?t very demanding. Good luck running something like Call of Juarez or Crysis at 1680x1050 without SLI.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009

SLi isn't mandatory because the need for higher levels of resolution and AA are not essential as one may believe. Just adding x2 AA does wonders and even no AA looks pretty damn good considering each eye is doing 1680 x1050 and shifted.
http://www.pcper.com/article.p...=656&type=expert&pid=6

Those are pretty poor scores in general, and the games aren?t very demanding. Good luck running something like Call of Juarez or Crysis at 1680x1050 without SLI.

If one desires to play with x4 AA or higher or settings maxed -- Sli is very welcomed and even tri or Quad Sli would be welcomed when offered eventually. It's not mandatory in many titles based on most titles are not Call of Juarez or Crysis maxed. Personally not saying Sli doesn't offer more performance but not going to blanket it as mandatory or an absolute because this may be based on what the individual is playing and the IQ settings enabled.

There are a lot of owners enjoying Stereo3d without multi-GPU and clearly isn't mandatory. The gaming experience gain may be worth some degradation of frame-rate to some. Gaming is more than just fast frame-rates but a potential gamer may have more frame-rate as GPU's mature and offer more performance and with multi-GPU obviously.

Mandatory translates as an absolute to me and clearly isn't absolute in all. It may be mandatory to you based on your perception of the feature.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Those Samsung monitors are hot!! But I just can't stand the TN's poor color reproduction and viewing angles, I will stick to my P-MVA monitor (If 120Hz P-MVA or IPS monitors ever appear, I might buy one when they get cheaper)