When will 10GBase-T reach the consumer level?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
There is going to get to a point where they will figure it out and you can bring your own device.

It's going to happen.

One may have to give up some privacy/access into their own device to do this, but it's going to happen.

At lower levels, probably too expensive. However; major colleges and organizations (we are Cisco's #1 partner in all technology awards), are adopting this.

We were part of the wireless NFL initiative that was originally deemed insecure, but now everyone is using tablets on the sidelines and sometimes on the field.

There is still a lot of paranoia out there.

In reality, I am sure we are all being seen no matter what device we are on.

If it costs us more money then I don't really care what "they" think.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
If it costs us more money then I don't really care what "they" think.

Agreed.

That is the issue, BYOD almost always costs more money in the end because the cost of support goes up significantly when the IT department is attempting to support personal devices on the network. Including both support costs and risks of things like effective anti-virus management on the network compared to a locked down company device.

In most large companies, it'll likely never happen. Or at best, you'll have guest Wifi access to the internet for your personal device, not corporate network access and using it as your work machine.

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
some of my runs are over 300 feet with Cat6 450MHz, would I still get some benefit from 10Gbps Ethernet or would I have to run new wire?

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
some of my runs are over 300 feet with Cat6 450MHz, would I still get some benefit from 10Gbps Ethernet or would I have to run new wire?

You need to get those runs under 300 first of all, after that...well here is the spec.

10GBASE-T uses the IEC 60603-7 8P8C (commonly known as RJ45) connectors already widely used with Ethernet. Transmission characteristics are now specified to 500 MHz. To reach this frequency Category 6A or better balanced twisted pair cables specified in ISO/IEC 11801 amendment 2 or ANSI/TIA-568-C.2 are needed to carry 10GBASE-T up to distances of 100 m. Category 6 cables can carry 10GBASE-T for shorter distances when qualified according to the guidelines in ISO TR 24750 or TIA-155-A.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
It really just depends. With Cat6, my guess is at those distances you might be better of trying 1000Base-T instead of 10GBASE-T. You might have so much packet loss that it is actually slower than trying to work with a lower frequency protocol on the wire.

I deffinitely would hedge my bets on "it won't work"

For Cat6 and 10GbE, it is spec'd to 55m and 45m for cat5e, so since you are looking at something more than double the spec, no. I'd assume it has no chance of working.

I've run > 100m for Cat5e and 1GbE and it worked okay, but I did also have an abnormal number of transmits, though overall speed wasn't reduced much, but it WAS noticably reduced, which is the only time I have hard a run make an impact in the speed of my network. It was around 500ft of Cat5e (I just put ends on a 500ft box, just to see if it would work). I was up in the range of 1.5% lost packets and I saw about a 6-7% loss in speed compared to a more typical run.

Something tells me if I made it much longer my packet loss rate would have skyrocketed and performance drop through the floor.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

The solution (if you even need 10G at that distance) is to run fiber to an aggregation switch and then copper from there.

Also just because you have 10G at the device doesn't mean you will use that bandwidth usually.