When some professional calls you on the phone and asks to speak to {your name}...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
"He just got arrested, can I take your number and have him call you back in 25 years or so?"

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
Do you say "this is he/she"? "You're speaking to him/her?" Always confused by this.

actually I say... sorry they're not home right now and hang up.

mrzed

Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
This is he/she is the grammatically correct response.

No more gramatically correct than about a million other responses.

IMO, "this is he" sounds stupid. Referring to oneself in the third person is fine for European royalty, but even then, they get made fun of for it.

I strongly suggest "speaking," sounds much more friendly. Nothing unprofessional about not using archaic language.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
*Ring Ring*
Napoleon: Hello?
Trish: Hi.. could I speak with Napoleon?
Napoleon: You already are.
*Awkward silence*

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: CellarDoor
My mom always told me that "this is he/she" was the proper response.

I think this sounds a bit more professional than "you're speaking to him/her". You could always go with "This is <name> speaking", if you think just "speaking" is a bit short or rude. Always pays to be polite when you don't know yet who's calling.

Edit:

I just remembered a related story: Guy we were trying to hire scored well on his resume and application, the management was impressed, and one of the assistant managers called him up to schedule an interview. He picked up and when she asked if he was there he went "Yo.", and there was kind of an echo she said. Apparantly, he was in the can, on a speakerphone. She knows this because when she started to ask if he could come in for an interview, he started screaming and cursing, and yelling about how he spilled his ashes all over his bathroom, and dropped his rolling papers. She promptly hung up, and he didn't get hired (or call back to apologize either).

So yeah, if you're in the can, don't admit to being that person, simply say they'll call back ASAP and get off the dang phone.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
All my calls are screened at my work.

At home, the mystery callers usually mispronounce my last name, so I know to go down the check list:

1. Who is calling?
2. What is this regarding?

Then,

1. If I am interested: "This is [my first name]."
2 If I am somewhat interested: "Now is not a good time. Can you call me back another time soon?" (If, when I get the second call, my interest level has not risen, I move on to the "not interested" reaction.
3. If I am not interested: "Sorry, I am not interested." Click.

The first time I saw "L.A. Story", I hated everything about it except one bit. The Steve Martin character answers the phone and says:

"This is [character name], I am home right now, so at the sound of the tone, please speak to me" Then he hits this little beeper that sounds like an answering machine tone. One day I will use that on a telemarketer.

MotionMan

Malfeas

Apr 27, 2005
Again, it is he/she.

Follow this simple exercise.

He/she is (insert your name). This simple sentence makes sense, Him/her is (insert name) does not.
This is (insert name). You can substitute a persons name for the pronouns he/she.
This is (he/she). See, now it makes sense.