When or Can a unified Europe dethrone the US?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
cybergrave

<< Now we all know which website you visit to see your lost brothers and sisters.
Nice way to locate someone dear to you.
>>

The funniest part of this whole thread is the fact that you actually think you are clever (plus you are so easily drawn into your own humiliation)

cybergrave

Banned
May 8, 2001

This is getting boring, is that the best you can do?

Well at this rate I will reach platinum in a month.

If it is getting boring then do not reply.

cybergrave

Banned
May 8, 2001
The funniest part of this whole thread is the fact that you actually think you are clever (plus you are so easily drawn into your own humiliation)

Look who is talking ..........................................

Now the part about being clever : You just proved I am.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

<< and i think my UE(unified earth) is better then your UE(unified europe) >>

I think in one way united europe is the first step towards an unified earth and the total unified earth will happen long way down the road if we don`t blow ourselves up.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

<< "Capn don't you have anything else to do? "

I do, but watching the new forum clown is much more amusing.
>>

Popcorn ? I just made it fresh :D

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

<< India and China have a GDP growth rate of 5% to 7% a year. Assuming this trend continues, China alone will suprass USA's GDP in next 25 years. ( USA GDP : $9.5 trillion China GDP $ 4.856 trillion) Do the math yourselves (non red necks of course)
India's GDP is now $1.797 trillion. Growth rate is 7 to 8% of GDP. In 25 years its GDP will be ~ 12 - 15 trillion $.

What you morons fail to undrstand is the huge MARKET india and china possess. The size of emerging market there is bigger than the entire population of EU and USA combined. This market is young and remains moslty virgin as of now.
Markets in USA and EU are almost saturated now.
>>

This is considering the US growth remains stagnant. The US growthrate for last year was 5%... and we know last year sucked.

The problem with india is that 35% of it's population is below the poverty line... which is 350 million people. Their GDP per capita is $2,200 compared to the US, which has a GDP per capita of about $36,000.

Right now we're too hung up on the fact that India has such a large population... for some reason we feel that this large population will spend money on goods... unfortunately for US markets... this isn't the way it is... these people are more concered with buying products that will insure their day-to-day survivial.

<< As far as poor people in chian india goes, they will remain poor they can never reach the standard of eupropean or american average people. But when it comes to war or military might, :) there we go. China and India and Russia can sacrifice half their population for nation's defense and no one will raise a word. >>

China's biggest military threat is probably India and India's is definately China. While China's military is powerful... fortunate for us... we're separated by a massive ocean.

<< Sorry but every civilization has its peak and decline. America had its good days. Now its time for that FALL. So get real and open your eyes wide. >>

The US can still stay on top... if we prevent arrogant redneck bitches like Red Dawn from getting too much power. Eventually, even these people will learn that the US will progress much more if the world likes us than if they hate us.

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

<< red neck dawn

your mamma has no clue whom she fu$ked last night

so go ask her
>>

SEE I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD him that his kids were not his own...

and yes... this redneck has a mother for a wife...

dood... don't sweat this dumb F- redneck bitch... he'll always talk S-. I guess it's what preps him to get a stiffy so that he can continue to expand the family shurb.

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
it's interesting how this thread went from the possiblity of europe dethroning the US... to India's nuclear submarine purchasing program.... and then the thing that ATOT is so famous for... S- talking.

reddawn.... btw... STFU and go brush your tooth....

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

<< xyyz

<< Do the math yourselves (non red necks of course) >>

xyyz doing the math himself.. on himself. xyyz exhausted after all that counting
>>

*yawn*

it's come to this now eh? the mental ability has vanished... to be replaced by your typical rednecking... of the "har har... this is you..." picture posting?

it's all too apparent that your father was also your brother and uncle... this repeated inbreeding has really diminished your mental capacity.

btw... check your links... those pages don't come up.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

xyyz

<< it's all too apparent that your father was also your brother and uncle... this repeated inbreeding has really diminished your mental capacity. >>

Well compared to your pathetic "wittle" retorts my picture posting looks almost genius.. Not bad for an inbred:)

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

<< xyyz

<< it's all too apparent that your father was also your brother and uncle... this repeated inbreeding has really diminished your mental capacity. >>

Well compared to your pathetic "wittle" retorts my picture posting looks almost genius.. Not bad for an inbred:)
>>

an inbred would think so... but then again the fact you have 4 fingers on your left hand is "not bad"

besides... if you consider yourself so much better my rednecked incest practitioner.... ummm why don't you simply ignore me?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
xyyz

<< besides... if you consider yourself so much better my rednecked incest practitioner.... ummm why don't you simply ignore me? >>

what and miss all the fun?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
You guys bite . . .

BTW, I've been to Europe, and when I wasn't gasping for breath on a hot day around sweaty smelling taxi drivers who never heard of soap. I was trying to find a hotel that didn't have a "please don't feed the rats" sign.

Ever been to Houston?

European pansies will never dethrone the US. They need the US to bail em out of every war, feed their people, stabilize their money, give them jobs, etc. Then they turn on us and blast our culture, HAH!

Dude the most costly wars in European history . . . were within Europe; albeit we did bail them out. Other than 'Nam we rarely openly engaged in European instigated offenses on other continents (typically we covertly supported wars of independence such as French/Algerian). We are unwittingly positioning ourselves as the 800lb gorilla. We cannot alienate the world b/c they can make it without us. They do need us to continue buying their crap but as developing nations mature they will use their collective power to exert influence within regions (ASEAN) and the world. Europe just has a head-start on this process.

I'm not afraid to be proud of my country and its accomplishments.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. But we cannot turn a deaf ear to legimate complaints. The truth is that our great nation of great people and great achievements . . . have despicable episodes in our distant AND RECENT past. Other countries will continue to beat us over the head with our past until we come to terms about Chile, Iran, Iraq, Algeria, Phillipines, Peru, Nicaragua, Cuba, etc. False statements by regimes (and less than flag-waving ATOT posters) should not go unchallenged. But it's hard to look sincere when we can only find inadequacies in others and superlatives in ourselves.

China is profiting from industrialization which will soon prove hollow w/o enterprise. The main threats to continued US domination of the world economically are its continued progression down a big government path and lack of new markets.

Where is the sacred scroll bequeath to Reagan and his minions that big government is bad unless it is the military? Make a list of countries that spend a comparable % of annual budgets on the military/defense complex . . . not good company. And we did that well before 9/11 apparently defending ourselves from guys that say "eh" after every question, people willing to work for $2/hr, and rafts in the Carribbean. China hollow? Watch as our trade deficeit with China continues to mushroom. And OUR progression to big government was supposedly stymied by electing GWB . . . damn if that wasn't false advertising. Developing populations yearn for new products the problem is that most of the products will be made somewhere other than the USA b/c much of our "industrial complex" has been shipped to another nations in search of lower production costs. Maybe GWB can stymie the exodus with $400B/yr defense spending doled out to the states like so much . . . um, PORK.

GWB, 'pubs, and definitely not 'crats (or rats if you prefer) do not have the will to tell the people the truth about our future. For instance, the White House no longer uses 10yr budget projections in public briefs just 5yr (today's WSJ). We already have Social Security and Medicare. That's mad cheddar until all the old (and next in line to be old) folks croak. Our president says "a promise is a promise . . . and I do what I say I will do". But the math doesn't work. Prescription drug benefits, expanded eligibility, adjustments for inflation, and no decrease in benefits are pipe dreams without a massive infusion of cash (that's tax increases for the fiscally-challenged) or unprecedented economic growth . . . and we know what the Fed thinks about that. I include defense spending in our social welfare, although the promises are only to GD, Boeing, L-M, and whatever senator chairs foreign relations. But it's just as much an entitlement program as anything else b/c 'Pubs always want an increase and Dems' are afraid of looking "soft". So we are already committed to spending well over $1T/yr on stuff that will only get more expensive; plus servicing the $5T (and counting) debt. I'm sorry but we're looking alot like ENE and GBLX.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
BaliBabyDoc,

For the most part well said. I dont mind the govt spending on military, it is at least within the constitution rights of the federal goverment.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Dang, there are some mean people in this thread here or maybe just ONE..wow..I guess ignorance can truly be bliss sometimes eh(lucky me)? I got love for you all! Btw did Red Dawn really kill a mod? oh and another thing my order from BB has NOT BEEN CANCELLED yet..;)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

<<

<< Bah Finland. Me and 4 other guys could go over there, kick a$$, and make it the 51st state in under a week. >>

That reminds me what the soviets thought in 1939 ;). Their plan was to march right in to Helsinki, after defeating the symbolic finnish resistance. 105 days and 200.000 casualties later they had revised their thoughts (as one soviet general said, "we got just enough land to bury our dead"). It took nation of 170 million 105 days to defeat mation with 3.5 million people (not to mention that the finnish army practically had no air force, limited number of artillery and they were short on ammunition). In the end, they had about 1 million men assaulting Finland, supported by huge amounts of artillery, tanks and airplanes.

Am I proud? Damn straight!

If you are interested, I suggest you read "A frozen hell" by William R. Trotter.
>>

Well said, and you have a right to be proud! The Fins are a stoic and persevering bunch. In response to the thread topic, I believe a stronger Europe is a good thing. It's become increasingly evident over the last several decades that the "World Economy" is just that. When one major industrialized nation has economic woes the financial markets of the others are directly and adversely impacted by it. Ofcourse the opposite also holds true as well, When one enjoys prosperity, the others,subsequently, can and do benefit . Another observation for what it's worth, America is Europe, and Asia, and South America, and every other nation. "E Plurubus Unum" no where is this more so than America! Perhaps our greatest strengths are our diversity and freedom of self-expression. The point I'm trying to make, if I may paraphrase is "We have meet the enemy and he is us" We are all of us the same, for there is only one race, the human race. I know what your thinking " What a bunch of tree hugger, hippee crap!" Perhaps, perhaps..........

Novgrod

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2001
I would submit that you should read:

The Stability of a Unipolar World

[search for "stability"]

Here's the key issue: "In the near term, either true unification in Europe and Central Eurasia (the Eruopena Union [EU] becomes a de facto state, or Russia recreates an empire) or the unipolar dominance in each region by Germany, Russia, and China or Japan, respectively, is a necessary condition of bi- or multipolarity. The problem with these scenarios is that regional balancing dynamics are likely to kick in against the local great power much more reliably than the global counterbalance works against the United States. . . . If the EU were a state, the world would be bipolar. To create a balance of power globally, Europe would have to suspend the balance of power locally. Which balance matters more to Europeans is not a question that will be resolved quickly. A world with a European pole would be one in which the French and British had merged their conventional and nuclear capabilities and do mnot mind if the Germans control them. The U may move in this direction, but in the absence of a major shock the movement will be very slow and ambiguous . . . The reemergence of a central Eurasian pole is more remote. . . . For an Asian pole to emerge quickly, Japan and China would need to merge their capabilities. As in the case of Europe and Central Eurasia, a great deal has to happen in world politics before either Tokyo or Beijing is willing to submit to the unipolar leadership of the other."

If you want the nickel summary, it's that the US is a global hegemon, and that US global hegemony is a good thing, and that US global hegemony is going to last for a long time.

As to whomever claimed that Asia would eclipse the EU, one or two thoughts:

Any major development in asia would be Sino-centric. No question about that. Now name some of China's friends in the region. They don't have any. If you think the Indians and the Japanese are going to cooperate with the Chinese to challenge America, well, I think you're misreading Japan and India mightily.

If China wants to achieve the status of rival to the US, it'll have to double its GNP while the US stands still. Its present amazing growth is financed by capitalist footholds and a limited "information revolution." They're already paying the price for this: labor unrest, amazing pollution, corruption, etc. Cf. Stalin's first 5 year plan, his "Dizzy with Success" (too lazy to look up a link).

Half-way attempts at capitalism may blossom for a bit, but the'll fail. When the Chinese get a taste of liberty, they won't so eagerly return to their government's more or less evil exploitation of their labor. Arguably, if they do get a good whiff of democracy, they won't be quite so militant any more :)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OMG, my sides... hurting... can't stop laughing. This little flamewar is the funniest goddam thing I've seen in a long time. Thanks for being easy targets xyyz and cybergrave. :)

And I have to say ditto to what bugsysiegel said.

Let the EU become the world superpower. It'd be fun to sit on the sidelines for a while, talking about how that evil EU is fcking up the world. And think of the money we could save!