when i found out santa claus wasn't real

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006
I'm not sure how old I was, but I deduced it after my mom told me the Easter bunny wasn't real. Tooth fairy came shortly thereafter. All of the illusions of my childhood came crashing down around me that night.

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008
I was 6 and at my babysitters, and one of the older kids started talking about it and all the older kids agreed...I was crushed, but I wouldn't show it...my mom and dad still put on the show for us

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I was 6 I think. I was making my list for santa and my mom told me that I wouldn't be getting the things on that list because there was no santa claus and they didn't have much money that year and they didn't want me to be disappointed. Not fun.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I figured it out pretty early in life. I woke up in the middle of the night and found my parents wrapping gifts when I was like 5 or 6.

Wrapped presents? Santa always had all my goodies already assembled and laid out in ready to play fashion. They just magically appeared overnight, ready to play with.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Wrapped presents? Santa always had all my goodies already assembled and laid out in ready to play fashion. They just magically appeared overnight, ready to play with.

That's a good idea. I'm going to assemble all my son's LEGOs this year. That will be a blast for him! :)

Seriously though, some things we do assemble and have "ready to play" like my daughter's doll house a few years back or before that my son's Thomas table and trains. There still has to be some/most presents to unwrap though. Hell that's half the fun!

<edit> Oh and FWIW, I will never EVER agree to Santa not being real with my children. If they ask I will just say something generic like "its up to you to believe or not..." but I will never EVER say to them "there is no Santa and he is fake"

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
I don't remember when I found out. My daughter is 8, she just found out this year. kids at school told her, and she asked us, and we confirmed it.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Tombstone.jpg

Dammit!!! :(

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
I was really young. I think was 3 and a half.

It didn't make sense to me that all the presents we got were things I knew could be bought in the stores. And I knew things were different in different places around the world, so why is Santa who is at the North Pole only giving us things which can be bought in our area. Plus I knew both my parents and pretty much everybody else was going Christmas shopping like crazy. Over the Christmas season I developed lots of other things that just didn't make sense.

I told my parents I didn't believe them and they kept insisting he was real. I kept arguing with them and they finally gave in and admitted he was fake. I was pissed that they lied to me. It pretty much ruined Christmas that year.

same thing for me but it was in the first grade

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
The other day my roommate and I were on XBL playing MW2 and some kid (probably about 10) kept calling my roommate gay.

We ignored him for a while, then finally he shouts "LISTEN YOU LITTLE FUCKER, SANTA ISNT EVEN REAL SO SHUT UP". The kid just went dead silent. He finished the game then left.

I felt bad.

Well...so is your roomie gay?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
We never really did it for our kids, we still say santa is bringing them stuff but at the same time it's just pretend and our 5 year old constantly reminds us of that. We tell her not to say this to other kids. Not sure how successful it is.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I was a little sad but never really took it hard, and then it clicked in that the Easter bunny and tooth fairy must of not been real either. I was more or less "oh well" and moved on.

Since we had no chimney I used to think Santa come in the house through the plumbing vent that also leads to the bathroom fan, but always wondered how he even fitted in that PVC pipe.

LittleMsSnuggie

Sep 23, 2009
I think I was three or four. My dad was home on leave from Korea. My sister and I were excited to spend Christmas with my father that we got to open one present each (My parents did too) on Christmas eve. While my parents and my sister opened their gifts they kept saying "Thank you, Santa!" The whole time I was thinking "It's only Christmas eve, how the hell did we get our presents from Santa already?"

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
I never believed in santa clause. Not even before kindergarten. I just knew it was bullshit.

AeroEngy

Mar 16, 2006
I don't remember every believing he was real. I had an older brother who probably just told me from the beginning that it was all a hoax.

However, I was responsible for telling everyone in my kindergarten class that Santa wasn't real and made at least one little girl cry.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I don't remember ever really believing in santa. I generally didn't let my parents know I knew for fear of getting less gifts.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
I can't recall when I stopped believing in Santa. Or if I ever really did for that matter. I always had the same attitude at Christmas, and still do.....WHERE'S MY PRESENTS?!?!1!1

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Reminds me of Hanging with Mr. Cooper -

"I remember when I found out Santa Claus wasn't real...I almost drove off a cliff."

"...you were old enough to drive?"

:D

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Santa's not real?????

:':)':)':)':)':)'(

I was pissed and still am that some sort of twisted lie was foisted upon me for the purpose of the adult's amusement. I wrote a paper called the Dark Side of Santa Claus detailing my wish to not do the same to my kids. It didn't go over well with my wife, parents, and in-laws, but I got an A.

El Guaraguao

Diamond Member
May 7, 2008
Anybody remember those spytech toys? I probably had the complete line up. I used to on xmas to see if santa came into out house. then I saw mom putting the gifts under the tree...:(

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Santa's not real?????

:':)':)':)':)':)'(

I was pissed and still am that some sort of twisted lie was foisted upon me for the purpose of the adult's amusement. I wrote a paper called the Dark Side of Santa Claus detailing my wish to not do the same to my kids. It didn't go over well with my wife, parents, and in-laws, but I got an A.

Warning: Thread contains spoilers :awe:

There was a little kid at church who was raised not to believe in Santa Claus. He would run around the room yelling at the top of his lungs that he's not real, he's your parents, blah blah blah. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of the kids :rolleyes: I don't know why you'd raise your kid that way though. It's like not having a birthday cake - what's the big deal, right? Just another day. But it's just a fun thing to do, you know? We could make life as dry as possible, or we could try to enjoy it some. It's not about evil amusement, it's just about having some fun and bringing some joy into your life.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
I asked my grandma, she told me the truth though i wasnt stupid enough to believe it in the first place. 7