When did fixing two teeth cost more than a boob job?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: ric1287
But don't you see.....it only costs them $6!!!!!!!!!! The rest of the money just vanishes into the clouds

Yeah, just like Medicare.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I had to have major dental work done in the states upwards of $5,000+.
All the right and left lower teeth had iether decayed to the popint where the would break off or were in the process. I hate dentists and would never go to a dentists ever for any reason!!
I went to Poland to visist family and ended up in a dental chair. Two weeks later and very pleased with the work and the partial plate that was made and total cost being at the time the exchage rate was 3.5 zloty to 1 dollar american it cost me total $600 American. I was very pleqased with the work done and the professionalism. No pain whatsoever!

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: sixone
Originally posted by: astroidea
Originally posted by: TehMac
The OP is a tool "why isn't this industry regulated?" Regulation only jacks the price up more as dentists have to cover every inch of their asshole with legal protection, fees to the government, and it only leads to a mess where you get fucked more, and then come on AT and bitch more.

Seriously. Government doesn't exist to protect you from life's problems. And you want to regulate a whole industry over $4k, before you even look at any other solutions? Pffft...

o rly?
what data to you have to back up your claims that regulated industry jacks up the price?
stats show that we're BY FAR the highest spenders per capita on healthcare
AND we're nowhere near the top when it comes to health care satisfaction.
But we're tools if we see something wrong with the healthcare industry putting a higher priority on their profits than the well being of the people.
You're right that the industry shouldn't be regulated and insurance companies should be free to deny claims all they want just so they can see a bonus in their salary.

Tool? Teh irony. :laugh:

If you weren't busy cherry-picking your facts, you might notice that the OP wants the dental industry regulated, not the healthcare industry.

And you'd already know that the health care industry IS regulated. If you think it's not regulated well, you have your precious government to thank.

How's that irony for you?
Yeah because dental is sooo not healthcare. OP was in fucking pain and couldn't eat.
I'm still waiting for you or tehmac to provide evidence to support your baseless claims.

You wanna bash my facts? Why don't you go provide some of your own? Cherry picked or not, it is a fact that the US spends the most per capita for healthcare despite it being the least regulated. Go cherry pick me a source that backs up the baseless claims that tehmac was arguing. I double dog dare you.

And obviously the healthcare industry does have some regulation, as well as dental, which is a part of the healthcare industry. But the relevant question is if we need more of it so that it's more accessible and that a root canal doesn't end up costing 4 months salary for someone that's already saving every penny to get by.

BTW, the government's responsibility is to provide life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. You tell me how it isn't the government's responsibility to intervene when honest, hard-working people need to choose between being in pain/not being able to eat or being in undue financial hardship. This isn't exactly someone shopping for braces here.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: TehMac
The OP is a tool "why isn't this industry regulated?" Regulation only jacks the price up more as dentists have to cover every inch of their asshole with legal protection, fees to the government, and it only leads to a mess where you get fucked more, and then come on AT and bitch more.

the Plastic surgery industry is the only medical industry where prices are not rising. And why is this? Because it's allowed to remain competitive unlike the retarded system we have in place now and the communist health plan Obama seeks to Rahm through--hopefully he is thwarted in that effort.

In Japan, they pay only a fraction for medical services there that we do. From that other thread where it costed the OP $554 to get his hand stitched, it costs about $6 in Japan because that's the rate the government sets. You're fucking retarded

And what you fail to mention is that the Japanese government subsidizes medical services. And where do they get the money to do so?

Japan also has one of the highest tax rates in the world. What they don't pay in medical services, they pay in taxes. Whether they used said services or not.

EDIT: And why don't you look into Japan's medical malpractice system? Let me know if that's good enough for you.

While $6 is only a small fraction of the total costs, Japan still spends FAR less per capita on healthcare than the US.
http://www.nationmaster.com/gr...th-spending-per-person

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
after recently paying over 15k to dentists, i can definitely agree they are expensive.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: quackerww

I am currently a full time grad student making $900 a month and living off $50 a month for food.

That's pretty impressive. I thought I was doing very well, my food cost down to $105.65/month. Yeah, I keep track.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I want to thank all you idiots for paying full price for dental services and subsidizing me when I go in there and play hardball knowing he's making 500% markup on his services.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: rhino56
after recently paying over 15k to dentists, i can definitely agree they are expensive.
They probably do their own dental work because they love pain.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: rhino56
They probably do their own dental work because they love pain.

My dentist's wife told me (she was filling in for absent receptionist) that her husband (this guy is past 50) has never had any dental work done on him in his life other than cleaning. He's never even had a single cavity. I asked him about this, and he confirmed. He said that some people's teeth are just not susceptible like other people's are. I was astonished. In contrast, his wife told me about some of her root canal work. I was having my first and only root canal.

I totally trust my dentist. Well, almost. I was in some pain when he was preparing me for the crown on that root canal, and I think he could have numbed me better. That wasn't nice. But usually, he's great. I'm never nervous to go to my appointments. His prices have been going up, though. I've been thinkiing about signing onto the dental plan offered with my Kaiser HMO plan, but haven't done that because I don't know what level of care I would get. I think my dentist is really good, he has worlds of experience how, a very good patient manner (he explains things to my satisfaction), and the people he refers me to on the rare occasion when a referal is necessary are very good, I can depend of that. Yes, I'm paying more than I could be. I'm usually very frugal, but I don't want to gamble with my health.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
I want to thank all you idiots for paying full price for dental services and subsidizing me when I go in there and play hardball knowing he's making 500% markup on his services.

hahaha :laugh:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: JS80

hahaha :laugh:

How do you play hardball with a dentist? Corner him with a baseball bat? :roll: