When did discovery channel become deadliest catch channel?

Rebasxer

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
I used to love discovery, but now any time I turn on the channel, literally at any time of the day, deadliest catch seems to be on. It has to make up 50% of their programming. Every once in awhile they'll throw on an episode of MvW but other than that, its all deadliest catch.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
They only have like 9 shows, so there are always marathons of something or another on.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Don't worry, Fox has said they're going to up the Discovery channel by having a logging truck drive across an ice flow in the Bearing Sea while the driver eats a lobster.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Ugh, no kidding, I was complaining about this a week or two ago. I guess Cash Cab and How It's Made are still on when I get home from work, but other than that...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, they definitely play that show too much. If there going to overplay a show, it should 'Dirty Jobs'. Wait, new episode tonight. Woot!

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
:music: I'm a cowboy........on a steel horse I ride :music:

I've noticed the same thing. A lot of deadliest catch on lately. MvW too, but I find that more interesting anyway. Nothing like watching a guy eat a live frog in HD. :thumbsup:

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
youve seen one miserable fisherman youve seen them all. i dont understand why they have this tv show.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The Discovery channel is a joke. It used to be about actual science. Then it turned into the rednecks welding channel and now it's the fishing channel.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I don't know, but I'm sick of it.
Their shows keep sounding more and more like shitty FOX programming - always everything is about tension, fighting, and people yelling at each other.

How It's Made, Dirty Jobs, and Mythbusters: That's about all I will watch on Discovery anymore.

Their "How'd They Do It" show is irritating, done like it's made for elementary school students, and they say "How'd they do it?" about 50x per episode. "How It's Made" is bad enough with their terribly forced lame puns.

Extreme Engineering - they try to hard to be "extreme" with bad guitar noise and a host that tries to sound "extreme." I'd rather listen to Gandhi as a WWF commentator, or Mother Theresa as a drill instructor.

And during the day they have stupid "haunting" shows on. :roll:
I thought that idiocy was under the jurisdiction of TLC.

If they ever do a "pay-per-channel" thing, I might get Cartoon Network (for Robot Chicken) and Science Channel, assuming that its programming is directed at an age group higher than 5-10, like Discovery Channel seems to be working on.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: bonkers325
needs more How It's Made, Man VS. Wild, and Survivorman reruns!

Ugh, How It's Made is the driest, most boring show ever. The guy who narrates it can put me to sleep in no time. There really aren't any Steve Irwin - style shows on Discovery anymore though - but I guess that's what Animal Planet is for.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Originally posted by: bonkers325
needs more How It's Made, Man VS. Wild, and Survivorman reruns!

Ugh, How It's Made is the driest, most boring show ever. The guy who narrates it can put me to sleep in no time. There really aren't any Steve Irwin - style shows on Discovery anymore though - but I guess that's what Animal Planet is for.
I liked Brooks Moore. Now they have some younger guy doing the show; I find him irritating.
I also love watching efficient automation at work.

But then, I also liked documentaries back when that's what they were: They told you about something happening in the world.
Now everything's jazzed up to appeal to people who don't watch something unless it has explosions, turmoil, and music/noise that causes spontaneous neuron suicide.

Like this "When We Left Earth" show. It's interesting to see the old video footage, but good god, I feel like strangling the producer and director of that show. Every freaking thing is done up with tense dun-dun-DUUNNNNNNN music, everything's about tension, conflict, etc etc. And then every show ends with a nice, ego-stroking uplifting note.
Just make it easy: Shoot yourself in the foot, bleed profusely on the way to the hospital, and then get a blowjob from a nurse. You get the pain, the tension, and the happy ending.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
I always thought it was the "Dirty Jobs or "Mike Rowe" channel...........

It should be damn it!!!!

He narrates Deadliest Catch so you whiners can STFU now.

And unfortunately, does not bring the humor to it like he does in 'Dirty Jobs'. So, GTFO.