• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

What's your main rig's CPU history?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Your and my current GPU are of similar performance (in games). How many ppd does it do in Folding?
Last year I think it did up to ~400kppd. This year, with the new CUDA app, who knows?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Damn! What retail card are those GPUs equivalent to? Wiki says their Capsaicin, but then I drew a blank there on it.

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
Main rig history 2000-2020

Celeron 566
Pentium 4 2.0A
Athlon 64 3000+
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Intel i7 920
Intel i7 4790K
Intel i7 7700K
Intel i7 8700K
Intel i9 9900K
AMD Ryzen 5900X

Living Room rig history 2015-2020

Intel i5 4690K
AMD Ryzen 1700
AMD Ryzen 2700X
AMD Ryzen 3900X

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
OK, I'll join in, just for fun, even though I don't really upgrade/replace my computers very often.

The very first computer I remember having at home was a DEC PC that my Dad brought home from work so he could do extra work at home in the early 80's. I'm not sure the model but I think it was a DEC Rainbow 100 as that's about the right time frame and it looks pretty similar to what I remember.

The first one I actually used was a lovely TI-99/4A. Still have it in a box on a shelf, in fact. Ah, the fond memories of waiting for the next Electronic Fun with Computers & Games magazine to show up so we could find the new programs, spend hours typing them in, saving them on magnetic audio tape, and then have them not work...

Played lots of games on the 8086 clone that was the family computer for a really long time (anyone else remember the TURBO button?). I think it was upgraded to a 386 and eventually to a Pentium 60 in the mid 90's, but I wasn't at home at that point.

I started running the original Seti@Home project somewhere around 2000, so I guess my first personal cruncher would have been the Cyrix 686 that I had at the time, plus a room full of crappy old Pentium 133 and 166 machines at work that just sat there doing nothing most of the time so I (with permission) gave them something to do at night. :sunglasses: Had to learn how to sneaker-net since none of them had Internet access.

Replaced that 686 with an AMD Sempron 2500+ some time around 2005 and overclocked the crap out of the thing. It lasted quite a long time, all things considered, eventually replaced with a Dell with a Core2Duo (don't recall which) that I got for free from my wife's work around 2010.

Went through a few other 2nd hand work machines until I bought an AMAZING new gaming machine from Dell's outlet store with an i5-4570, a 'hybrid' SSD drive (that sucked) and an ATI HD 5670 somewhere around 2015. Swapped the i5 out for an i7 and the HD 5670 for a GTX 1060 a couple of years ago and that blazing fast monster was my main system up until April of 2020 when I finally entered the real world of computing. :D

Current main system is a Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB of 3600Mhz CL16 RAM, multiple SSDs for OS and storage, and the GTX 1060, and an R9 280X with a death wish. Gonna retire the 280X soon as I can't keep it from constantly overheating, and will replace the 1060 when I find something worthy at a not insane price.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol, very odd that 280X overheating, and you'd replaced the heatsink paste too, right? (something I've never bothered to do with any graphics card, including the HD 7870 XT, and it's temperatures are ok).

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Lol, very odd that 280X overheating, and you'd replaced the heatsink paste too, right? (something I've never bothered to do with any graphics card, including the HD 7870 XT, and it's temperatures are ok).
Yes, that's part of what is really strange about it. If I put a thick layer of thermal paste on the GPU, it runs very nicely for a week or so, then starts to overheat again. And when I've opened it back up, there's only a thin layer of clear oily slime on the GPU core, almost like the core is getting so hot that it's melting/dissolving the paste. I've tried three different types of thermal paste and the same thing happens. I've been debating buying a thin thermal pad and putting that on the core instead of paste to see what happens. But I'm afraid that might end up with even worse results...

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Yes, that's part of what is really strange about it. If I put a thick layer of thermal paste on the GPU, it runs very nicely for a week or so, then starts to overheat again. And when I've opened it back up, there's only a thin layer of clear oily slime on the GPU core, almost like the core is getting so hot that it's melting/dissolving the paste. I've tried three different types of thermal paste and the same thing happens. I've been debating buying a thin thermal pad and putting that on the core instead of paste to see what happens. But I'm afraid that might end up with even worse results...
Huh. I searched for high-temperature thermal paste and found this:

Be sure to select the 1/2 oz size to get a halfway decent price ($16.36). I also don't know if it's intended for permanently bonding stuff together or not.

And if that doesn't work, there's this, but I don't even know if it's legal in the USA. :innocent:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks for the suggestions. The product descriptions don't really look like they are intended for processor cooling, but I guess they can't be any worse than what the card is doing now.. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Assimilator1

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
I could've sworn we've done this before (but couldn't find it), although I think it was a long time ago anyway.

Anyhow, after talking to Voodoo5_6k via Rosetta PMs (he's not active here AFAIK), we started talking about old hardware and I listed my old CPUs.
Thought it would be fun to start a thread here about it.
Haha, just saw this by accident and thought: Well, why not finally register in the forums now? Great to see you here! :)

Also: Hi there, everybody! I joined the TeAm for the Covid-19 race against Tom's Hardware.

So, back to topic. I'll also add my list, as I had written it up anyhow during my conversation with @Assimilator1 :) I've just shortened it to the most relevant ones.

CPUs:
Pentium 100
Cyrix 686 PR166
K6 200
Pentium III 450
Pentium III 1000
Pentium 4 3.0 HT
Xeon X3358
Core i7-3930K
Core i7-4960X
Xeon E5-1680v2

GPUs:
ViRGE/DX + Voodoo Graphics
Voodoo3 2000
Voodoo5 5500
Voodoo5 6000
GeForce 3
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
GeForce 6800 GT
GeForce 8800 GT
GeForce GTX 280
GeForce GTX 580
GeForce GTX 780
GeForce GTX TITAN X

Last edited:

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Welcome! You started with a Pentium 100? Wow, you either started late or you are just a baby, not a day over 43! :D
Thanks pops ;) But yeah, the last part is almost spot on :D

I did use my father's 286, and later a 486 laptop, but these weren't really mine, so... excluded ;)

Lol :D

Welcome to the forum Voodoo5 6k, and good to finally see you here :)
Good list :cool:
Thanks :) Yeah, I finally made it here... Thanks to your invitations! And you were absolutely right- I'm already having a lot of fun here :cool:

ASK THE COMMUNITY