What's your favorite coffee blend?

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
Somehow, I've made it all the way to college without ever trying the stuff, but 7:30 am Spanish killing me, so I'm taking suggestions.

Also creamer? Sugar? How much?

- JaAG

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
First thing in the morning, I don't CARE what blend, just so it's got caffiene in it.

Dunkin Donuts is my usual poison

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
black with two tsps of sugar.

when I used to live in Maine, I got Dunkin Donuts coffee with cream/sugar. But there are no DD's around here :(

I don't drink coffee too often, though.

L

Lola

i have unknowingly become a coffee snob really only truly enjoying 100% Kona coffee with a touch of cream. No sugar. Ideally, only real cream, not half and half, etc.

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Taster's choice is the most bitter swill I have tasted. I imagine that is what used motor oil must taste like.

I tried their 100% Colombian when it first came out and it was much better, but smelled like the beans had possibly been slightly burnt during roasting. I wonder if they've fixed that since then.

I'm no coffee connoisseur, so maybe it's supposed to taste like that, who knows. All I know is that with enough sugar and creamer, anything tastes great, even Taster's Choice 0w20.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I order Peruvian french roast online and have my coffee with bout 90-95% coffee and the rest is cream or half n half and bout half teaspoon sugar.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What kind of a blend are we talking about here? Sounds like everyone else thinks blend is the ratio of sugar to cream :D

My favorite blends are:

- Yemeni and Sulawesi or Flores
- Yemeni, Monsooned Malabar and Sulawesi
- Kenya AA and Monsooned Malabar
- A good Mexican (like a quality grade Oaxaca), Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and a Sumatran (maybe even a Lintong)

Overall though, for espresso I prefer the following as single-origin shots:

- Kenya AA. Absolutely outstanding when roasted to what's known as a Full City. Depends on the lot though as some Kenyans can be very acidic.
- Monsooned Malabar. A little funky, sometimes almost mushroomy and always pungent. Roasted a little darker than a Full City makes an outstanding full-bodied espresso.

For french press, vacuum pot, etc. I prefer:

- Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. Probably my favorite. If you'r elucky you'll get dried fruit, balanced acidity and a nice body. Great coffee.
- Kenya AA. Again, it depends on the lot, but it can be great for french press and/or vacuum pot.
- A quality South American. This could include a Guatemalan Antigua, a Mexican Oaxaca, a nice Costa Rican or even perhaps a Columbian. Brazilian coffees are sometimes fitting as well, but overall the profile is that of a low-bodied, smooth cup. Not a lot going on, but great for casual drinking.

I'm going to pull a shot of fresh-roasted Yemeni and Monsooned Malabar right now!

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Descartes
What kind of a blend are we talking about here? Sounds like everyone else thinks blend is the ratio of sugar to cream :D

My favorite blends are:

- A good Mexican (like a quality grade Oaxaca), Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and a Sumatran (maybe even a Lintong)

- Kenya AA. Absolutely outstanding when roasted to what's known as a Full City. Depends on the lot though as some Kenyans can be very acidic.
- Monsooned Malabar. A little funky, sometimes almost mushroomy and always pungent. Roasted a little darker than a Full City makes an outstanding full-bodied espresso.

- Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. Probably my favorite. If you'r elucky you'll get dried fruit, balanced acidity and a nice body. Great coffee.
- Kenya AA. Again, it depends on the lot, but it can be great for french press and/or vacuum pot.
- A quality South American. This could include a Guatemalan Antigua, a Mexican Oaxaca, a nice Costa Rican or even perhaps a Columbian. Brazilian coffees are sometimes fitting as well, but overall the profile is that of a low-bodied, smooth cup. Not a lot going on, but great for casual drinking.

I'm going to pull a shot of fresh-roasted Yemeni and Monsooned Malabar right now!

i knew you'd post here with your high-quality taste ;)

would you recommend anything for drip? Or should I stick to store for that? Remind you, I won't be bringing my popcorn popper/coffee roaster, nor will my super-huge grinder be making the trim down to my dorm.. oh and niether will my espresso machine...so I might be sticking to store-bought brands that I can grind using the grinder at the store (if the store I go to even has that like Kroger does).
either way, are these listed from http://www.sweetmarias.com/ ?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: destrekor

My favorite blends are:

would you recommend anything for drip? Or should I stick to store for that? Remind you, I won't be bringing my popcorn popper/coffee roaster, nor will my super-huge grinder be making the trim down to my dorm.. oh and niether will my espresso machine...so I might be sticking to store-bought brands that I can grind using the grinder at the store (if the store I go to even has that like Kroger does).

For drip I'd have to recommend the same as I would for press or vacuum pot; however, what you really need is a quality drip machine. I'd personally go with either the single-cup pour-overs or perhaps something like the Melitta Pour-Over. Sweet Maria's has some quality single-cup pour-overs if that interests you. The issue of great primacy of course is temperature control and filtering; anything but paper.

I know what you mean about lugging around the grinder, espresso machine, etc. I've taken my espresso machine, roaster and grinder (Mazzer Mini) with me literally over thousands of miles. It's a pain to lug around, but worth it once you get settled. If that's not feasible then I would personally recommend a cheap burr grinder (e.g. Bodum's Antigua--it's a decent grinder) or a quality hand grinder.

If you do end up going to the store, I'd first look for a local roaster. I'm sure you'll find something local. If not, you might want to see if you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats grocery store. Many of them roast in the store, and if not it's usually within a week of the roast date at least.

Good luck :)

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
i have unknowingly become a coffee snob really only truly enjoying 100% Kona coffee with a touch of cream. No sugar. Ideally, only real cream, not half and half, etc.

Visiting Kona does that to you. I know, I've been there and got the 100% Kona. Awesome but $40/lbs is a bit .... much. :p

:D

Usually I get Millstone (Millhouse) Colombian Supremo medium roast with some milk or cream in it. Mmmmmmm

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

My favorite blends are:

For drip I'd have to recommend the same as I would for press or vacuum pot; however, what you really need is a quality drip machine. I'd personally go with either the single-cup pour-overs or perhaps something like the Melitta Pour-Over. Sweet Maria's has some quality single-cup pour-overs if that interests you. The issue of great primacy of course is temperature control and filtering; anything but paper.

I know what you mean about lugging around the grinder, espresso machine, etc. I've taken my espresso machine, roaster and grinder (Mazzer Mini) with me literally over thousands of miles. It's a pain to lug around, but worth it once you get settled. If that's not feasible then I would personally recommend a cheap burr grinder (e.g. Bodum's Antigua--it's a decent grinder) or a quality hand grinder.

If you do end up going to the store, I'd first look for a local roaster. I'm sure you'll find something local. If not, you might want to see if you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats grocery store. Many of them roast in the store, and if not it's usually within a week of the roast date at least.

Good luck :)

i might try and get a cheap burr grinder, better than whirly-blade... but as for drip coffee machine, well I already bought a cheap mr. coffee :eek:
its one of those things, I don't really care so much... plus since I'm a college student, I wasn't really trying to get an expensive drip coffee machine ;)
but yea, my grinder is something similar in size to a Mazzer Mini, and its another line that smaller coffee shops use, but drawing a blank.
Not so sure what I am going to end up doing. Without a car, it could be hard finding a place in town. I know in Columbus there has gotta be coffee roasters somewhere, it's just a matter of where, and if its easy getting there by city bus since we pay a fee automatically to be able to ride it.

L

Lola

Originally posted by: FrustratedUser

Visiting Kona does that to you. I know, I've been there and got the 100% Kona. Awesome but $40/lbs is a bit .... much. :p

Usually I get Millstone (Millhouse) Colombian Supremo medium roast with some milk or cream in it. Mmmmmmm

Yep... most definatly... even after trying Jamaican coffee, its not the same at all.
To me, my kona coffee is a treat and i only brew it once in a while (to save whats left of the bag of beans i have :( )

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

Yep... most definatly... even after trying Jamaican coffee, its not the same at all.
To me, my kona coffee is a treat and i only brew it once in a while (to save whats left of the bag of beans i have :( )

am I right to assume that is a bag of unroasted beans? 'cause I didn't know you roasted Lola :)

L

Lola

am I right to assume that is a bag of unroasted beans? 'cause I didn't know you roasted Lola :)

no... :eek: they are roasted. i just grind em myself. it would be cool to roast my own though!

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
I usually don't drink blends for press coffee (don't use drip). I prefer a good single origin like a yirgacheffe, harrar (2 great ethiopians), a high grown Panama beats kona any day, and not long ago I got some nice aged sumatra.

As for blends, I use those for espresso. My home roasted blends usually end up with a good amount of a brazil, some uganda, yemen, monsooned malabar, and a good ethiopian (above). not necessarily all of them, that would be too much imo. My favorite commercial blend is Intelligentsia's Black Cat, although I'm looking for something that's a lighter roast. I used to like dark roasts but I'm liking lighter roasts more and more.

StarGazerVSP

Banned
Aug 31, 2006
Folders instant coffee.

It all taste the same people.

Instant Coffee FTW, no need for special devices, just pour in hot water.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: StarGazerVSP
Folders instant coffee.

It all taste the same people.

Instant Coffee FTW, no need for special devices, just pour in hot water.

spoken by someone who never tasted a quality cup of coffee.