What's your blood pressure now or was last time you checked?

Jul 27, 2020
I drank some Arabic coffee yesterday in the evening and started having this weird pressure on the back of my head. Figured it must be high blood pressure. Went to the doc for a check. Reading was 126/74. Definitely the highest that I know of. Previous readings would stay below 110/70.

Had a glass of orange juice and copious amounts of watermelon to try to coax the body into reducing it. It may have worked. Don't have a blood pressure monitor.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
  • Love
Reactions: Nicholas17Dominic
Jul 27, 2020
I've heard from people suffering from high blood pressure that digital monitors are useless because they can be wildly inaccurate. They can even be dangerous if you take medication based on their readings as it may lead to too high or too low blood pressure due to the incorrectly reported reading. That's why I went to the doc instead. Didn't want to freak out if my own monitor told me something like 150/120.

• Love

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I've heard from people suffering from high blood pressure that digital monitors are useless because they can be wildly inaccurate. They can even be dangerous if you take medication based on their readings as it may lead to too high or too low blood pressure due to the incorrectly reported reading. That's why I went to the doc instead. Didn't want to freak out if my own monitor told me something like 150/120.
They can be inaccurate, but they are aren't terrible. I don't base medication dosage on them.... I just take readings to help realize how stressed I am.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have developed low blood pressure a few months ago. I bought a blood pressure tester made by BIOS. Works great.

I was at 120 / 80 and I am now around 100 / 60. My doctors are investigating it and I have been going for tests this month and for the next few months.

• Love
Jul 27, 2020
I was at 120 / 80 and I am now around 100 / 60. My doctors are investigating it and I have been going for tests this month and for the next few months.
What's your age? Did you lose a lot of weight? That 60 diastolic means the heart muscle has atrophied, usually due to drastic weight loss in short amount of time. Happened to me. I was constantly around 60 to 67 months after my weight loss. Had to eat two eggs a day for at least two weeks to feel my body bulk up again. I was actually relieved this time when my diastolic finally broke the 70 barrier.

• Love

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
What's your age? Did you lose a lot of weight? That 60 diastolic means the heart muscle has atrophied, usually due to drastic weight loss in short amount of time. Happened to me. I was constantly around 60 to 67 months after my weight loss. Had to eat two eggs a day for at least two weeks to feel my body bulk up again. I was actually relieved this time when my diastolic finally broke the 70 barrier.
I am 58. I lost 60 lbs in 4 months.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have developed low blood pressure a few months ago. I bought a blood pressure tester made by BIOS. Works great.

My sister's blood pressure on occasion has dipped low like yours. She's also on a BP med if I remember correctly. I'll mention this too her since you're both on the same diabetes/weight loss med. Thank you!

Jul 27, 2020
I am 58. I lost 60 lbs in 4 months.
Are you taking statins? If you are, please stop or get a better physician. Weak heart means slower blood flow which will basically starve your entire body of oxygen and nutrients. Statins damage muscle cells and leak myoproteins into blood. When those cells' proteins reach the kidneys, they get damaged too. All you need for better cholesterol is avocado, fatty fish, good quality eggs and oats. You may also take this great supplement:

If you are not taking statins, then whatever meds your doc gave you have serious side effects. Please get a better medical opinion.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Are you taking statins? If you are, please stop or get a better physician. Weak heart means slower blood flow which will basically starve your entire body of oxygen and nutrients. Statins damage muscle cells and leak myoproteins into blood. When those cells' proteins reach the kidneys, they get damaged too. All you need for better cholesterol is avocado, fatty fish, good quality eggs and oats. You may also take this great supplement:

If you are not taking statins, then whatever meds your doc gave you have serious side effects. Please get a better medical opinion.
I take Rosuvastatin.

Myopathy
As with all statins, there is a concern of rhabdomyolysis, a severe undesired side effect. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has indicated that "it does not appear that the risk [of rhabdomyolysis] is greater with Crestor than with other marketed statins", but has mandated that a warning about this side-effect, as well as a kidney toxicity warning, be added to the product label.[20][21]

My doctors are taking all of my meds into consideration.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
My "comfortable" normal is approximately "systolic of 93 or lower down to 90/diastolic of 55-65". If my systolic is above 100, I think I feel like garbage or just not there. This applies to my mother and grandmother, strongly suggesting genetic factors, especially since it was DESPITE constant insulin-stimulation via carbohydrates. That was the essence of my diet before my dental crisis, the crisis being my "receipt" to prove I ate garbage(not twinkies and cake, but rice and wheat) AND to remind me avoiding cheese, eggs, and fatty fish was part of the damage(while my sis did eat the cheese and eggs probably why she had nothing major after 15+ years of no dental cleaning). Avoided cheese because I vomited up Mac and cheese after a period of eating it almost daily. Eggs because factory eggs suck and I HATE the smell when eggs are fried. Never liked fish that much.

112/78 was my "one month from killing long COVID" reading in April of 2021(was confirmed to have it after testing on Feb 13, 2021, I think). Those numbers would be something many want to go down to, but I don't ever want to go back up to.

At times, I feel tyrannized by "The Sampling" as all "advice" is based on whatever "average" American they managed to drag into the lab, and I simply operate at a lower reading in everything. In fact, it is the reason I dread if I land in the hospital and they decide I need to "raise" my blood pressure. It was that reason that made it clear the docs were trying to kill my grandmother or just to screw up my grandmother enough so my mom would "consent" to morphine and/or hospice. Experiences like these are partly why I find the Malthusian-inspired approaches by "pros" to be utterly abhorrent and I consider Europe's embrace of euthanasia as a vision of the future. After all, due process need not be afforded to the dead.
This applied to diet as well. Low carb in medical parlance is 100g. That's high carb for me. 125-150g, I feel the "tickling" of neuropathy.

• Love

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Dude, get outta here with that shit.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That's why I avoid donuts and other generally overly sugared stuff. I think 95% of processed stuff in the supermarket is garbage to me. No way I'm risking having that tingling sensation coz it means my nerves are getting damaged by the high blood sugar.
I am able to induce it via potatoes, pasta, noodles, and rice; I actually prefer carbs in those forms than a sugar overload, even sugar can become repulsive to me if it's like that nasty store cake sugar icing. I actually never ate much "processed" stuff like Twinkies, Ho-Hos, crackers, chips, etc. Actually, the packaged processed stuff got tiresome to eat the few times they did enter the house. If I were explain why...it might be that too much is in them. Too much salt, especially. And vegetable oil is also repulsive.
Bread and cereal were also "repulsive carbs" to me. Never liked bread. Cereal...needed to be sweetened and even then, consumption was very inconsistent.

If I do eat pasta, I take measurements on a scale these days, although using a small saucepan also can limit the ounces cooked to 2-3 oz.

My salt aversion is very real. I hate peanut butter with salt. Can't enjoy eating it. Take it away, oh, now the appetite is not obstructed, and I can down 6-10ozs easy. Which leaves me wondering now if I had been vitamin E deficient for a lot of my life...because I certainly didn't eat foods listed as plentiful in it.

Drinks well, soda was rarely in the house, because mom stuck not only to a budget, but a price threshold. So soda was never in the house unless the price was well below standard price. But she still bought orange juice, sweetened teas, various other juices, or the budget "store brand sweet flavor water" which still contributed to a heavy sugar load in the family diet.

These days, I have shifted "sweets" to more nut butters and fruits. If I do eat a free carb, I would pick pasta because it's not going to break up and jam into the teeth crevices. And I go bland and basic, eating it with just some EVOO, a little salt, cheese, pepper.

• Love
Jul 27, 2020
Jul 27, 2020
I would pick pasta
What about noodles?

While I won't buy pastries, if there's an office party and a cake with thick cream on it, I can't resist it. Usually, I'll end up in the office mini kitchen, helping myself to another slice or more if left or just scooping up the leftover cream from the cake platter and licking it off my fingers.

• Love

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
OK. You must be objecting to the supplement I linked. Worst case, it won't work. At least, it doesn't have side effects, unlike doc approved meds. Even in worst case with that supplement, the placebo effect may improve the person's cholesterol levels.

Posting this for others: https://www.health.harvard.edu/mental-health/the-power-of-the-placebo-effect

I know that you know about it.
Amusing that you are arguing with a real MD.
Unlike the rest of you armchair doctors.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Amusing that you are arguing with a real MD.
Unlike the rest of you armchair doctors.
I would never argue with a real doctor myself. I would just point out that real doctors used to tell housewives that taking up smoking was a healthy activity.

I would also point out that Jurassic Park was when Americans got really fat. That was when McDonald's (1993) started Jurassic sizing all their meals.

COX-2 Selective (includes Bextra, Celebrex, and Vioxx) and Non-Selective Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) started the opioid epidemic. You don't want Percocet or Vicodin. Those are off patent, cheap and addictive. You want Bextra or Vioxx. Lot's of fatal heart attacks ended those billion dollar blockbuster drugs. Their selling point. They were not opioids thus they were non addictive. The bonus is that they were expensive but insurance covered them. Don't worry your premiums will not go up.

Only in America can you advertise pharmaceutical products. Ask for it by name next time you see your doctors. The bureaucracy of the medical system is deeply flawed. As they say, money corrupts absolutely.

I will say if a person is morbidly obese. All of the opinions listed in my post go out the window. Long term high cholesterol and high blood pressure are knocking on deaths door. The idea is to take medications until your body returns to a normal healthy and balanced state.

• Love

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
'Don't listen to doctors! Did they put you on statins? You don't need those! 126/74 is high!' (because 120/80 isn't normal average or anything)

'You're full of nonsense. Please stop trying to be a doctor and give medical advice.'

'wHaT, YoU dOn'T LiKe tHe sUpPlEmEnT I sUgGeStEd?! wHy sO aRgUmEnTaTiVe?!?'

JFC. :rolleyes:

edit to add: last BP on Dec. 20th was 156/98 (it almost always reads higher in a clinic/hospital than at home...doc says it's anxiety that can raise it.) I take amlodepine besylate for my HBP. My cholesterol numbers are fantastic.

Last edited: