What's up with (AMD) Raven Ridge?

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Does anyone know why AMD is waiting until H2 2017 to release Raven Ridge?

That basically means no Zen-based laptops until H2 2017.

lixlax

Nov 6, 2014
Not enough manpower nor money is my guess. They are trying to push out Rysen and Vega which is the right thing to do given the limited resources.

Reactions: CentroX

Stormflux

Jul 21, 2010
Isn't H2 ripe time for Back to school season? I figured that's where most of these APUs would go towards. Granted, that is a mid Q3 window.

Reactions: CatMerc

majord

Jul 26, 2015
Probably because they are not "waiting" . Rather it's not ready yet..
Contrary to some people's belief. Designing, validating, sampling and ramping production of a new SoC, even if it contains already released IP ( zen core, Polaris IGP) Takes considerable time/ resources and $$

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Probably because they are not "waiting" . Rather it's not ready yet..
Contrary to some people's belief. Designing, validating, sampling and ramping production of a new SoC, even if it contains already released IP ( zen core, Polaris IGP) Takes considerable time/ resources and $$

Well, I guess I am surprise Raven Ridge is not a higher priority.

Laptops have been outselling desktops for almost 10 years now.

majord

Jul 26, 2015
True, but they also already have a product in the market, that's at least somewhat competitive in the Low to midrange.
With the one Zeppelin die, they can address two markets , both of which are low volume, but high margi: mainstream/ hgh end desktop, and servers. Both of which AMD currently have pretty much 0% market share

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
True, but they also already have a product in the market, that's at least somewhat competitive in the Low to midrange.
With the one Zeppelin die, they can address two markets , both of which are low volume, but high margi: mainstream/ hgh end desktop, and servers. Both of which AMD currently have pretty much 0% market share

You have to be pretty desperate right now to buy a laptop with one of those AMD processors.

Something like this:

You bought a premium laptop with Intel processor, but the Republicans repealed Obamacare and because you have a pre-existing condition, you premium doubled so you sold your laptop and bought one of those cheap laptops with AMD processors so you can shop online for a new health insurance policy.

Keep politics out of your post.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Well, I guess I am surprise Raven Ridge is not a higher priority.

Laptops have been outselling desktops for almost 10 years now.

Ryzen is a server chip with a different badge on it. Desktop is a nice bonus, not the main target.

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
Probably they need more time to refine frequencies for a given TDP. The APU also should come with Vega graphics, not Polaris, an this could also have contributed to the longer development.

Reactions: Dresdenboy