What's the point of beer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MistaTastyCakes

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2001
I don't get beer either. I'd rather have some sort of flavored drink that'll give me the same buzz as beer without the nasty taste. I have tried and tried yet I simply can't stand the taste of it. :(

For some reason, I love the taste of Jack though. I dunno.

Beer isn't all bad though.. the world population would be nowhere near where it is today without beer goggles ;)

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Ultima
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Um, this is not an American phenomenon. Go to Europe where beer is much more prevalent than it is here. It's something to drink with friends to get buzzed and to have a good time - the alcohol loosens you up and your inhibitions. What's the point of going to a pool hall and taking 5 shots of crown and not being able to drive home? Instead, you go, have 5 beers, have a good time and you're still able to stand up and talk and shoot without looking like an idiot, and you can also drive home.

5 beers? It wouldn't be legal :)

Of course it would, unless you weigh 95 pounds and your'e idea of a "good time" is spending only 20 minutes at a pool hall. ;)

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: MistaTastyCakes
I don't get beer either. I'd rather have some sort of flavored drink that'll give me the same buzz as beer without the nasty taste. I have tried and tried yet I simply can't stand the taste of it. :(

For some reason, I love the taste of Jack though. I dunno.

Beer isn't all bad though.. the world population would be nowhere near where it is today without beer goggles ;)

I used to get those Smirnoff drinks too, just because I wanted to drink but hated beer and hard stuff. I would still drink beer, but I would have much rather have a malt drink. One day I decided wtf I just wanna get some beer, I did, and I've never looked back since. I think it taste great.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I agree all beer tastes bad. I hate people arguing that one beer is better because it tastes great. What a bunch of BS. Anyway, the tastest is not so great but most people can easily drink it. After you drink a few, you will not even tastes the following beers.

Haircut

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Koing
Um, this is not an American phenomenon. Go to Europe where beer is much more prevalent than it is here. It's something to drink with friends to get buzzed and to have a good time - the alcohol loosens you up and your inhibitions. What's the point of going to a pool hall and taking 5 shots of crown and not being able to drive home? Instead, you go, have 5 beers, have a good time and you're still able to stand up and talk and shoot without looking like an idiot, and you can also drive home.

I'm pretty sure 5 beers is over the limit here in England. But your American beers may be lighter? Or you may have higher alcohol limits?

Drinking is definately more prominent in Europe and England. Ages range from 16 in France and about 15 or 16 in Italy to 18 in England. In France they serve beer in McD.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

Our beers are weak compared to yours. On average it's like 5% alcohol by volume. I meant like 5 beers in a couple hours. It depends on what type of beer though. I'd like to go to Germany one day - heard there's some gooooooood $hit over there :) And I didn't mean to imply that drinking and driving is ok, but it's all about knowing your limits
I think American beers are smaller too, isn't a standard beer 12oz there?
If so that's only the equivalent of 3 English Pints.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Staples
I agree all beer tastes bad. I hate people arguing that one beer is better because it tastes great. What a bunch of BS. Anyway, the tastest is not so great but most people can easily drink it. After you drink a few, you will not even tastes the following beers.

Just like people arguing over wine or pasta or oysters, right? People have different likes and dislikes, some people actually like beer.

Be glad you're not in Utah, beer is 3.6% here:disgust:

luvya

Banned
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Staples

Ban him!!

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Oh and it tastes good. You're just a pussy I guess.

I agree.

Why don't you drink yourself a nice pretty pink winecooler? But, don't forget to put a lime in it and one of those umbrella straws.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
alchoamahol :beer::D

Some people really like the taste, I love a good german weissbeer, especially with a fish fry! :D

Occifer

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Oh and it tastes good. You're just a pussy I guess.

I agree.

Why don't you drink yourself a nice pretty pink winecooler? But, don't forget to put a lime in it and one of those umbrella straws.

And then wonder why all of us sucking back the suds are laughing at your pansy ass.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: KillaBong
They're right. Good beers taste good the first glass, but make me want to puke after about two or three. Because getting drunk takes me at least 10-12 beers, I personally like bud light, or maybe a couple less steel reserves( most people seem to hate those). I'm basically with you though on the taste, and I prefer half a fifth of vodka any day!
That's not good beer, though. Sam Adams Boston Lager should be the minimum to be called good.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: dighn
it tastes bad but it also tastes good, just like coffee, or green tea. and the good outweighs the bad

I won't say anything about the tea, but on the coffee...
http://www.sweetmarias.com
You can remove all the bad with 20 minutes or so a week of roasting :).

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Drakkon
some taste good and dont dehydrate you....stop drinking cheap american beer and move to a bit higher class of stuff and you'll find out why so many guys like beer...I can't stand a lot of it but a nice thick lager with a bit of nuttiness is like a delishious meal in itself :D

What is good is not universal but a matter a taste. All beer makes you go to the bathroom.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Lots of people like it with food, and there are many people who take it seriously. I've never had it, but it seems to be as debated over and taken care of as much as wine. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it pointless.

You can also cook with it (grilling, deglasing, marinades, etc).

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
some of you GIRLS should just start drinking smirnoff ice or mikes hard lemonade. ;)

As for me, hand me a nice chilled Sam Adams any day.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
I've dont drink hard liquor it knock me out too quickly and the hangover is much worst.