What's the point of beer?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
8,702
2
81
Your first problem is that you live America. Your second problem, which is related to the first, is that American beers are shite.
 

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
14,530
1
0
instead of drinking beer (or liquor for those that don't want to get drunk "too quickly") why not drink something like schmirnof ice or bicardi?

*this coming from someone that doesn't drink beer*
 

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
2,952
0
0
Originally posted by: Occifer
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Oh and it tastes good. You're just a pussy I guess.

I agree.

Why don't you drink yourself a nice pretty pink winecooler? But, don't forget to put a lime in it and one of those umbrella straws.

And then wonder why all of us sucking back the suds are laughing at your pansy ass.

To each his own I say, if he doesn't like beer, whatever, that's fine with me.
Have fun beating your chests and comparing your d1cks. ;)

Edit: typo
 

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
4,380
0
0
I like the taste of beer very much, but only if it's ice cold right from the fridge and the weather is either warm or hot (better). However, no matter how cool that beer thing is (and it sure is... cool) I think it's best not to overdrink it since it does contain considerable amounts of alcohol and it does cause bellies and basically it's just an alcoholic drink, not a pepsi by far ;). And what young people do nowadays since beer is cheap they drink it like every day and they're killing themselves with it.
 

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
2,893
0
0
Originally posted by: Lucky
Originally posted by: Ultima
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Um, this is not an American phenomenon. Go to Europe where beer is much more prevalent than it is here. It's something to drink with friends to get buzzed and to have a good time - the alcohol loosens you up and your inhibitions. What's the point of going to a pool hall and taking 5 shots of crown and not being able to drive home? Instead, you go, have 5 beers, have a good time and you're still able to stand up and talk and shoot without looking like an idiot, and you can also drive home.

5 beers? It wouldn't be legal :)


Of course it would, unless you weigh 95 pounds and your'e idea of a "good time" is spending only 20 minutes at a pool hall. ;)

Well, if you're a 160 pound male and drink 5 beers you're at .12 BAC. After 2 hours you're down to .10 BAC
A 180 pound guy who drinks 5 beers would be at .11 , then .09 after 2 hours which is straddling the legal limit.

Now, if you're a 100 pound female who drinks 5 beers, well.. .23, and .21, lol. Wasted.

 
Apr 5, 2000
13,256
1
0
Originally posted by: Haircut
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Originally posted by: Koing
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Um, this is not an American phenomenon. Go to Europe where beer is much more prevalent than it is here. It's something to drink with friends to get buzzed and to have a good time - the alcohol loosens you up and your inhibitions. What's the point of going to a pool hall and taking 5 shots of crown and not being able to drive home? Instead, you go, have 5 beers, have a good time and you're still able to stand up and talk and shoot without looking like an idiot, and you can also drive home.

I'm pretty sure 5 beers is over the limit here in England. But your American beers may be lighter? Or you may have higher alcohol limits?

Drinking is definately more prominent in Europe and England. Ages range from 16 in France and about 15 or 16 in Italy to 18 in England. In France they serve beer in McD.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

Our beers are weak compared to yours. On average it's like 5% alcohol by volume. I meant like 5 beers in a couple hours. It depends on what type of beer though. I'd like to go to Germany one day - heard there's some gooooooood $hit over there :) And I didn't mean to imply that drinking and driving is ok, but it's all about knowing your limits
I think American beers are smaller too, isn't a standard beer 12oz there?
If so that's only the equivalent of 3 English Pints.

Yea standard is 12oz. (bottles) At restaurants you can get 32oz schooners though and 20oz drafts though
 

johneetrash

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
3,791
0
0
Originally posted by: MistaTastyCakes
I don't get beer either. I'd rather have some sort of flavored drink that'll give me the same buzz as beer without the nasty taste. I have tried and tried yet I simply can't stand the taste of it. :(

you're such a girl!

*grabs tall bottle newcastle*
 

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
2,932
1
0
My roommate just told me that "beer makes you fat" is a myth. Anybody have proof/disproof?
 

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
5,357
0
76
Can someone explain?
It tastes bad and dehydrates you, so the only reason you would drink it is to get drunk, yet it contains little alcohol so you have to drink alot of something that tastes bad and dehydrates you. Why not drink liquor that doesn't even taste bad and contains much more alcohol? I'm not seeing the logic. Have the beer companies simply conned America into idolizing beer?


Man, you definately are a dork....
 
Jan 31, 2002
40,819
2
0
/shrugs

I know that Bitch Beer (aka Mike's Hard, Smirnoff Ice, etc) are good for getting girls drunk. And then the clothes come off ... ;)

- M4H
 

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
11,624
1
81
I enjoy the taste, and there's nothing like coming home after a long day and having 1-2 beers while grilling some stuff on the BBQ. :)
 
Jan 31, 2002
40,819
2
0
Originally posted by: N8Magic
I enjoy the taste, and there's nothing like coming home after a long day and having 1-2 beers while grilling some stuff on the BBQ. :)

/gasp

BBQing!? But House Of Commons Member Johnny AssPirate says that we're contributing to the pollution problem by using our barbeques!

Oh, hold on, I gotta flip the burgers.

*sizzle*

Mmm, half a pound of beef ...

- M4H
 

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
11,624
1
81
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: N8Magic
I enjoy the taste, and there's nothing like coming home after a long day and having 1-2 beers while grilling some stuff on the BBQ. :)

/gasp

BBQing!? But House Of Commons Member Johnny AssPirate says that we're contributing to the pollution problem by using our barbeques!

Oh, hold on, I gotta flip the burgers.

*sizzle*

Mmm, half a pound of beef ...

- M4H

LOL, that guy got attacked by the Opposition soooooooooooooooooo bad for that comment.

Besides, you guys never get air quality problems up there in polar bear country... do you? :Q:p
 
Jan 31, 2002
40,819
2
0
Originally posted by: N8Magic
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: N8Magic
I enjoy the taste, and there's nothing like coming home after a long day and having 1-2 beers while grilling some stuff on the BBQ. :)

/gasp

BBQing!? But House Of Commons Member Johnny AssPirate says that we're contributing to the pollution problem by using our barbeques!

Oh, hold on, I gotta flip the burgers.

*sizzle*

Mmm, half a pound of beef ...

- M4H

LOL, that guy got attacked by the Opposition soooooooooooooooooo bad for that comment.

Besides, you guys never get air quality problems up there in polar bear country... do you? :Q:p

You must have missed the post I made in Fausto's smog thread about my little town of Crapsville, Ontario, having the worst air quality of the country. API was over 70 that day, IIRC. And I wonder why my eyes burn some days.

- M4H
 

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
13,990
0
0
Originally posted by: badluck
Can someone explain?
It tastes bad and dehydrates you, so the only reason you would drink it is to get drunk, yet it contains little alcohol so you have to drink alot of something that tastes bad and dehydrates you. Why not drink liquor that doesn't even taste bad and contains much more alcohol? I'm not seeing the logic. Have the beer companies simply conned America into idolizing beer?


Man, you definately are a dork....

So you're saying the only reason to drink beer is to not be a dork?
 

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
11,624
1
81
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire


You must have missed the post I made in Fausto's smog thread about my little town of Crapsville, Ontario, having the worst air quality of the country. API was over 70 that day, IIRC. And I wonder why my eyes burn some days.

- M4H

Wow, for the most part though the air up north is fairly good.

Did you know that here in K-W we have some of the worst air quality (on average) in the province? The smog from Nanticoke (coal fired power plant on Lake Erie) and the US cruises right up the Grand River valley and hovers over us. :disgust:

 
Jan 31, 2002
40,819
2
0
Originally posted by: N8Magic
Wow, for the most part though the air up north is fairly good.

Did you know that here in K-W we have some of the worst air quality (on average) in the province? The smog from Nanticoke (coal fired power plant on Lake Erie) and the US cruises right up the Grand River valley and hovers over us. :disgust:

Oh yeah, it's normally great up here. It's just been terrible these past few weeks or so. Don't know why. :p

So, ATOT Ontario BBQ meet? I've got an empty house for the next week. :D

- M4H